• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Time for an Alaskan Snow Trac club

Moose Guy

Hey everyone, we've acquired a growing fleet of Snow Tracs that will eventually be part of an Alaskan based non-profit organization of individuals under a club name that is dedicated to educating the public to how beneficial and cool these off highway track vehicles are. Alaska Moose Federation (AMF) and its programs of keeping moose away from highways in the winter will definitely be part of its focus but we also want to do Search & Rescue, school activities, trail rebuilding, etc. Our goal is to eventually have 10 Snow Tracs mirrored images of each other which would take entire classrooms our for the coolest field trips they ever had. In other words, we want to use the rigs LOTS out in the woods!!!:biggrin:
Palmer #01e.jpg
Here's a group shot in our shop of the group of Snow Tracs with their owners next to them. Mike Niemann, Al Hall, Craig Walker, Walt Hitesman, Steve Apling and Gary Olson.
Palmer #01.jpg
The one on the left is Mike Niemenn's who owns #1949. Mike is on our Animal Planet show as 'Wild Mike'. It's a runner that we will be putting new belting and bearings on in April. The one on the right is owned by the AMF and is #1779. This one has been adopted by Al Hall who is an unbelievable fabricator and tremendous asset to the team. It's also a runner and we're putting a new sprocket and some new belting on in April.
Palmer #01zu.jpg
This one is a legend owned by Craig Walker. Old #1353 ran 1,000 hours last year in the Eureka country throughout the entire year.:brows: That's what they're supposed to do! He's currently rebuilding the exhaust, hanging some lights on it and putting on some new brake parts.
Palmer #01zs.jpg
Craig is a perfectionist and we're glad he's on the team.:clap:
Palmer #01zx.jpg
The next two are owned by Walt Hitesman aka 'Critter' on our Animal Planet Show 'Alaska Moose Men'. The teal one is #1933 and will soon have a new carburetor, belting and paint job and will be running all over the country. #1175 on the right is a 4 cylinder pinto modification that Critter may put a rag top on because he likes the convertible idea with the wind in his crazy hair.:shock: It needs some TLC but not too bad. Critter already has a pair of tracks coming in that will receive new belting as well. There's nothing Critter can't fix!:hammer:
Palmer #01zy.jpg
#251 is owned by Steve Apling. Steve is also the owner of CAC plastics who makes a number of replacement parts for snow tracs (& some planes) who will be a big asset to the fleet in creative knowledge of how to make things when some parts are so scarce for these rigs. His has a fuel injected 4 cylinder which we all look forward to going for a ride in when its done! :w00t2: Knowing Steve, it will be done professionally as with everything he works on.
Palmer #01y.jpg
The last two are a couple of AMF snow (trac) masters #1985 & #1011. #1985 broke an axle which we are attempting to make friends with some fabrication shops to recreate. It is an amazing machine which does not say no to deep snow like we saw in the winter of 2011 up here. #1985 is a complete rebuild which we will be working on completing before next winter.

We're looking for folks in Alaska that own track rigs that are wanting to join an upcoming non-profit organization that will eventually build a network of enthusiasts who want to work on projects, work on rigs, educate the public to what these vehicles can assist with and act as a network of parts and know how in order to make sure to keep 'em going. Even if you don't own one but want to learn how they work, let us know. If you're interested in getting involved, give Walt 'Critter' Hitesman a call at (907) 982-6217 or you can always PM me on the side. Take care, Gary Olson

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
pics of mine both the little snow cat that could and bruits

Attachments

• attachment[2].jpg
    attachment[2].jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 492

fleepavement

I want to thank Gary for getting this posted....

I have photos of some of my travels and loads last year and the rebuild a year ago but.... I am late to getting this years servicing and mods. done and need to haul some fuel and materials to some mines before the rivers go out. Should get them posted during breakup.

Craig Walker aka. fleepavement.

Last edited:

akimp

Great to have people like you in Alaska dedicating your time to help others. I would love to help in the shop and check out those fantastic Snow trac's. I live in Talkeetna and now a couple nice spots to take the rigs next winter. Keep up the good work.

Moose Guy

MBgoinAK,

You bet it's open to newbies. A majority of the group are 'newbies' to Snow Tracs with some salty veterans in the mix. I think it's best that way. I hope you can attend this Saturday out in Palmer. If you have any questions, give Critter (Walt) a call at 982-6217.

Take care,

Moose Guy (Gary)

akimp

Hello All Please vote on the t-shirt design. I was thinking we could have snow-trac or snow-master on back depending on model with the VIN #. Let me know and I will donate to the club. Kind of cornie but could be fun to have them as well. I can order different style shirts but i like the stripes on the steeves and neck. :w00t2:

Attachments

• IMG_5269.jpeg
    IMG_5269.jpeg
    48 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_9002.jpeg
    IMG_9002.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 333

vintagebike

McCall in Western Idaho and Portland are as far north as I can usually go but I'd like to join you as a distance learner. #580052

akimp

No I did not start a club. I was bored at work and was thinking there was going to be a separate club as a off shoot from AMF. I don't have a snow trac but was willing to help and set up a web site and order shirts for fun. Very little activity from the original poster on this though.

Moose Guy

Here's an update from the Alaska Snow Trac Club. Our shop that we were leasing ended up being sold and is becoming a heliport. We've recently been moving in anticipation of our new shop that becomes available later in August.
photo (2).jpg
We did accomplish breaking down some old tracks in anticipation of a big track building party this fall. We think Steve's 1958 model was original because it was a LOT of work to get the cleats free. :hammer:
photo 1.jpg
photo 2.jpg
Here is a our 'Moose Force One' Tucker taking a drive down the road as well.
photo (3).jpg
One of the main reasons this new club was created is to allow Alaska Moose Federation members and other track enthusiasts to work exclusively on moose mitigation programs, off highway trail maintenance and advocacy and also for field trips for students who love these old track rigs.:clap:

AMF will continue to work on habitat enhancement. This year we're enhancing about 2,400 acres around Tok & Glenallen.
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaMS6meAbPc)
We will also be starting another salvage season soon where we pick up an average of 600 moose annually from high moose collision corridors in our state. We recently surpassed 1,000 salvage moose over the past 2 winters. That's a LOT of moose typically at 2 am! :w00t2:
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh_YzeDYOkQ)

Keep watching for updates as the club takes up residence in our new shop this fall.