• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Picked this up on Ebay today

JimR

Charter Member
Lincoln 175 plus Mig welder for $480.00 + $50 = $530.00 delivered. I found it was time to move up to a 220 volt unit. I may keep my Lincoln 135amp unit for small jobs where 220 volts is not easily available,

JimR

Charter Member
The Lincoln 175 amp Mig welder arrived finally today. Nice toy and it works great. Hopefully running a 220V machine will cut down on my electric bill a little bit.

JimR

Charter Member
I can do that for you. I already had the cart and gas bottle from my other Lincoln Mig welder. This is my 2nd Mig welder in less than 3 months. I went from my old Lincoln 100 to a 135 amp Mig for the same price I sold the 100 for. This one cost me a bit more and I don't expect to even come near paying for it with the sale of the Lincoln 135. I bought this with money I am getting for a Chevy Blazer motor that I just sold on Ebay recently. The motor was taking up room and had to go. I'm sure I will get a lot more use out of this for my business.
http://www.mosinnagant.net/Boltman/Boltman.html

Attachments

• DSC00457.JPG
    DSC00457.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC00458.JPG
    DSC00458.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 97

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Hey Jim,

That's funny, I'm considering upping from my 130Amp Mig to something more powerful.

That was a used unit - right?

I'm actually thinking of just buying an Arc welder for really thick stuff. There's a local place with the Hobart Stickmate XL 235 AC/DC 160 on sale tomorrow for around $380.00 - this is the same unit as the Miller Thunderbolt so I figure it is pretty good and it seems more than capable for doing the thick stuff. I'm not planning on doing anything that is thick and pretty so I'm not sure I need more powerful mig.

Good find - you are the deal-meister!

JimR

Charter Member
Hi PB,

Yes, this was a used unit. Other than for the dust on it you wouldn't know it was that used. There are some great deals out there to be had.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Damn you Jim! I just bought a Millermatic 175 on eBay. Not as good a deal as your Lincoln but I think the price of $670 for a new Miller Welder is pretty good! Found an eBay store in Portland, OR that has the best price around. Usually, all the good deals are too far away - no shipping or handling too!

JimR

Charter Member
Nice going on the welder. The best deal I could find on te Licoln 175 Plus new was $766.00. Does your Miller have the infinite amp control? My Lincoln does. I wanted that in a big way this time.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
JimR said:
Nice going on the welder. The best deal I could find on te Licoln 175 Plus new was $766.00. Does your Miller have the infinite amp control? My Lincoln does. I wanted that in a big way this time.

I'm pretty sure all the Miller's have infinite amp control. That's why I had narrowed it down to either the Lincoln 175 Plus or the Miller. I had been looking on Craigslist for ages but nothing was showing up. I had looked occasionally on eBay but since it always seems that the good prices are 100's of miles away, I had kind of given up on it. After your post last night I went and checked eBay and found these Quimby guys in Portland.

I checked two other welding stores today and they both said I should go and buy it from Quimby. So I did.

I got my Clarke 130 Amp welder on Thanksgiving day for $299 and have used it a bit but it is clean and I think I can sell it for close to what I paid for it (maybe more).

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm also happy to get the Miller so the likes of Bob and Dargo don't look down on me too much. I was feeling pretty inferior with all the welding snobs around here and their fancy Miller welders. I'm hoping that maybe I can hang out with them some time, now that I've got a real blue welder.

(I know, I know - I need to upgrade my tractor too.):bling:

JimR

Charter Member
PB, I bought my Lincoln 135 off of Craigslist for $250.00 and sold my Lincoln 100 on there for the same price the next day. I was watching there also for a 175 Plus. I never saw one on there yet. I would have liked to buy a new machine. I just couldn't afford it right now. I'm just wheeling and dealing to set myself up with some new bigger toys. A Super Spilt logsplitter is in the near future.

JimR

Charter Member
I picked up the aluminum kit for my mig welder today and welded up my cutdown ramps for my trailer. Tomorrow I'll post a picture of what I did to them. It sure is nice to be able to lay down a nice bead of aluminum with a mig welder.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
That looks like one big thing that the Lincoln has over the Miller. Miller wants you to buy a spool gun and special adapter to weld aluminum. All to the tune of around $500-700 dollars more! I don't have plans to do much aluminum welding so I'm not sure it's a big issue.

Some how I think you could still weld Aluminum without the spoolgun. It seems odd that every other welder allows you to weld aluminum except the Miller. I suspect you could use the smooth roller and a size bigger tip and get decent (not the best) results with the Miller gun. The Miller gun that ships with the Millermatic appears to be similar to the Hobart gun that ships with the Hobart 180 and they say you can weld aluminum with it.

Anyways, since you are doing aluminum then I think you really got the best welder for the job.

Post the pictures, I'm curious to see how the welds look.

JimR

Charter Member
Gatorboy said:
Jim,

There should be an option on your camera to not put that ugly date onto your images.

I know about the date. It gives me referrence to the work I do. Here's the 13 foot aluminum ramp that I cut into two 6' 6" pieces for my utility trailer. I cut a pie shaped piece out of the sides and closed them back up to make the ends tapered. I also welded both sides of the cutout.

PB, The only difference in the welding for aluminum with the Lincoln is the liner, the guide rollers are smooth and the two guides near the roller are plastic. You do need to use pure Argon gas also. Not bad for a newbie Mig welder and aluminum. I welded aluminum for a few years back in the mid 70's using a Heli-Arc welder and rods. Heli-Arc welding is totally different than the Mig welding.

Attachments

• DSC00468.JPG
    DSC00468.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 46

PineRidge

Back From the Dead
I'm glad you had a good experience with eBay. I've heard a lot of horror stories regarding on-line transactions. I'm a buyer as well as a seller and we (the wife and I) have always had good experiences. My latest acquisition 2 weeks back was a 17" South Bend metal lathe. (3800 pounds worth)

Sounds to me like you got a sweet deal on the welder. It would really be great to be able to weld aluminum like you did.... :applause:

JimR

Charter Member
Mike, Thanks, I did luck out on this one. I've been had a few times. But everytime the seller gave me money back for their lying. Or sent me the parts that were broken. I've sold quite a few items there over the years. But nothing like you have. The lathe would be nice to have too. (smile). I just missed out on a Bridgeport locally. That really irked the hell out of me. It was free and had a working DRO on it and a single phase convertor.

PineRidge

Back From the Dead
I just missed out on a Bridgeport locally. That really irked the hell out of me. It was free and had a working DRO on it and a single phase convertor.

Holy crap I'de hang myself if I missed out on a deal like that.... Especially since I need a phase converter for the lathe.

JimR

Charter Member
PineRidge said:
I just missed out on a Bridgeport locally. That really irked the hell out of me. It was free and had a working DRO on it and a single phase convertor.

Holy crap I'de hang myself if I missed out on a deal like that.... Especially since I need a phase converter for the lathe.

I'm still pissed. I know someone had to offer him money for it. That would have been a very welcomed piece of equipment in my garage.