• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What I picked today

Passingtime2

I knew that I had one good sized cantaloupe hiding in the leaves of my best plant, but what a surprise when I found a second one the same size from the same plant. The two larger ones both measure 23" in dia. I'm sure not a record, but made me smile.

This is the first year I've grown more than one cantaloupe plant, and started all 18 this year from seed saved last year from the best one picked.

Now that I've got cukes, squash, zucchini, okra, and soon tomatoes, over flowing the kitchen, now I also have cantaloupe. The wife is about ready to file for divorce.

I searched the internet and found you can dehydrate cantaloupe, so I'm going to give it a try. Anyone tried it before? I'm going to try some with the rind cut off and with it still on.

Stay tuned!

Attachments

• Cantalope (600 x 400).jpg
    Cantalope (600 x 400).jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 122
  • 3 lg cantalope (600 x 399).jpg
    3 lg cantalope (600 x 399).jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 118

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Those are some beautiful melons ya got there man! (I generally dont tell a guy that :rolleyes: )

I searched the internet and found you can dehydrate cantaloupe, so I'm going to give it a try. Anyone tried it before? I'm going to try some with the rind cut off and with it still on.

Not sure that would be something I would want to do. Im guessing it would have the texture of a sink sponge. :ermm:

Trakternut

Get you a whiskey barrel, fill it with brine and pickle them cants. That'll get 'em outta the kitchen and you'll have a tasty little treat whenever you want!

Passingtime2

I'm only going to try a couple, kinda like a test to see how the texture, taste, etc. turns out. Will know by tomorrow.

Pickled cantaloupe.....that's a new one to try.

The whole agenda here is to preserve garden "stuff" in a way that will handle a lot of whatever, in a short amount of time, with long shelf life and reasonable texture and taste.

never know when the power might go out.........short or long term.

elsmitro

floppy member
Hey, good job! It’s been to dry for my garden to turn out much this year. Probably going to have to add some poo to it for next year; got a lot off the fruit trees, but not nearly as much as the deer have. Anyway, good looking melons! :thumb: