• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

"kewx" posted his Tucker Sno-Cats in the Gallery

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey guys, I just want to welcome a new member: kewx :applause:

Kurt is a Tucker Sno-Cat owner. Tucker is under-represented here on the forums, but it is probably the king of snowcats. American made and still in production. The new Tuckers are mega-$$$ machines that can easily top $100K but are the machine of choice if you want to traverse Antarctica, visit the North Pole, or do anything serious in a miserably remote location. The older Tuckers are THE CLASSIC snowcats and probably the most collectable.

Here is a link to his Photo Gallery http://www.forumsforums.com/pp53/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=429

Kurt shared with me that these are the "before" photos. He's not got any of the in-progress restoration efforts, but maybe we'll get some of those in the future!

This photo is a preview of what you will see in the gallery!

Attachments

• MVC-016S.JPG
    MVC-016S.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 350

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Hey guys, I just want to welcome a new member: kewx
Welcome kewx! Those are some really nice machines you have there! The one pictured in this thread reminds me (for some reason) of an old car...maybe a Studebaker from the 30's or 40's. :D What are your plans for all those toys? They look like some gems in the rough, and with a nice restoration (parade quality, or just an every day chore restoration) they would be awesome.

One thing I noticed about your Tuckers, is they seem to have chosen to place the body higher, and above the tracks, where most of the others I have seen have the body between the tracks. Obviously, this gives more ground clearance under the body, but how effective is that difference? It seems like either style would just "float" on top of the snow.

Anyway....even though I don't have one of these machines, and dont have any reasonable expectations of having one any time soon, I still love reading what you guys are doing with them.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Welcome Kurt! I'm glad you found us! :thumb:

I was wondering, are you planning on restoring to historical perfection or are you planning to restore it and bring it up to more modern standards? ... or somewhere in between?
Either way, it sounds like a very kewl project. Please keep us posted as much as you can.

Doc

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Welcome to the group .

I bet a lot of you guy's do not know that Tucker started out in Grass Valley California . We still have quite a few old Tuckers hiding around here in the back country .

When I first moved here in 1959 the old building was still there . Long gone now .

Grooming Snow

Just what we need is another sick PERSON WHO'S LIKE SNO-CATS & Tucker to top it off :confused2: What is this Forum coming to :pat:
:D Man the picture tells it all , He is just standing there with a great big :snow2_smi

:burp: OK I'll try to be nice :burp: Welcome and post often :thumb: Grooming Snow Of www.snowcountrygroomers.com

kewx

I am currently making the 343A (yellow Sno-Cat ) mechanically formidable. I don't know how much more I can get done this year but it does interfere with fishing.
I do hope to make that SnoCat orange by the fall.
I'll get some photos of the repairs/restoration.

I just installed 2 John Deere bucket seats in the front.
kw

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Welcome to the forums.:applause: Keep the Tucker pics and info flowing with more posts. The older Tuckers are a great piece of history that need to be recognized and publicized more. How soon the past is forgotten if someone does not step up and make it known....:thumb:

kewx

DaveNay said:
Welcome kewx!
Those are some really nice machines you
One thing I noticed about your Tuckers, is they seem to have chosen to place the body higher, and above the tracks, where most of the others I have seen have the body between the tracks. Obviously, this gives more ground clearance under the body, but how effective is that difference? It seems like either style would just "float" on top of the snow.

One thing about Tucker Sno-Cats.... the steel trackers will take you places that the Tucker rubber trackers will not. The bodies on the steel trackers or at least the bodies on mine are made of aluminum much like aircraft. The pontoons on the A series machines are fiberglass. I believe that my yellow 343A Snocat only weighs in at 3500 lbs. The rubber trackers that are modern cannot match the steel trackers for riding over terrain.

I also believe that forward engines climb better. But hey,. what do I know?
kw

kewx

DaveNay said:
Welcome kewx!
Those are some really nice machines you

Oh yeah,... the pontoons turn. When you turn the steering wheel, 2 pontoons turn one way and the other 2 turn the opposite way. This requires that the body and frame be placed above them.

With this turning mechanism, you can easily(relatively) turn around on a sidehill.
kw

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
mtntopper said:
How soon the past is forgotten if someone does not step up and make it known....:thumb:

How True .... If I did not keep reminding you guys that Kristi is the "King of Kats" , I bet you guys would forget me in a week ....;)

Webster's Definition of "Snow Trac" ( sno~trac) n . An flattened impression left in the snow as a vastly superior Kristi ran over its ass ( <-See English for Arse) :applause:

Tommo

SUPER Site Supporter
Welcome to the party Kewx, i'm sure you'll be made to feel welcome and soon realise just how serious and not so serious we are about our Snow Tracs (Machines) we are on this forum, word of advise dont get ambushed by 'BIG AL' or 'BOB', there lurking around every corner waiting !!