• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Eagle released in honor of fallen Wichita soldiers

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
A little different kind of tribute to a couple of local fallen soldiers but perty cool . A short video at the link . :wink:
http://www.ksn.com/news/local/story...soldiers/_flCFs1MFEqTFhwjvqGG-Q.cspx?rss=1802

thumb_1298780339109_0p27206615911688403.jpg

WICHITA, Kansas- Hundreds gathered Saturday at the Mid-America All-Indian Center in Wichita to witness the release of a rehabilitated bald eagle named Spirit. “She was blind, she couldn't stand up, she was very thin,” said Ken Lockwood, with the Eagle Valley Raptor Center.
Spirit was found on Christmas eve with a severe case of lead poisoning. The Eagle Valley Raptor Center rehabilitated Spirit back to 100 percent.
The center then teamed up with local Native American tribes and decided to release Spirit back into the wild. The release was in honor of two Kansas soldiers killed while fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan; Sgt. Eric nettleton and Spc. Thomas Moffitt.
“It means so much to have so many people who are here in support of us and of Eric too and what he did,” said Sandy Nettleton, Eric’s mother.
"Its a beautiful event and its an honor for Tom and that's what its about for me,” said John Moffitt,” Thomas Moffitt’s father.
Native Americans consider eagles to be sacred. The soldiers' families and Spirit were blessed during the ceremony Saturday. They were also given symbolical gifts.
The crowd then headed to the banks of the Arkansas River to watch the bird be released back into the wild.
Spirit’s release means a lot to the families who are still struggling with their losses.
“The loss of Tom has of course been difficult, very emotional,” said Moffitt. "If he’s up in heaven looking down on this, I'm sure he’s smiling.”
Sgt. Nettleton's family said Eric was adventurous and would be thrilled to be a part of the release.
"To see spirit set free just reminds me that Eric is free now,” Nettleton said.