• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

need parts for a 1404

AKdlarson

I am looking for an axle for a Thiokol Imp standard track.
My brother and I took our two sons and our dads Imp out for its first trip in 15 + years. Had a great time till we broke an axle in the middle of the trail. I am hoping to find one here in Alaska, Matsu valley. If not maybe one of you guys in the valley would be up for a little rescue/ adventure. We broke down about 3+ miles in on the gunsight mountain trail. I will post a few pictures as soon as I figure out how.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I believe you need to post 5 times before you can post a picture. Private Message BOGGIE or SNOWTRANS. They both should have axles. You have an OC4 rear transaxle.

AKdlarson

We finaly got out our Imp after a few failed trys tuesday night. Turns out the axle was not broken and only slid out of the gears. I brought it in the garage and pulled out the axle. Found plenty of metal shavings a cracked flange and where someone else had welded the other end back together before. Now I need alot more parts.

18 inchs of snow and -24 F on the hill where it broke.

IMP

Site Supporter
Can you describe better what was broke? Was it part of the OC4 case or axle housing or part of the axle itself.

AKdlarson

The end of the axle housing closest to the sprocket where the bearing plate bolts on broke part of the flange off. The other end had been welded before and was never right. I am very suprised it didn't break sooner. but thats my luck.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I'm trying to get info on a guy who has complete oc4 for $1400 to $1900 Plus all the parts cheap!. Try Pat. o Boggie. They both do excellent work.

IMP

Site Supporter
This could save you some time.

Attachments

• IMP Part numbers.xls
    23.5 KB · Views: 201

AKdlarson

After taking every thing apart. Found that the ring gear is shot, needs bearings, 1 axle tube, and a good cleaning. Found a ring and pinion at Zimmermans, making a new axle tube and got bearings localy.

Here are some pics. from the trip.

Attachments

• websize.jpg
    websize.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 552
  • websize1.jpg
    websize1.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 535
  • websize2.jpg
    websize2.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 541
  • websize3.jpg
    websize3.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 536

Vance

Nice pics!!!

Boy, that sure doesn't look like ideal conditions for repairs.

thanks for sharing,

Vance

AKdlarson

Part # s for OC4 transaxle

rear pinion bearing Timken 31597, race 31523rb
front pinion bearing Timken 15578, race 15523rb
axle bearing, sealed with o-ring Federal RW507
Input shaft seal National / Timken 471765
Differential oil seal CR-13865
Brake cam seal National 450027
Differential bearing Bower 25581, race 25520
Ring and pinion set from Drilling and Trenching including seals, gaskets and pinion shims $1593.00. Newly made not surplus.
Ring and pinion only from Zimmermans $1550.00

Does anyone have a good way of getting the bearing off the ring gear side of the diff. ?

AKdlarson

every thing is almost ready to put back together. New ring and pinion, all new bearings, brake linings, trued axles, some new bracing on the imp and a sloppy paint job. should be in the snow this weekend.

Attachments

• -2.jpg
    -2.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 420
  • new axcle 009.jpg
    new axcle 009.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 423
  • new axcle 010.jpg
    new axcle 010.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 415
  • new axcle 008.jpg
    new axcle 008.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 420
  • new axcle 001.jpg
    new axcle 001.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 421

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
every thing is almost ready to put back together. New ring and pinion, all new bearings, brake linings, trued axles, some new bracing on the imp and a sloppy paint job. should be in the snow this weekend.

That looks pretty good for a new axle tube, might be good to put some ribs on the outside because there is a lot of stress on it being out that far. Still looks like a good job, who did the machine work?

Do you have louvers on your Imp? I have them on mine, but don't know if they were factory or someone did a really good job of fabrication of them for one job...

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
After taking every thing apart. Found that the ring gear is shot, needs bearings, 1 axle tube, and a good cleaning. Found a ring and pinion at Zimmermans, making a new axle tube and got bearings localy.

Here are some pics. from the trip.

Wow, you still have the orginal Alaska Marine and Equipment sticker on your IMP from when it was sold by them new...

night-owl

GOLD Site Supporter
That is the part numbers I was looking for!! I used a 3-jaw puller on the brake drum to remove the bearings and when I reasembled it I shrunk the
side tubes with liquid propane so the bearing slipped back on. Smelly but without a press it works better than a hammer. Did you ever come up with
part # for rebuilding slave cylinders? ~~night owl~~