• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thiokol 201

slowrider

I am thinking of buying this machine but was hoping someone can help me out with how much it weights for transporting it.I still have to go see it but all I know it's a Thiokol 201.Do these have any major issues I should be aware of.There are pictures of it on this sites for sale Forums.Any help would be appreciated.If anyone knows about the year of it that would help.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not real knowledgeable on the vintage thiokols if they have the same axles as the 601 you do have to be careful banging them around as the spindles are kind of fragile. the rest of the machine is pretty simple and reliable. look long and hard at the tracks replacing rubber can be time consuming and look at the grousers and guides if you have to replace a large number of them it can get expensive real quick. here is an example my 2100 needed new inner belts replaced and all the guides were bad the guides go for $20.00 ea. for good used guides as I bought in bulk it saved me $5.00 each so for guides and enough nuts and bolts and shipping I'm up to a little more than $3000.00. so look long and hard at the tracks the 201 appears to have a track similar to the 601 those grousers are becoming kind of scarce. good luck.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Do these have any major issues I should be aware of.

All snow cats either have issues currently or will have issues in the future. It would be a rare snow cat that does not need some type of attention. The severity $$$$$ of attention is what you need to look for when buying any snow cat. Are the repairs needed cheap $$ or costly $$, are parts to make the repairs available and can you do the repairs or will you have to hire someone that can do them? :ermm:

There is usually a reason a snow cat is being sold. Often it is because it is needing attention and the current owner is not wanting to put any more love or $$ into the cat. Sometimes you find the rare one for sale that is ready to go but it will also need love sometime!:biggrin: