• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

IMP carburetor replacement

IMP

Site Supporter
Has anyone found a good carburetor that will bolt up to the Ford V4-104cu in 4cyl. engine that powers the Thiokol Imp or a rebuild kit source for the stock carburetor?

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
You may be able to get a replacement through Ford Power Products .
104 Ford motor parts == Power Products 1-800-944-1776 don or dan
They are in many states . I had a B*tch of a time finding the right rebuild kit for my 104 ford . Let me see if I still have the part numbers and I will post them .Mine runs like a top now .This is the one I have .

Edit : This is showing as my part number for the rebuild kit . I honestly can't remember if it was the right one ,but I have it listed in my parts manual that I made up for the Ford 104 V-4. I think it came from Napa Auto parts

Carberator kit============#CRB2-5520

Attachments

• carb 001.jpg
    carb 001.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 1,005
Last edited:

IMP

Site Supporter
Thanks for the response Big Al. But my Carb dosent look anything like yours. My Imp is early 1970's vintage. Someone told me a volkswagon carb will bolt up and work fine with some flange modification. But I would like to avoid the extra work if possible.

Attachments

• Imp ser#600 Carb.jpg
    Imp ser#600 Carb.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 1,017

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Thought you might need this too . Below is a list of Ford parts used on other Ford motors that will fit a Ford V4 104 Cu. In. motor :

Fuel Pump , Distributor cap and general tune up parts etc . Ask for parts for a 1971 Ford Pinto or Bobact 2000 CC OHC motor .

Pistons , Bearings, oil pump , valves and other internal parts should be the same as a Mercury Capri 159 cu.in. V6 - 2600 CC motor .

TRW also makes a Aluminum Camshaft gear that will replace the "Bakelite" one that is stock . The replacement Camshaft gear is , according to the information I found ,to be 100% better .

The 104 Cu . Inch Ford V4 were also used in Saab 96 and Saab Sonnets of the late 1960's early 1970's.

You might want to look at older style Bobcat type loaders of the 70's at a tractor junkyard . Many also used a a 104 ford .

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks for the response Big Al. But my Carb dosent look anything like yours. My Imp is early 1970's vintage. Someone told me a volkswagon carb will bolt up and work fine with some flange modification. But I would like to avoid the extra work if possible.

Mine is a solex carb. I am told that it was used on volkswagens in multicarb applications, such as the karmin-ghia, etc... not beetles. It may be what they call a pic III
(pic 3) model. It is a bolt on.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Look in Hemmings Motor News for people that specialize in carburetors. I doubt that there is a carburetor that has ever been made that you couldn't get repaired today with the resources of the old car hobby. Finding that "right" person is the task, and that is where HMN comes into play. All the big time restorers advertise in it. Junk...

IMP

Site Supporter
I looked though my notes and found the carburetor that was recomended to me is Solex PICT 30/31. from a Volkswagen bus/bug. I like the idea of switching to a more common carburetor but I want to be sure I get one that is right. I will check into Junkmans suggestion also. Thanks Big Al for the additional info. I knew about the saab sonet and Mercury Capri but not the bobcat or Ford Pinto similarities. I have a pretty good list of proven up to date part numbers list that fit my IMP serial # 600 if anyone wants it just let me know.

IMP

Site Supporter
If anyone is interested I found the carburetor rebuild kit part # for for my IMP. My carb Info is: 28/32 PDSIT-4 Solex. = NAPA rebuild kit # 2-1271A. My rebuild job came out fine and the kit was $13.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
If anyone is interested I found the carburetor rebuild kit part # for for my IMP. My carb Info is: 28/32 PDSIT-4 Solex. = NAPA rebuild kit # 2-1271A. My rebuild job came out fine and the kit was $13.

Great info IMP. :thumb: Was the accelerator pump correct? Last time I bought a NAPA kit for the solex carb the accelerator pump was not correct. I was able to repair my old one from some spare parts laying around. I have forgotten what the kit number sold to me was in the past.

IMP

Site Supporter
I actually didnt rebuild it but a friend of mine did. He said everything went together smooth except for one non critical vent gasket that he reused. I have not used the carb yet but I have full confidence in his carburetor rebuilding abilities. And yes it came with a new accelerator pump. At this time I am in the middle of building new tracks from scratch for my IMP. I should be welding grousers together by this weekend. All 108 of them. After this project I can tell you how the engine runs with the new carburetor rebuild job.

crazeejames

I have the Solex 28/32PDSIT-4 Carb and the 2-1271 Napa rebuild kit worked great, just had to modify one gasket for a vent hole. My problem is that my float is saturated with fuel, causing the engine to flood. Has anybody found a source for a float for these units. I have it tracked down to a VW p/n of:
311-129-391
I went to VW, but it was discontinued in 1991 with NO replacement.
Thanks

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
This is what is on my 70's Imp for Carburation, pretty much the same as yours but mine is converted to a manual choke. The numbers on the pink parts tag are for Ford 11 436 198

You may be able to get the local Ford dealer to give you a number for it or cross it over to another parts supply brand or cross over at the auto part stores....

If you find where to order a kit, let me know I may do the same just to have the parts on hand.

Attachments

• DSCN2422.jpg
    DSCN2422.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 952
  • DSCN2423.JPG
    DSCN2423.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 947

mkntrakes

I looked though my notes and found the carburetor that was recomended to me is Solex PICT 30/31. from a Volkswagen bus/bug. I like the idea of switching to a more common carburetor but I want to be sure I get one that is right. I will check into Junkmans suggestion also. Thanks Big Al for the additional info. I knew about the saab sonet and Mercury Capri but not the bobcat or Ford Pinto similarities. I have a pretty good list of proven up to date part numbers list that fit my IMP serial # 600 if anyone wants it just let me know.

The best replacement carb that i have found is a Weber 32ich this carb works great and is a easy replacement. most import parts suppliers can order they also should have a jetting chart so you can jet it for your altitude

Corolla70

Hi friends
I have 1972 ford taunus (made from germany), and it has got 32 pdsit-4 carburator. I need a Napa carburator repair kit. Where can i buy this kit? Please help me.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

jo5

NAPA didn't have one in stock when I needed one
Wanted $26.00 plus $ 8.00 freight
Got one from O Reilly Auto Parts ( checker Auto ) Walker number #15552A $18.00 they had it in stock
They crossed the NAPA number
Has two different style accelerator pumps and gaskets in it
Hope this helps

Dadbeau

If you need an original 1977 Thiokol Imp V4 Solex carb with 814 hours on it, I have one in great condition that I removed from my Imp. The Solex was running awesome when removed in 2020, but the Imp now has a 2 BBL Weber upgrade for high altitude (10 to12,000' A.S.L.) ops. PM me if you are interested in the 1 BBL Solex carb and/or 1 BBL manifold.

Solex are the two pictures on the left.

Attachments

• IMG_0579.JPG
    IMG_0579.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_0580.JPG
    IMG_0580.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_2252.JPG
    IMG_2252.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 203
  • manifold.jpg