• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Happy 235th to the Marine Corps

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
:respect::flagusa::tiphat::thankyou2Thankyou to all that have & are still serving . The Wife & I try to get involved as much as posible every year sending things to those overseas & its money well spent :wink:

http://www.nctimes.com/news/opinion/editorial/article_9224b124-c795-5453-853d-3ed11f9d8aeb.html

As we mark the Marine Corps' 235th birthday today (Nov. 10), we have a "birthday present" suggestion for people who wish to honor the Leathernecks: Take a moment and send a few bucks to support Operation America Cares, a volunteer group organized by Linda Millimaki and her sisters Roberta Mattice and Darles Wilde, from Millimaki's Escondido home.
On Saturday, the group shipped 150 care packages to Marines in Afghanistan ---- troops who do not otherwise have families sending them mail.
The packages contained assortments of things, including (but not limited to): M&Ms, lollipops, powder drink packets, jerky, nuts and fast-food condiment packages; current magazines, paperback books and crossword puzzles; toiletries such as baby wipes, body powder, rolls of toilet paper, sunscreen, antibiotic ointment, razors, toothbrushes and hand sanitizers; children's art; and letters from donors.
The postage alone for this weekend's effort was $1,875 ---- all donated by private individuals and businesses, as was the stuff inside the boxes.
This labor of love and honor isn't a one-time shot. The next mailing will be put together on Dec. 4 ---- in time for the 235th Marine Corps' Christmas.
To help, contact Millimaki at operationamericacares@gmail.com. Or you can drop off items at North County Times offices. For further information, see the blog at http://operationamericacares.blogspot.com.
Remember that these Marines, these men and women, continue to offer up themselves, sometimes at terrible cost, on behalf of this country.
Whether you agree or not with the policies that send them into harm's way, do not forget them. Do not dishonor them.
Semper Fidelis.
The Marine Corps' birthday is followed a day later by Veterans Day on Thursday, Nov. 11.
The date marks the ending of World War I on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918, as defeated Germany signed the Armistice to "end all wars." Unfortunately, the sentiment didn't quite work out.
So as a reminder to those of us who never served in the U.S. military, please take a moment to thank all who did.

Copyright 2010 North County Times - Californian. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
Happy Birthday USMC

Here's my favorite USMC picture
Painted by Mort Kunstler

The high seas engagement between the USS CONSTITUTION and HMS GUERRIERE presented a wonderful opportunity to show Marines performing their duties during one of the most famous naval battles in United States history.

First Lieutenant William Bush, in command of the fifty Marines aboard "Old Ironsides," stands with one foot on the hammocks near the taffrail, sword drawn and silhouetted against the spray, smoke and fire coming from the captain's cabin below. Bush was killed moments after shouting out for instructions from Captain Isaac Hull, the portly naval officer is seen holding onto the brass rail and pointing.

Of the fifty Marines aboard, fifteen are in the three fighting tops firing down on the deck crew of GUERRIERE. The others comprise the group at the rail firing their muskets, and part of the boarding party, ready with cutlasses and boarding axes. Three Marines kneel in the center foreground, reloading.

The naval gun crews facing GUERRIERE work feverishly while the sailors on the opposite side ready their pikes to repel boarders. In the right foreground, sailors tug frantically on lines from the bowsprit of the British ship in an attempt to lash the ships together. Although the boarding attempt was aborted because of heavy seas, GUERRIERE was hors de combat in little more than fifteen minutes

Attachments

• framingfox_2118_182130058.jpg
    framingfox_2118_182130058.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 115

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
I am an Air Force Veteran of the Vietnam era ('69-'73), and have had the honor and pleasure of being surrounded by leathernecks since that time. I have a school chum who served in 'Nam, and when I moved to Mentor, Ohio in '76 I met "Gunny" in the lobby of the church we joined when we moved. He was an Iwo Jima survivor. Gunny was always a fixture in the lobby in his red Marine Corps League jacket and cover with gold trim, festooned with patches and pins representing his Marine Corps accomplishments, both in service and post-service, on behalf of his fellow Marines and all who have served in the military. I don't ever remember in 34 years, of seeing Gunny without some sort Marine emblem or patch or jacket, letting the world know he was a Marine. He was in more funeral honor guards that he cared to remember, and it was a sad day when he passed away earlier this year. Our church seats 1,200 people, and it was standing room only the day of his funeral.

I worked for 3 years for a firm where I reported to a Marine Reserve Lt. Colonel. We immediately hit it off with a respect for each others service, and had an excellent working relationship. I still remember the day we both watched in awe as the World Trade Center towers were hit by airliners piloted by Muslim terrorists, and we both said almost simultaneously that the country was under attack. It seems that Veterans just know when things are just not right. I also had a Marine Corps C-130 pilot from the 'Nam era (two tours) who reported to me, and for some crazy reason we always addressed each other as "Sir." Respect is a quality I have always noticed from the Marines I have known.

So it' almost serendipitous that the only job I had today was for Steve, a 'Nam Marine vet from the early 60's, who is a member of the Marine Corps League Honor Guard in the local MCL Detachment 555. When I got there this morning and knocked on the door, he hollered for me to just come in. While I was setting up I heard him on the phone wishing someone a happy birthday; it was a fellow Marine. This went on for half an hour as he made call after call, with the final call to a Marine who was an Iwo Jima survivor with Gunny, and now living in an assisted living home nearby. Each call ended with "Semper Fi."

I finished my work and left to get some lunch nearby. I was sitting far from the door when I saw Steve and his wife come in and sit at a table near the door. When my server brought my bill, I asked for Steve's bill and paid it along with mine. As I walked out Steve saw me and I walked over to the table, chatted for a moment, then wished him a Happy Birthday as he waved to his server for his bill. What goes around, comes around. Semper Fi, Steve, and Happy Birthday to all the Marines.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Semper Fi my marine brothers (from a Navy man). Cheers my friends!!!! :happybday: :dancing: :thewave: :beer:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We need to remember marines and all vets tomorrow as well. Sadly the honor and respect they deserve is all too lacking in many folks these days.