• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Mueller prosecutors go low in Manafort trial and are rebuked by judge

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
August 2, 2018
Mueller prosecutors go low in Manafort trial and are rebuked by judge
By Thomas Lifson
A
https://www.americanthinker.com/blo..._manafort_trial_and_are_rebuked_by_judge.html

I am starting to wonder if Robert Mueller is seriously worried about losing his first case to go to trial as special counsel. The prosecutors working for him are using illegitimate means to obtain a conviction and have been rebuked by Judge T.S. Ellis for their underhanded attempts to sway jurors using envy and class hatred instead of the facts of the case.

Peter Doocy reports for Fox News:

Special Counsel Robert Mueller's prosecutors were lectured by a federal judge on Wednesday for the language they've used in the courtroom and more, as the trial of former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort entered its second day.

U.S. District Judge T.S. Ellis III specifically told prosecutors to stop using the word "oligarch" to describe wealthy Ukrainians, whose dealings with Manafort are at the heart of the fraud charges he faces in northern Virginia federal court.

The judge said the term has a "pejorative" meaning and is not relevant in this case. Further, he cautioned that using it could suggest Manafort is associated with bad people – and guilty by association.

"It's not the American way," the judge said. He noted that wealthy donors like George Soros or the Koch brothers also could be considered oligarchs.

That's only part of the pattern of abuse:

The Mueller team was later rebuffed again by Ellis when they [sic] tried to introduce photos that eventually would become public of Manafort's closets filled with suits and high-end clothing.

While it's part of their effort to paint Manafort as a tax scofflaw who spent big on luxury items, Ellis would not allow the photos for now.

"Enough is enough. We don't convict people because they have a lot of money and throw it around," he said.

The judge said the photos would seem "unnecessary, irrelevant" and potentially "prejudicial." Further, he reminded the lawyers that Manafort "is not on trial for having a lavish lifestyle, but for not reporting income on his taxes."

In theory, prosecutors are supposed to pursue justice, not simply victory. But the Mueller team seems to be composed of people motivated by a desire to harm President Trump.

There may be a time bomb waiting to be detonated against the prosecution when the defense presents its case. Jim Hoft of Gateway Pundit features the opinion of Judge Andrew Napolitano of Fox News, pointing out that the DOJ already passed on its chance to prosecute Manafort on these same charges and that this creates opportunity for the defense.

Here's the Transcript via Bizzy Blog:

ANDREW NAPOLITANO: Here's Manafort's defense: I was investigated for all this by the government eight years ago, and I was exonerated. And I'm going to put on the stand as my first witness the young lawyer who exonerated me.

You know who that young lawyer is? Rod Rosenstein.

STEVE DDOCY: What?

NAPOLITANO: Yes! So this is going to be quite a show if they succeed in getting Rosenstein, who now runs the Justice Department —

DOOCY: So why was I innocent then and guilty now?

NAPOLITANO: There you go.

That's correct!
Manafort was "exonerated" by federal prosecutors led by Rod Rosenstein

Here is video of Judge Napolitano making this point on Fox & Friends, and then a later appearance on Neil Cavuto's show being hosted by Trish Reagan:

https://vimeo.com/282575989

I have never had a favorable opinion of Paul Manafort's character and considered it quite possible that he is guilty of the accusations against him of financial crimes (nothing related to Russia, and predating his work on the Trump campaign). But the fact that Mueller has delegated this trial to junior prosecutors and presumably approves their spurious appeals to jurors leads me to believe that his case might be weak.

Rober Mueller caricature by Donkey Hotey.

Attachments

• 2CEE8DE7-EB4D-425C-850F-563E07AB23F0.jpeg
    2CEE8DE7-EB4D-425C-850F-563E07AB23F0.jpeg
    47.2 KB · Views: 43

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Thomas Lifson on the “missing” witness:

August 2, 2018
Mueller team signals it may not call its star witness against Manafort
By Thomas Lifson
A
https://www.americanthinker.com/blo...t_call_its_star_witness_against_manafort.html

There are definite signs of big trouble in the prosecution of Paul Manafort for crimes unrelated to Russia and the Trump campaign. Yesterday saw the judge in the case, T.S. Ellis, rebuke the prosecution for seeking to incite class envy and jealousy among jurors. But for its part, the prosecution let slip a shocking revelation: that it may not even call to the stand its star witness against Manafort, his former business partner Rick Gates.

Jeff Mordock reports in The Washington Times:

The stunning disclosure came as prosecutor Uzo Asonye was questioning an FBI agent about a financial document apparently authored by Mr. Gates. Judge T.S. Ellis III interrupted the testimony to ask why the agent was discussing the memo and not its supposed author.

"He may testify in this case, your honor, he may not," Mr. Asonye said.

Journalists and others immediately scrambled out of the courtroom to the report the revelation, amusing Judge Ellis.

"That's news to me and about 25 others who scurried out of here like rats on a sinking ship," Judge Ellis shot back.

Mr. Asonye attempted to backtrack, telling Judge Ellis that evidence presented will determine which witnesses testify.

But that only elicited a sharp rebuke from the judge.

"You know who you are going to call," he said. "If you are going to call Mr. Gates, this is a waste of time."

The prosecutors may wish to shield Gates from cross-examination by defense attorneys, perhaps fearful that he could wreck their theories of guilt.

On Tuesday, defense attorney Thomas Zehnle blasted Gates in his opening statement. He called Gates a thief and a liar who embezzled millions from Mr. Manafort's company and then committed financial fraud to cover it up.

Mr. Zehnle also alleged Gates, not Mr. Manafort, was responsible for the crimes prosecutors have lodged against his client. Defense attorneys could still call Gates as a witness, but that could prove challenging with[out?] the ability to attack his initial testimony on behalf of the prosecution.

If the prosecution blows this case and the jurors render a "not guilty" verdict, the impact will be profound. President Trump's call to fire Mueller and end the prosecution would start to gain ground. I would not expect Rod Rosenstein to follow through, but the controversy would rage.

Judge Ellis is moving this case quickly, with jury selection – a process that can take days in prominent cases – accomplished on the first day. I have to wonder if the prosecution is now rattled.

Manafort may have reason to smile (caricature by Donkey Hotey).

Attachments

• E429D2A2-159F-4F07-9259-DD95EA457DFC.jpeg
    E429D2A2-159F-4F07-9259-DD95EA457DFC.jpeg
    42.2 KB · Views: 40

rugerman

Looks like the judge is feedup with this whole witch hunt, hopefully he will shut the whole thing down and save some taxpayer dollars.