• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

tilt cab on lmc 1800

martinf

Was raising the cab with the electric pump hydraulic unit. I noticed there was a lot of funny noises, like a chunky sound intermittently...ice crystals in the fluid?
Then it wwouldn't go up any more and now it won't come down either! Pump spins. When Idisconnected the lines at the pump, it shoots fluid. But when iI disconnect lines at the hydraulic raise cylinder and run the pump, no fluid comes out there.
Any ideas whadthe pproblem is and how to rectify?
Thanks

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
sounds like a valve issue try to operate the vale a couple of times both up and down

Dr. Zaugg

According to my parts book there are restrictor/check valves mounted on the base end of both cab cylinders. They are to keep the cab from coming down too fast or dropping if a hose blew out. I think maybe you should heat them with a hair dryer to see if that does the trick. Or: you could have ice jammed at the "tees" where the two cylinders are joined.

martinf

Dr. Z I think you nailed it. I didn't catch that on the diagram, but there they are...restrictors. And Ihope that it is the case with the ice as its either that or something has failed in the lift cylinders. Its pretty scary: iI'vegot the cab stuck most the way up and all the lines OFF of both lift cylinders! Safety rope above, of course. But the cab wwon'tcome down. Left lift cylinder is loose on the end pins but the right one is carrying all the weight. So iIm hoping that tomorrow wwhen I bring some heat up to the shed, Ill melt out some ice out of that restrictor...its either that of the cylinder has failed
....and we have a big snow storm coming in tomorrow. Seems to always go this way.
Thanks for the help.
Martin

Dr. Zaugg

If you have one cylinder that is loose and one solid The solid cylinder is the issue. Put something heavy like a 4X4 under the cab for a solid prop rod before you do ANYTHING else!!!!!! Like right away! or Right now!. The cab can fall at any second!!!!! You must get the weight of the cab on that prop rod. If you have the hoses off EITHER cylinder the whole thing can come down without warning! THEN and ONLY THEN, you can take the restrictors out of the system and hook the hoses up with out them and see if that will let you raise and lower the cab. PLEASE BE CAREFULL HERE!!! I had a friend literally loose his head over a similar issue. I may have a cab cylinder if you need it. I will have to check.
paul

martinf

I appreciate the concern, but not to worry. I put a rope up and over an overhead beam to the cab before I loosened up the bottom fittings. And if I need to lower the cab anything other than hydraulically, I'lluse a chain hoist.
Youch that would be a tough way to go.
Martin

martinf

Got it fixed today. Turns out there was ice in the destructors. Careful application of heat opened things up and then I flushed the lines and drained the reservoir and put new ATF in. Good to go. And just in time for a new big snow hitting the eastslopes of the cascades here in wWashington. Thanks for the help, Paul.
Martin

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I know knowledgeable person on them here in Washington. I can put you in contact if you like. he owns 3 of them.
jim