• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thiokol 1101 #004 1963

Does anyone have the specification sheet or any photos on an original 1101?
Thanks,
John

Attachments

• Thiokol #004-2.jpg
    Thiokol #004-2.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 543
  • Thiokol #004-3.jpg
    Thiokol #004-3.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 533
  • Thiokol #004-5.jpg
    Thiokol #004-5.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 529
  • Thiokol #004-1.jpg
    Thiokol #004-1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 527

socal4t12

here are some better pics of the old rig. i know WANNA is interested in getting it, so i wont post the number and location until he has passed on it. the wife thought i was crazy for doing a u-turn and snapping the pics,,,on our 1st year anniversary!

Attachments

• 1101 data plate.jpg
    1101 data plate.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 479
  • 1101 sticks.jpg
    1101 sticks.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 481
  • 1101 rear.jpg
    1101 rear.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 480
  • 1101 right.jpg
    1101 right.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 475
  • 1101 front2.jpg
    1101 front2.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 479
  • 1101 left2.jpg
    1101 left2.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 474
The unit looks very close if not the one LACFD had in the early 60's. Steve at Peterson indicated that the unit was most likely a prototype.

Attachments

• LACFD Spryte.jpg
    LACFD Spryte.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 450

rsqfd

. the wife thought i was crazy for doing a u-turn and snapping the pics,,,on our 1st year anniversary!

Happy Anniversary and I do appreciate the U-Turn for these are the first photos of an 1101 I have been able to see that more closely look like the b/w photo from LACoFD.

topgun53

I have a totaly original 1101 Thiokol snowcat and I need to get some repairs done on it, clutch repair or replaced. Does anyone know who to contact in Colorado or Utah that would work on something that old? (1963 serial # 2) I am also looking for information and history about this fun little cat. Thanks, Jeff

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
You lucky stiff. Cool cat. I assume Peterson Equipment in Utah works on them, but they are definitely the ones to see for info, etc.

Oh, and don't forget to post some pictures for us to ogle! :thumb:

topgun53

I'll try to post some pics tomorrow. Don't have any digital ones to post tonight. Do you know what town Peterson Equipment is located in?
Jeff

topgun53

Thanks! Do I have to downsize photo files to post them?

I need to build a light weight trail groomer for this little toy. Any ideas on how to build one?

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
I usually upload pictures that are somewhere in the 2k x 1.5k pixel range and they seem to be downsized automatically.

I'm sure within a couple of days the members who know more about such things will deluge you with answers, suggestions, and questions regarding your cat. :thumb: I remember seeing a thread somewhere here about building a groomer.

topgun53

Well, it will be fun to learn more about it. We've had it since '96 and it is real handy when we get a big snow year like this one. My wife thinks driving it is a kick in the pants. I'll look for that thread on the groomer. Thanks for your help.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
So that is what a Kristy Krat towing track rig looks like....

I was checking in the "Towing" section and you wouldn't believe what I found!

Attachments

• AK_Seward_ExitGlacier04115.jpg
    AK_Seward_ExitGlacier04115.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 338

topgun53

OK, so the wife points out to me the cat is not TOTALLY original. The tach is missing (probably stowed away in somebody's barn) but the wires are still there for it and there is a flashing light attached to the top. The old guy that owned it before me put a homemade thermos bottle holder in the cab. It has been repainted and has faded to a funky PINK (ugh, yes it is really pink). Other than that, it is still pretty much original, I think. It runs like a champ but the clutch needs work. It has been used almost every winter and probably has lots of hours on it (was a trail groomer), but it is great for what we need.

If anyone can give me info/suggestions, etc. I'd sure appreciate it. I have the original manual, but haven't dug it out of storage to read about the clutch. I think a lot of the parts are Ford Falcon.

Jeff

Attachments

• serial-#2.jpg
    serial-#2.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 314
  • snowcat-front.jpg
    snowcat-front.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 322
  • interior-cat.jpg
    interior-cat.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 304
  • snowcat-back.jpg
    snowcat-back.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 306
  • snowcat-side.jpg
    snowcat-side.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 299
  • instrument-panel.jpg
    instrument-panel.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 300

topgun53

It is hard to see in these photos, but the serial # is 002. I heard this is a prototype, maybe for the Imp?

Anyone know of a mechanic in western Colorado that could work on it? Logan is a long haul from here.

Attachments

• name-plate.jpg
    name-plate.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 305
  • shift-pattern.jpg
    shift-pattern.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 291
  • snowcat-track.jpg
    snowcat-track.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 289

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Having the clutch worked on should not be a problem anywhere. I believe the innards are all Ford type stuff. Once they look under the 'hood', any mechanic should be able to go from there.

rsqfd

Interesting to note the differences on the Blue rig and the Pink one. Mainly the spec tag/plate has a different layout and the roll-bar design vs the enclosed cab design from serial number 002 to 004, big change in 2 production models. (It is unknown, well someone may know, what the serial number of the LA County fire rig is/was.)

It has been mentioned a couple of times that the 1101 was a prototype. Any clue as to the number made?
Thanks

socal4t12

very nice to see the family (002 and 004) getting back in touch. its amazing to see the difference in vehicles and mileage that separates them. i wonder if they ever worked together, or if they conspired and did away with the ugly sibling (003)? maybe that LA County rig was 003. good luck with the rebuild.

topgun53

Thanks Socal.
Does anyone know if the 1101's were the first snowcats by Thiokol or are there previous models? I wonder if they are a prototype for an upcoming model or just one of their first attempts to "get it right" and get something that functions as planned. Whatever was going on, I'm impressed by the way the little bugger functions. It really does well even in deep loose snow. It's like a little tank. We hauled a lot of material in to our construction site with it when we were building our house during a pretty snowy winter, '96. Snowcats have come a long way since then.

topgun53

First step in the rebuild is paint. It should be the last, but the pink just doesn't seem right. I can't go another year like that.

I went to Safety One's website and under "snowcats sold" they have a photo of the 1201 A. It is pretty similar to the 1101, but upgraded some.

rsqfd

Here is a couple of other photos of the LA County FD rig as it appeared in an episode of Emergency!. The box on the front was an add-on for tools
Tractor18a.jpg

Tractor18.jpg

topgun53

Looks like a good reason to have a roll cage to me! I hope this one got out of that to run another day.

The different window configurations are interesting. Note the funky little corner windows on ours. When they went to the roll cage they had to give those up.

Bobcat, thanks for your comment on the clutch. What about steering clutch adjustment? Would a regular dozer repairman know how to adjust them?

I had no idea these were used on dry land so much. I've never used mine for anything but snow travel.

rsqfd

Please forgive me if this has been discussed at an earlier time and/or in another thread. Since Thiokol sold the snowcat division in 1978 to Delorian have all the original records gone missing due to time? I was wondering if somewhere there is a record of, in this particular case, who originally purchased the 1101's by their serial number? Now I know this would not help in resales but thought it would be interesting to know who first purchased these vehicles.

rsqfd

I contacted them a couple years back giving photos when researching this particular model vehicle. Since I did not own the particular snowcat I did not have a serial number or plate data which Peterson required to research vehicle but even with photos they were unsure but said it was possibly a 1201a (even though the 1201's look different). Art Seely President Safety One Inc even said it was a (retracked) 1201. Other Snowcat people, who also said to contact Peterson, were unsure what it was, possibly a prototype.

Of course now I know better, from this particular thread on this site, that it is an 1101. You all have been MOST helpful and I thank you.
Richard