• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Accessing data from a hard drive

BadAttitude

My last laptop had a problem with the power jack where it was soldered to the motherboard. Plastic part melted and not worth fixing either. Now that I have a new laptop, I would like to access the old hardrive to get a bunch of photos off it. Is there something inexpensive I can buy to do this? If there is, would I be able to use it(harddrive) as a storage device too?

The old unit was a Compaq Presario 1700 and the new is a Dell Inspiron 9300 if it matters.

:tiphat:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I believe they make a docking station (I know they have them for desktops hardrives) for internal hardrives that would hook up to you computer with a USB port. The easiest way would be to try and hook up the old drive to the new machine for retrieval of your data.

I've hooked up old drives to new desktop machines for retrieval and added storage but laptops are new to me. The only thing I've fooled with on my laptops have been memory.

BadAttitude

I didn't find a docking station that would do what I needed for laptops...not yet anyways.
I wonder if something like this would work? It should for data access, but what about using the old drive for storage too?

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Bigdog, they are no different, just smaller. I have replaced several of them, and getting ready to replace another one in my laptop, this will be number 3 in it. going to get new RAM also.

www.drivesolutions.com
they have them for anything

BadAttitude

ddrane2115 said:
Great! Thanks!! I think that is what I need.
Will my old Compaq hard drive require something specific? or will it work in any of those external drives listed?

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yahoo! Learn something everyday..............:D

Thanks Danny

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
CompUSA and similar stores typically sell 2.5 inch external hard drive enclosure's. You can get them in USB2 or Firewire. You would plug your old drive into this and then you would have an external backup solution.

If your new computer supports USB2 then go with that. Don't get something that is only USB 1.0 as it is really slow.

EBay's nice but if you don't want to wait and a CompUSA is near by then this is pretty convenient.

http://www.compusa.com/products/products.asp?N=0&Ntt=enclosure&Ntk=All&Nty=1&D=enclosure&Dx=mode%20matchall