• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Anybody ever wonder about avalanches?

mikemikelle

1994 or 95, when I was in the Everett Mountaineers Basic Climbing Course, we had our weekend field trip up at Artist Point (Baker Ski Area). We had just come down to the parking area Sunday afternoon, and were doing the debrief. All of the sudden an avalanche of serious size came down right next to the area we were in. We were protected by a terrain trap (instead of caught in one) that contained the debris, but completely engulfed in a cloud of spindrift, which lasted what seemed like forever!

Afterwards we could see trees a foot in diameter broken off and laying down. Those are slow growing at 5000+ft, like maybe 100 plus years and very dense!

Needless to say it was a great avy lesson for the group. Nothing like being present for one to get a real feel for the power.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
same happened to me. I was in a car that got covered. darn karman ghia drove out of it after it stopped. twigs all over it.