• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What are you doing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Always got something on the go. The next week will be hectic putting the miles on the truck. We're all headed to camp tomorrow. My wife is spending the week with the kids out there while I come home Sunday to drive the oldest boy to and from work until Tuesday.

While I'm home, I plan on doing some work around the house. I want to finish the rocker panels on the car, cut down, buck up, and split 3 balsam trees I noticed were dead.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Most everyone that posts here is a Work O Haulic.

Don't be silly. I'm retired. I only work about 4 to 6 hours a day, 7 days a week. As my back gets better that may ratchet up as I am so far behind you can call me Joe Biden.

This afternoon was nasty, humid. It was so bad you could almost taste the air that you breathed. I spent part of the afternoon running around killing ant hills. I sprayed 3 weeks ago with stuff that was supposed to control them for 3 months. Don't believe it. With all the rain we've had the little buggers are building skyscrapers in my yard.

The rest of the afternoon I spent down at the barn servicing equipment, cleaning air filters, checking fluids and greasing and oiling everything in sight. My old dad always told me that grease is cheap, don't skimp. I did the mower and big tractor. I still have the little tractor to do but that's for tomorrow.

See m1west, I only put in 5 hours today. We'll do better tomorrow. :smile:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Going to go see the wee ones today.
:smile:
Tomorrow I'm going to Pettisville with a friend to (what else) have dinner!
There is a place called Das Essenhaus that's supposed to be bomb.
Gosh, all these days off are going to be marvelous.
I'll pretend I'm on vacation, or retired.
:yum:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I did another morning of cutting volunteer trees and brush. Just a bit ago I realized I must have tangled with poison ivy..

Just washed my arms with WD 40 and then soap and water fallowed by Ivy Dry and another round of soap and water.. and changed clothes, washed the arms of my office chair as well.

My arms are already feeling much better and looking better as well. I hope this ends it before it starts.

Regards, Kirk

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Poison Ivy,,, bad stuff. Luckily, I seem to be immune.

Unluckily, whenever people, who know me find it, they ask me to cut it out.

The fact is I am only "sorta" immune. So I sometimes get it between my fingers. That WD-40 is a new one on me. I'll have to remember that.

Thanks Kirk.

Last edited:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Poison Ivy,,, bad stuff. Luckily, I seem to be immune.

Unluckily, whenever people, who know me, find it, they ask me to cut it out.

The fact is I am only "sorta" immune. So I sometimes get it between my fingers. That WD-40 is a new one on me. I'll have to remember that.

It was something I discover some years ago. Evidently WD 40 is enough of a solvent it will remove the offending oil based evil in poison ivy. At the time back then it was simply what I had in the shop, and was handy. Seems to work just fine. But I washed it 3 more times just in case...

Regards, Kirk

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Amazing how a 3 and 5 year old can wear you out!
Inside, outside, upstairs, downstairs, to the pond, in the woods.
Gahhh!
Ty says, Mom they're ok ,sit down and relax!
4 hours of that, then back home putting away some shopping, then made myself a pot of chili.
Good day, but I'll be going to bed earlier than normal.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Also, I just bought this adorable dining set for my kitchen nook area, off a gal on Facebook marketplace.
I pick it up tomorrow in Bowling Green.
20200627_142440.jpg

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well the poison Ivy did not all get removed from yesterday. Last night it became obvious that I missed a spot getting the oil off.. :hammer:

My left eye lid of all places. Not some thing you ever want to have happen. Swollen nearly shut today. Hope it gets better soon.
Reluctant to use any of the over the counter meds I have as it is my eye lid.

Regards, Kirk

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Well the poison Ivy did not all get removed from yesterday. Last night it became obvious that I missed a spot getting the oil off.. :hammer:

My left eye lid of all places. Not some thing you ever want to have happen. Swollen nearly shut today. Hope it gets better soon.
Reluctant to use any of the over the counter meds I have as it is my eye lid.

Regards, Kirk

I think it will, but don't ever do that again.
:bolt:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
This restaurant is out in the middle of farm country in Fulton county.
I got the homemade chicken salad on their homemade bread.
I wanted the cast iron skillet fried chicken, but that was going to be a 45 minute wait.

After that we went to Homestead Ice Cream, which sits on the property of the old Nafzinger Centennial farm.
I got a turtle sundae.
That was supposed to be small!
Lol

It was nice going up that way again.
I used to take our dachshunds to an Amish vet there, many many moons ago.

20200627_165013.jpg

20200627_165828.jpg

20200627_171322.jpg

20200627_174758.jpg

20200627_175137.jpg

20200627_175141.jpg

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
It was something I discover some years ago. Evidently WD 40 is enough of a solvent it will remove the offending oil based evil in poison ivy. At the time back then it was simply what I had in the shop, and was handy. Seems to work just fine. But I washed it 3 more times just in case...

Regards, Kirk

Since poison ivy is oil based, do you think alcohol would get rid of it?

Here's what the internet says:
Apply an over-the-counter corticosteroid cream for the first few days. Apply calamine lotion. Take oral antihistamines, such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl, others), which may also help you sleep better. Soak in a cool-water bath containing an oatmeal-based bath product (Aveeno).

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Since poison ivy is oil based, do you think alcohol would get rid of it?

Here's what the internet says:
Apply an over-the-counter corticosteroid cream for the first few days. Apply calamine lotion. Take oral antihistamines, such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl, others), which may also help you sleep better. Soak in a cool-water bath containing an oatmeal-based bath product (Aveeno).

Lenny, when us kids used to get poison ivy (not that I ever did, but my brother and sisters did) the public swimming pool was the cure.
Swimming in chlorine.
I'd advise Kirk to do as you said above.
It's not a big deal unless you get it in your eyes, as my son Jeff did once burning brush on the river.
He looked like he had conjunctivitis for about a week.
OTC and his Mama being a nurse took care of that.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
The wife and I put up the last five 8' panels of the cedar fence today. All I have left is one gate.

Unfortunately the 8' panels did not come out even on the old frames. I thought I had the posts on 96" spacing but some were on 100" spacing meaning I was too lazy to cut the 2X4's to 92" when I built the original board on board fence. So now I have a 12" shortfall at the front gate.

My plan is to create an archway out of cedar boards I have left over from the bedroom remodel. The house is done is cedar with all the corners wrapped with 2' rough sawn boards. It should work out ok. But with a lot of meticulous fitting.

Then on to the next project which should be the back wall of the two car garage. I have a glass panel door with screened side vents and internal blinds. Cathy is talking about a hot tub in the back patio. Major undertaking.

I have planned to do the garage remodel for 10 years. The door unit has been leaning against the wall that long. My mind is set on it. However, being stubborn could cost me dearly.:shitHitFan:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I came home from camp with the 2 oldest boys as one has to work and the guy is coming in the morning to refinish the hardwood floors. Someone had to be here for that. She is staying at camp all week with the 4 youngest kids and the 3 dogs. Once the floor guy gets started in the morning, I plan on heading to the back of the property to drop 3 dead balsam trees I spotted last week.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Went to Bowling Green today to pick up the kitchen set.
No way I'd have fit that in the trunk of my Malibu.
We had a bit of a struggle getting it in Julie's Jeep Patriot.
Turns out it was a young girl and her two roommates selling it.
They go to BGSU and are looking forward to getting back to school.
I had a nice chat with them all.
The guy brought it out to the Jeep for us, I paid the girl and got a big hug.

Then I treated Julie to dinner at Bob Evans.
I got the turkey dinner.
Jeff was disappointed as he was texting me the entire time we were there.
He said Mom! You're going to be in BG and NOT eat at the kabob place?
I took random pictures of the area, the food and my lovely new- to- me kitchen set.

20200628_163644.jpg

20200628_163743.jpg

20200628_160249.jpg

20200628_181748.jpg

20200628_182743.jpg

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Went to Bowling Green today to pick up the kitchen set.
No way I'd have fit that in the trunk of my Malibu.
We had a bit of a struggle getting it in Julie's Jeep Patriot.
Turns out it was a young girl and her two roommates selling it.
They go to BGSU and are looking forward to getting back to school.
I had a nice chat with them all.
The guy brought it out to the Jeep for us, I paid the girl and got a big hug.

Then I treated Julie to dinner at Bob Evans.
I got the turkey dinner.
Jeff was disappointed as he was texting me the entire time we were there.
He said Mom! You're going to be in BG and NOT eat at the kabob place?
I took random pictures of the area, the food and my lovely new- to- me kitchen set.

]

I'm surprised you got it in the Jeep Patriot. Those things do not carry much freight.

I have a Grand Cherokee and it has room for nothing big.

Bob Evans Turkey dinner is what I usually order when we go there. But the ones in our county went under. Kinda miss them. The I-Hop is awful.
We don't go there.:unsure:

I like the dinning set.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks, Francis.:smile:

Had to put the middle seats down, then lay the bench seats in there.
The table went in the back, but didn't clear the door, so we strapped it down and it didn't move at all.
Getting that table through my front door took some time.
She was standing behind me saying omg! it better clear the GD door!
I turned around and looked at her and said, here we go.
Angled it in, then a slight tilt.
I heard a loud sigh of relief.
No one ever trusts my methods until they see it happen before their eyes.
:yum:

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Hi all, I returned from the work cabin yesterday afternoon, This trip the little boy and me installed 2 of the 4 poles needed for the container to sit on. The first hole on Friday morning was not bad except at the bottom I encountered a large rock that left me 6" short of 36" so I made the hole a little bigger in diameter to compensate. Next hole on Saturday morning was a real bugger to dig, about a foot down I hit hard pan and had to pick and shovel all the way down but was able to get the 36". There is 800# of cement in those 2 holes. they are also filled with concrete. After the poles each morning I took a shower around 10am and made my trips to town. After lunch each day I worked on electrical termination. I got the panel done and about 60% of the plugs and switches until I ran out of plugs and switches. Its nice plugging into an outlet instead of tangled cords everywhere. Sunday before I left was the first time I made coffee in the morning plugged into an outlet.:clap: Next trip I will dig the other 2 holes for the poles and finish the electrical. Also I would like to get the cable buried between the cabin and where the container will sit, so when the container is modified and installed I am ready to connect the power. Right now I have built a 7KW lithium battery pack. When done I will have 21KW battery capacity with 2400 watt of solar panels and generator back up. Now that the back yard is done enough at home. today I will start working on the container.

Attachments

• IMG_0936.jpg
    IMG_0936.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0937.jpg
    IMG_0937.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0941.jpg
    IMG_0941.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0943.jpg
    IMG_0943.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0938.jpg
    IMG_0938.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 83

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like we're all busy. We have a guy here sanding and refinishing the hardwood floors.

I got out of his way and headed to the back of the property to drop 3 dead balsam. It's now split and ready to go to camp.
ddd9030b2d0caba7a0dc4b341ed967ec.jpg
5ffdc88b9109f84bdbf7263eb0d9857e.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Physio and a bunch of stops in the city this morning. Dump run this afternoon then loaded a bunch of firewood to bring to camp this evening. I'm heading back out for 2 nights. My wife and 4 youngest are there all week while I'm home to drive the oldest boy to and from work. It'll be nice when he can drive on his own (which will be November hopefully)

The floor guy was here most of the day finishing up the sanding. He's coming back Thursday to start with the varnishing.
f9c9e98ef88884cd131843719b1a55aa.jpg
7bdc6199f7d9b6a0c499d632fcd3deda.jpg
a00593fe69fe3e804f83401354700cea.jpg

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
That's going to be beautiful when they're finished Brian.

Nothing much today at all.
I've been so busy doing stuff this past week, it was time to just stay home.
Made a burger for dinner, then talked to a friend from work who said the National Guard? are coming to our facility to do covid testing.
I asked her to take a photo of the notice posted on the board.

If not, I'll see it tomorrow.
I'm back to work, kinda missed it too.

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
Went to the gym for 40 minutes and then my neighbor was getting rid of her dining room table so I took it. Mine is good but this one is classier....probably built in the 1960s. She, her daughter-in-law, grand kids and another neighbor lady got involved in moving the table and chairs. Then we put mine in another neighbor's garage. Needless to say, I have AWESOME neighbors!

Then to a wedding reception in Council Bluffs at a bar. She was dressed in a nice, informal white wedding dress. He was wearing shorts, a shirt with the first 3 or 4 top buttons unbuttoned and a tie loosely hanging around his neck. I wish I had taken pictures. LOL

And now back home.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Hi all, now that the yard is done enough for now I have turned my attention to the container project. I came up with a design for solar panel frames that will let me adjust the angle from summer 22 degrees for my area and 40 degrees in the winter to achieve the best performance of the panels. Also I think I will add a 5200 watt wind turbine. When not sunny the wind will be blowing. Im trying to never have to run the generator. The plan is to fabricate the frames and mount to the container, fold them down flat then put the panels on at the mountain along with the wind turbine. I cut parts to make 2 out of six and had to order more materials, the frames will be made from 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 x 1/8 square tube, each frame uses up almost 20' of tube. Its overkill but there are extremely high winds up there at times and don't want them blown off. Also I cut the other 2 poles to support the container. Tomorrow I am headed there for the 4th holiday and plan to dig the other 2- holes, finish the wall plugs, switches and bury the conduit and main supply wire from the container to the cabin brake panel.

Attachments

• IMG_0948.jpg
    IMG_0948.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0949.jpg
    IMG_0949.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0951.jpg
    IMG_0951.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 70

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Sweating my a$$ off at camp. The ac keeps kicking out. Everyone keeps heading down to the boat launch to cool off in the lake.

Happy Canada day to all my fellow Canucks. Nothing exciting planned as pretty much everything entertainment related has been canceled this summer because of covid. Oh well. I'd rather sacrifice entertainment for health than be at risk everywhere i go like our neighbors to the south. Seriously though. An area covering over 1500 square kms with an approximate population of 200000 spread over the area and only a handful of covid cases with one death. And our numbers overall in Canada are way lower than the states. Rather glad we are keeping our borders closed for another month.

Which brings me to another question. Our borders are closed. So why am I seeing rvs with Washington plates all the way in Ontario? Guess them 'mericans heading to Alaska through British Columbia got lost and took a wrong turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.