• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Coffee Needs a cancer warning

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
Guess which state says that?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/c...-rules/ar-AAvgtPi?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=mailsignout

A Los Angeles judge has ruled that coffee companies need to carry a cancer warning label in California.

Superior Court Judge Elihu Berle said in a proposed decision Wednesday that Starbucks and other coffee companies failed to prove the threat from a chemical compound produced during coffee roasting was insignificant.

The chemical, acrylamide, is a carcinogen created when coffee beans are roasted. The carcinogen is one in a list of chemicals the state of California considers possible causes of cancer. Alcoholic beverages are also on the list.

The lawsuit was first filed in 2010 by a nonprofit group who targeted coffee roasters, distributors and retailers that make or sell coffee for failing “to provide clear and reasonable warning” that drinking coffee could expose people to acrylamide.

Under the California Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986, businesses must inform customers about the presence of substances that may affect their health. The act, also known as Prop 65, applies to all “retail, mail order, and Internet sales of products, even if sold out of the state,” according to the state website.

The coffee industry had claimed the chemical was present at harmless levels and should be exempt from the law because it results naturally from the cooking process to make the beans flavorful.

Proposed California judicial decisions can still be reversed, but rarely are.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
The Mormons are right.
Anyway I gave up coffee. Only drank it for a few months of the year. Hey nothing says refreshment than a big cup of HOT Coffee when it's 100 Degrees in Phoenix! NOT.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I thought a few months ago they were saying 2-3 cups of coffee a day was good for you. I can't keep up with these people.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
Chocolate gives me that youthful complexion!
I'm past 50 and still breaking out so guess I will keep eating it.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes that was in both Prevention and Woman's World magazine.
I've no intention of giving up my daily zing!

I am with you PG.

Besides we are all going to die in the end anyway. Cancer is only one of a thousand ways. So I will enjoy my coffee and consider the good out weighs the bad.

We should sit and enjoy a cup some day. :wink:

Regards, Kirk

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
why not try the unroasted beans?

That would be akin to drinking un-distilled wiskey sourmash.
I'll pass.

The benefits of coffee include vassal dilation and mental acuity. I drink two "Pots" a day. I presume that is also good for the kidneys.

Cancers are generally cause by persistent irritation. Most likely any cancers I get will be caused by persistent liberalism.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm having my coffee this morning spiked with a little moonshine I picked up while in TN. Mmmmm good. (okay, I"ll admit .. spiked with a lot of moonshine)

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Grocery shopping today for Easter. I noticed Death Wish Coffee. Comes in a black bag with a white skull and crossbones. 5X caffeine I think. $20 / Lb. I immediately thought of Franc drinking two pots of this stuff. :th_lmao:

I passed. :yum::yum:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I had 2 cups this morn and am working on another I picked up from Timmy Ho.
Had a large iced coffee before church too.

:w00t2: <-- I feel like that. Lol