• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I want to learn to play the Ukulele

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am not musically inclined.

I have a very difficult time clapping to music.

In grade school I played the trombone. Not very well. But I played.

For years I have longed to play an instrument.

I've been searching around and it seems that a Ukulele is reasonably easy to learn. Clearly advanced playing of any instrument requires massive practice, time and dedication. But I've been watching YouTube instructional videos on basic chords and I think I might actually be able to learn simple songs ... and I'd probably be happy with that.

Old dog = new tricks?

Anyone ever tried to learn a musical instrument later in life?

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Anyone ever tried to learn a musical instrument later in life?

No!!! I learned my musical limitations early in life.

I am totally unmusical which is a pity because I love music. Even in school I couldn't learn the basics of playing a recorder. I'm afraid that there is no hope for me.

Best of luck with your endeavor though. Keep us informed. A written report will do. No need to record something and post it on here. :)

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I've never played a ukulele. So no clue on how easy or difficult they are. However. They are a stringed instrument. To get you started on learning to move your way around the fretboard and different chord combinations etc I recommend a seagull merlin. Impossible to hit a bad note. Download a guitar tuner on your phone. Standard tuning for the merlin is D A D. it's four strings but the bottom two are tuned the same. Has a ukulele meets banjo sound. They aren't expensive either. They even come with all of the notes marked on the fretboard.

seagull-standup-dulcimer-full-front-1.jpg

http://acousticguitar.com/seagull-merlin/

Sent from my SM-N915W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good luck Bob.

At this stage in our lives, I thought the only thing musical we should play is the stereo.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I actually thought about a dulcimer but there are just so many resources for the ukulele that it seems logical to give it a try. We even have a small music shop on the edge of town that gives lessons should all the internet sources (YouTube) and other options (DVDs) fail me.

What I play best is a radio.

I'd like to change that.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I bought a neat older thing at an antique store. it is like a mini banjo . it rests in the back room. I gave up on it. it must be from the 40's.
have fun and you'll do ok.
didn't tiny tim or someone like that play one?
jim

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I always wanted to try my hand at the banjo, but like others I'm not musically inclined. For whatever reason my fingers and brain are not tuned. I can sing though, and was in the school choir. I kinda wish I would have continued with that in my youth.

Here is something I have been toying with doing, it looks easy enough to do.

http://cigarboxguitars.com/resources/how-to-build-a-cigar-box-guitar

I probably never will build it, but it does look like fun.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
The dulcimer is a neat little instrument. Considering I've played since I was 14 it's helping me with my inbividual note picking up and down the fretboard of my guitar.

Now you've got me curious. I'm going to have to go check out ukeleles at the music store. My wife got me a gift certificate there so I may end up walking out with one.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I bought a neat older thing at an antique store. it is like a mini banjo . it rests in the back room. I gave up on it. it must be from the 40's.
have fun and you'll do ok.
didn't tiny tim or someone like that play one?
jim

I think Tiny Tim played one.

So did Arthur Godfrey.

Now you've got me curious. I'm going to have to go check out ukeleles at the music store. My wife got me a gift certificate there so I may end up walking out with one.
Nice thing that I've found out about a Uke is that you can play a lot of popular songs. There are websites dedicated to the Uke that show chords.

I've not bought one yet.

But it looks like the "solid" construction Ukes are the best. Cheap Ukes are $39. A nicely made one is about $200. Really good ones start at $400 and go up into the thousands.

I'd be looking for a modest, but well made one. Probably in the $150 to $300 range. If I get one I want one that is actually a real instrument, not a toy.

Also looking at the "concert" size. Soprano size is the small one that are common. Concert size is one size up. From what i can tell you get almost the same sound out of a concert size but you have more room on the fret board for those of us with awkward hands.

Cordoba 15 and 20 series seem like nice Ukes. Lanikai too. There are much better brands. But those seem to have good reputations as being reasonable instruments.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just got confirmation that the buyers of a medical building I own are going to accept my counter offer ... AND I got a 20% discount on a http://koaloha.com ukulele ... their Hawaiian made Ukes are expensive but considered among the best ... they have a lower priced imported model called an OPIO that they consider to be a their beginner Uke. I believe I will celebrate the sale of my building, and the good fortune of getting a discount coupon by buying one of their OPiO Ukes after the paperwork is signed. Its still above my target price range but I also know that if I fail my daughter, who is actually musically inclined, can have it.

These use solid wood, not plywood, which everyone tells me is the way to go.

Of course I will still burn the receipt so there is no evidence for my wife to find.

Attachments

• KCO-10_01.jpg
    KCO-10_01.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 221

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I think Tiny Tim played one.

Oh myyyyyyy Tiny Tim. lol
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMbQsKJ64S0"]Tiny Tim - Tip Toe Through The Tulips (Live).mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

and a tutorial to TTTTT :biggrin:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voHkShZDfi4"]tiny tim's tiptoe tutorial // ukulele - YouTube[/ame]

zekeusa

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
If Tiny Tim can play it, You can too! I bought a Trombone. I don't know how to play it but there is a book and CD that helps you along!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I did it.

Ordered a ukulele. The journey begins soon. My high school team's fencing season ends in middle February so I'll need something new to do.

I didn't buy the OPiO, for the same price I got a different brand but its still a 'real' instrument and not a 'toy' ukulele. Near as I can tell the prices on these things can be divided into a few groups.

The $35 to $125 Ukes are pretty much toys. Low grade parts, low grade gearing, all plywood/laminate construction, often plastic body parts, etc.

At somewhere near $125 you can start to find Ukes that have a solid wood top, but they still use all laminate/plywoods for the sides and bodies. The tuning pegs/gears are typically still lower grade.

The 'real' instruments generally start in the $250+ range with all solid wood used for the tops, sides, backs. The tuning gears/pegs are upgraded, etc. Various woods are used. Hawaiian Koa is the top choice, and typically most expensive, prices for real solid Koa Ukes probably start closer to $500. Lower priced solid wood (not plywood) typically will be Spruce, or a mixture of Spruce top, and other woods for the side/back. Monkeypod, Mango, Mahogany are used also.

I found a Mango Lanikai on sale at $100 below its normal price on-line, same price as the prior OPiO I posted, but this Uke is better looking so I should look better when I'm playing badly ... maybe it will act as a much needed distraction :yum:

Should have it later this week. Hope it looks 1/2 as good as the one in the 'stock' photo.

Attachments

• SMTU-C-306x705.jpg
    SMTU-C-306x705.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 193

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
The same goes for guitars. Sure you can pick up a cheap $100 job at walmart but you get what you pay for. The sound and quality isn't there. Most of my stuff is in the 5-800 range. My next one will be around the $1500 mark.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The same goes for guitars. Sure you can pick up a cheap $100 job at walmart but you get what you pay for. The sound and quality isn't there. Most of my stuff is in the 5-800 range. My next one will be around the $1500 mark.

Seems like the $250 mark is the very bottom for the all solid Ukes. $350 to $500 will get you some pretty nice options. Then the price seems go straight up to $1000 and above. Very little in the $500-$1000 range. Mine should be about $469 ... found 1 in stock at only 1 seller for $369. They are tossing in a basic soft case + a tuner too. Nobody else is offering that same model for under $469 so I think I'm getting a great deal. Dealer says it is "brand new" but I suspect that means it is an 'open box' and was displayed & demo'ed at the store? I'm fine with that. I bought my daughter a nice(-ish) Spanish guitar that was an open box unit and its perfect all the way around and it was a good value.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
For a tuner you can download any tuner app available for free and they'll work for you. Once you learn chords on the uke i imagine just as with the guitar there should be apps available that'll display the notes and chords above the words and will scroll along as you're playing.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
For a tuner you can download any tuner app available for free and they'll work for you. Once you learn chords on the uke i imagine just as with the guitar there should be apps available that'll display the notes and chords above the words and will scroll along as you're playing.

Got a little tuner tossed in as a freebie :biggrin:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Just checked out of curiosity. There are specific tuners available in the apstore for ukes. As well as apps for learning the chords.

I use very similar apps etc when I'm teaching guitar. It helps make sense of the notes. Taking regular lessons such as I did way back in the day it took me nearly 2 years to learn basic notes and chords. Now I take in someone who's never picked up a guitar and using apps like I mentioned I have them playing enough to put a basic song together after about 4-5 lessons.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So it arrived. Now the work begins.

I knew I was getting a good deal, didn't realize how good of a deal until it arrived and I unpacked it. The standard model costs $100 more than I paid for this one. This is the upgraded version with a Fishman electronic pickup, integrated pre-amp/equalizer and output. Its also been discontinued for 6+ months so its left over inventory. I'm a happy camper. Paid $369 for something that retailed for almost $500. Got a soft case and a tuner tossed in for free, both of which (combined) add about $50 to the normal price.

Odd lighting in my living room, but the wood is all the same color tone even if some of the pictures look too grey and others look too golden.

Attachments

• IMG_9764.jpg
    IMG_9764.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_9765.jpg
    IMG_9765.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_9775.jpg
    IMG_9775.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_9768.jpg
    IMG_9768.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_9770.jpg
    IMG_9770.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_9767.jpg
    IMG_9767.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_9771.jpg
    IMG_9771.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_9769.jpg
    IMG_9769.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 163

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not sure about recording anything but I already started my DVD lessons!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Once you learn the basic chords venture over to youtube. Type in the name of your favorite song along with"ukulele". There will be most likely several different variations to watch and learn from. I do this with guitar all the time. I'll hear a song I like. Come home. Search it on youtube and since i play the acoustic guitar I'll type in acoustic instructional then watch. It'll walk me throu step by step which chords to use, strumming pattern, etc. It's the quickest and easiest way I've seen for learning songs. I can't read music for the life of me. I see a sheet of music on a page and to me it's just jibberish. Confusing. But...once you learn the basic chords search up a song, any song, with the word chords and see what comes up. It'll be just the lyrics along with each chord written over the words. Use that along with youtube and its a lot quicker way to learn.

Here's an example

https://youtu.be/aZESOiQYq-c

And the chords.

http://www.ukulele-tabs.com/uke-songs/folk-songs/you-are-my-sunshine-uke-tab-15237.html

I've never so much as picked up a ukulele but using this method and applying it to my background in guitar I know i could be playing it in a matter of minutes.