• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

International TD340 Dozer

davbell22602

I have a td 340 dozer with a winch. The winch has a pto and it works when engine is running but the engine doesnt run right now. Somebody tied off the winch around a tree and rotting the tree and there's no slack to unhook it. I found a site that can get me the service manual set for 200 bucks but it doesnt cover the winch. Does anybody have a copy of the service manual set in a pdf file and willing to share it with me? Who made the winch for international if they didnt make it? Is there a release lever by chance to bypass the pto in case something like this happens to manually pull the cable out by hand?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
There should be a free spool release lever on the side of the winch. Try posting on Heavy equipment forums or Red Power. they both have a lot of knowledge. I have run more Cat than IH in dozers. Could be it is a Hyster forestry winch but I have not sat on an IH dozer in over 30 years.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry for the image problem Dav. I tried to upload the image and / or attach url and got a message saying that image type was not supported. It's a .jpg for goodness sake. It is indeed supported but, I obviously have a problem.
I hope to have it fixed soon.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
As Muleman said there should be a lever to release the "Free wheel" to pull out the cable . It may be in the operator's seat area as some one would have had to be able to operate the winch while running the dozer . Have you looked under the seat ? Its got to be there ,somewhere .

Trakternut

Barring a release lever, do you have access to something heavy enough that would drag the crawler backwards enough to give you the slack you need?

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Barring a release lever, do you have access to something heavy enough that would drag the crawler backwards enough to give you the slack you need?

The picture makes it look like he is sucked down to the belly pan . If that is the case ,it will take a lot of power to pop it loose . I did that on a JD dozer and ended up getting a big Semi Wreaker tow truck to pop me loose .

davbell22602

need a bucket truck to cut it down in pieces. too close to other vehicles as well as the dozer, trailer,old buick,and dump truck.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Images should work better now. I was able to upload your image after doing some tweaks to VB.

Attachments

• td340dieseldozer2.jpg
    td340dieseldozer2.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 2,916

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
What does the lever sticking out on the right side work? It looks like somebody added an aux. hydraulic of some sort on that dozer. Have you tried putting the pto in neutral and pulling sideways on the cable? that machine is not buried, it looks like some loose dirt got shoved up to it. Do you know anybody with a good size tractor or backhoe that could pull it back?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
That looks like an AG crawler that had the winch and blade added using the pto to run the pump and raise the blade. most likely the winch has a hydraulic motor powering it. Should still have a mechanical release for pulling out the cable. Might have to take the homemade covers off it to find it. Most of the pure dozers were in a single number series like td6,td8.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Images should work better now. I was able to upload your image after doing some tweaks to VB.
Prior to the tweaks, when I had the issue of not being able to upload a jpg all I did was do a minimal resize/save and it would work.

Trakternut

The picture makes it look like he is sucked down to the belly pan . .

that machine is not buried, it looks like some loose dirt got shoved up to it.

I agree with Mulie. If you have a full sized 4X4, you might try hooking a chain in a link on one of the tracks on the top run and pull it by rolling just the track. It'll climb itself onto the material around it. You don't have to move it more than a couple of feet to get the slack you need. You'll have to manually raise the dozer blade to do this. A good healthy come-along should do that job.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I did a little snooping and that was originally a dozer with an optional winch. Early 60's by the pics. there are a few of them around including one for sale in Pa.

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter
Two come-a-longs, one on each track, winching them to roll the track backwards. Probably move the machine a foot and you are far enough to unhook the hook on the cable...

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
most of those older winches are shaft driven and aslong as the bearings arn't rusted up you should be able to put the pto in nutural and spin the shaft backwards with a small pipe wrench to loosen up the cable if it has tension on it the free spool wont release anyways

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I have a td 340 dozer with a winch. The winch has a pto and it works when engine is running but the engine doesnt run right now. Somebody tied off the winch around a tree and rotting the tree and there's no slack to unhook it. I found a site that can get me the service manual set for 200 bucks but it doesnt cover the winch. Does anybody have a copy of the service manual set in a pdf file and willing to share it with me? Who made the winch for international if they didnt make it? Is there a release lever by chance to bypass the pto in case something like this happens to manually pull the cable out by hand?

If there is a release lever I dont think it will work if the cable is under tension. You will need to release the tension first.