• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Any plans to celebrate FATHERS DAY?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Anyone have special plans for the upcoming (at least in the USA) Father's Day weekend?

We are heading up to Chinatown in Chicago for a Dim Sum feast. Father's Day is Sunday but Melen is scheduled to work that day so we will probably go up on Monday for our meal.

For those who don't know, "Dim + Sum" translates to Point + Heart. The meal is a tradition in the Chinese community and involves about 100 different options, all served by waitresses who walk around the restaurant with carts full of food. You pick your choices off the carts and they roll past by pointing to the food. You eat with family or friends and fill your heart with joy.

So that will be our celebration.

Oh, and its very inexpensive too. A typical selection costs only about $3. Some a bit more. Some a bit less. Each selection is typically 2 to 4 pieces of whatever is served so a family of 4 could choose 8 different selections, share the food, and spend about $30 with tip assuming you drink the complimentary hot tea.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Going to be quiet here. I will get my wife to make her Scallop casserole with Lobster and I will gorge myself. Maybe wash it all down with a few brews, fall asleep on the sofa and then watch a movie. :yum:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I plan to boat with the family as long as weather is nice.

Both TR and Bob's plans sound good. We have plenty of Chinese restaurants around here but I've never heard of the Dim Sum feast. Will have to keep an eye out for that. But having it in Chinatown in Chicago sounds awesome. Would love to experience that someday.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I plan to boat with the family as long as weather is nice.

Both TR and Bob's plans sound good. We have plenty of Chinese restaurants around here but I've never heard of the Dim Sum feast. Will have to keep an eye out for that. But having it in Chinatown in Chicago sounds awesome. Would love to experience that someday.

FWIW I have never heard of it offered at a typical Chinese restaurant, only in the big cities that have Chinatowns. I'm sure it exists outside of the various Chinatowns but as it is mostly a meal for Chinese it seems to exist in areas where there is a large Chinese population.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
FWIW I have never heard of it offered at a typical Chinese restaurant, only in the big cities that have Chinatowns. I'm sure it exists outside of the various Chinatowns but as it is mostly a meal for Chinese it seems to exist in areas where there is a large Chinese population.

Oddly enough, even though I am a meat and potatoes guy, I enjoy Chinese food. Up here north of the woodchucks the closest Chinatown is Boston or NYC. I would try that Dim Sum feast in a heartbeat.

On the other hand, last Friday night I attended a retirement party for a friend at a local Thai Restaurant. I ordered something I do not recall what it was supposed to be other then there was pineapple in it. Couldn't pronounce the name either. I was wishing for a nice big juicy burger or a steak with onion rings, I can tell you that. It was the first time I have ever gone to a Thai restaurant and I won't say it will be the last, but it will be a while. :biggrin:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Oddly enough, even though I am a meat and potatoes guy, I enjoy Chinese food. Up here north of the woodchucks the closest Chinatown is Boston or NYC. I would try that Dim Sum feast in a heartbeat.

If you enjoy trying different things then Dim Sum meals are a great way to try bits of everything. The serving sizes are roughly 'appetizer' size. So what we do is we will order approximately 8 to 12 different items (depending on how hungry we are) and then we just share everything. And yes, we take home leftovers.

While we often go with just our family its a lot of fun to go with a group of rouhgly 8 people because you can typically seat 8 people around a large circular table at most of the restaurants we visit in Chicago's Chinatown. It is especially fun if 1 or 2 people are picky eaters and 1 or 2 are adventurous eaters. One time we went with our parish Priest ... my wife picked all the food, and included Chicken Feet in the assortment :whistling:

What is also good is that you can keep food coming so if you pick a few things and really like 1 of them all you have to do is wait for the food cart with that stuff on it to come around again ... and again ... and again and just keep taking the food you like off the cart.

Ironman

I don't care for jap food, so my kids will probably take me to a small town parade/fair where they have kick ass deep fried cheese curds like last year. Or we'll get a deep dish pizza and some summer shandy beers. :smile: I know we all love pizza so why chance it.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah, I'll probably go to Dad's grave and sit a shot of scotch and a pack of Marlboro reds on the stone, then sit and talk to him like always.
7-3-1934/7-8-1996

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Father's Day plans? I'm sure I'll be told when they feel I need to know. Until then I'll continue to do as I'm told so it doesn't interfere with anyone else's plans. I wanted to go to Grayling Michigan to fish for trout by myself, smoke cigars, drink whiskey and sleep in my tent, but apparently that would be self centered. :hammer::yum: