• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

A tough decision !

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
We have a good middle aged nieghbor couple here in our little town . They don't have much and she will be the first to step up and volunteer in our area to help folks .

The bad news is her husband is dying of cancer .
Just after Christmas the had a house fire that did quite a bit of damage . Since then she has been dealing with Insurance adjusters and trying to find someone to help rebuild .
The other day she stopped by and asked me if I could look over the fire bid that the Insurance agent adjuster prepared for them .

This type of work was a large part of my business many years ago . I was very surprized what a great job the adjuster had done in figuring in everything that needed to be done . This guy was very fair in my book .

She talked with our 1 local contractor and he is completely booked out in work for the whole year already . She had some guy , she does not know , call her and tell her that he would be there to start in the morning !
I told her to tell the guy to pack it . Any contractor doing the work would be a out of towner coming over 75 miles to get here .

Anyway she asked if there was anyway I would consider putting my tool belt back on, comming out of retirement again and doing the job . It is about 3 months of work .

They have always hoped to make some changes in the house for him to get around a little easier .
After setting down and talking about changes and upgrades they could make and keep the cost under the insurance repair amount I saw him start to smile a little . Its been a long time since i seen that .

He seemed to have a spark in is eyes when I told them to give me a Christmas wish list of everything they wanted in the house to make it work for them .
They asked if the window in the bedroom could be made bigger ? If I could fix the front door from binding ?Was I really going to have all their belonging cleaned and stored and she did not have to do it ? How could I give them Tile counter tops in the kitchen when it had only been Formica . Could she really have a new kitchen sink ? Could they really have a handicap tiolet ? Could they really have a color paint on the wall other than white ? Was I really going to upgrade the electrical to a new system with circuit breakers instead of screw in fuses ?? Was I really sure I could do this on the funds the insurance company had approved ? Could she really have a spice rack like I made in my kitchen at home . Could I really put in a wheel chair ramp so he could still be mobile as the diease takes its toll ?

And the last request .... which had me choked up . Was it even possible to have a little "Fire pit" on the old deck where they could sit in the evening ??

Man , I gotta tell you .... You sometimes don't realize how lucky you are until you see what these folks go through every day .

I told them to keep doing there Christmas list homework and I would call them on Monday to see how they were doing .

I have not seen him get up and walk in a few months , but last night as I was leaving he came to the door and told me

" Al, you do know you have the job , if you want it " .

I just smiled and told him not to worry about it anymore . You could see the relief in her eyes when she said thank you . Toughest lady I ever met !

As I drove home it was hard not to cry . That doing something so simple as making home repairs could put a smile on a dying man face .
This morning it is still affecting me as I write this . I just wanted to share this and show the strength that some folks still have in this world . I am damn humbled to even be allowed to help.

I can damn well bet you that this home repair will be more than they could ever imagine , That Christmas wish list is going to become a reality come hell or high water .

And yes ... they will get that little fire pit on their little deck .

You know folks..... It does not matter what this day has in store for me .
For the first time in quite a while , I have a grin on my face knowing what I am about to do .

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a one-man handyman business that I have run since losing my corporate job back in 2001. My greatest satisfaction is when I can do things for my customers, particularly the elderly who are genuinely on a fixed income, and tell them there is no charge. When they insist on paying, I tell them of someone else in the church who are having difficult times, and ask if they can take a meal to them or bake them a cake. It's a win-win where they can "pay it forward" at a small price, and feel good about not "taking charity." I know exactly what you are feeling. No amount of money can give that feeling. I might be an ass hole here at times, but I do have a human side.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I think you might find more reward in this endeavor than running a radio station. Good luck with the project.

Git her dunn!

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Al, I think this will be the most self satisfying job you've ever done. After reading your opening thread you probably aren't expecting much if any money in your pocket. Being a small town you probably won't have much trouble finding volunteers when you need a li' help.
My hat's off to ya Big Man!!,
Mike

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
you are too nice i may have to re tinnk them krusty jokes you just don't have time to drive them,trying to bee so hepfull

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good for you Al. The world needs lots more just like you. May this kind deed help you forget about your ailing back. Best wishes for getting er done without any major surprises.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
help you forget about your ailing back..

Everyone,, please don't think i posted this to stand on my soap box and say "Look at Me" . I just thought this was something to share . I know you FF bad boys pretty well by now. Your pretty tough , but I also know each and everyone of you has a soft side too .

Sometimes you know in life what your gonna do before you even do it . These folks have had more than their fair share of problems and grief than anyone should have to go through .

And Doc you are 100% right. My bad back does not seem to be much of a big deal after going over to their place last night .

I plan to take that $45 per hour for carpenters wages that the Insurance company is giving them and turn it right back into repairs and that Christmas list .

Besides it would probably throw me in a higher income tax bracket and some no good "Anti gun" welfare Democrate would end up eating pretty well at my expense :unsure:.LOL

And Jev , Yes ,you can be a asshole at times BUT< You can't hold a candle to the prick i can be . Just ask my kids !!!LOL !!God Bless ya Man !!

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Al, since we live sorta close to each other maybe I'll get a chance to get a meetup w/ ya and I can give an unbiased opinion on just how big a prick you are,LOL!!
Mike

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
al, not much else to say except that that is so kind of u & is so generous to set ur own pain aside to be there fer someone else that'll likely thank u in 1 way or another (& often), well after the work is complete. ur a great guy.

AndyM

Charter Member
It's probably not my place to say this, but if you're looking to stay busy is retirement, this is a whole lot more worthwhile than the apartment building project...

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Everyone,, please don't think i posted this to stand on my soap box and say "Look at Me" . I just thought this was something to share . I know you FF bad boys pretty well by now. Your pretty tough , but I also know each and everyone of you has a soft side too .

Sometimes you know in life what your gonna do before you even do it . These folks have had more than their fair share of problems and grief than anyone should have to go through .

And Doc you are 100% right. My bad back does not seem to be much of a big deal after going over to their place last night .

I plan to take that $45 per hour for carpenters wages that the Insurance company is giving them and turn it right back into repairs and that Christmas list .

Besides it would probably throw me in a higher income tax bracket and some no good "Anti gun" welfare Democrate would end up eating pretty well at my expense :unsure:.LOL

And Jev , Yes ,you can be a asshole at times BUT< You can't hold a candle to the prick i can be . Just ask my kids !!!LOL !!God Bless ya Man !!
i love it Allen the rupublican did come out in you .

Leni

Allen, if I thought that you had posted this to gain points I'd come back there and hunt you down. But I'm seeing the side of a guy that I would love to have in my neighborhood and I am proud to call you a friend.

Silly me. If I lived closer to you I'd be there to help with this project.

I'm going to tell you a story on myself.

Now keep in mind that at this time I was dancing as a professional belly dancer. We were adding onto our house. The contractor arrived to do the roof but he had no helpers. I got onto the roof and told him that I was his dumb help. Never mind that I was in a bikini with keds on. (Why not get a tan when the opportunity presents itself?) You can imagine his expression. I had a tool belt on and later he admited to me that he could turn me into a journeyman carpenter in no time. He had a lot of other wives on projects get on the roof with him but they only lasted an hour at most. I was there the whole time. The contractor told my husband later that he'd love to have me on his crew.

Last edited:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Allen, if I thought that you had posted this to gain points I'd come back there and hunt you down. But I'm seeing the side of a guy that I would love to have in my neighborhood and I am proud to call you a friend.

Now keep in mind that at this time I was dancing as a professional belly dancer. We were adding onto our house. The contractor arrived to do the roof but he had no helpers. I got onto the roof and told him that I was his dumb help. Never mind that I was in a bikini with keds on. (Why not get a tan when the opportunity presents itself?) You can imagine his expression. I had a tool belt on and later he admited to me that he could turn me into a journeyman carpenter in no time. He had a lot of other wives on projects get on the roof with him but they only lasted an hour at most. I was there the whole time. The contractor told my husband later that he'd love to have me on his crew.

Well I got some news for you Lady !!!!I am not wearin NO Bikini while I am working there . ....

Oh ..... I don't have a problem wearin one and in fact just picked up a cute little outfit for this summer while driving my tractor . The problem is its snowing and I don't want a frozen a ,,,em a ,,
frost bite ,,,em a ,,, Well,,,,you get the picture :brows:

Attachments

• thCAJPWMHI.jpg
    thCAJPWMHI.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 76

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
If you would buy that cab and a heater you could wear it while pushing snow!:clap::yum::yum:

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
i was w/ you, al.

& still am, despite the image. the simpsons. where's a remote~ should set a reminder fer later on.

Leni

OMG! That's all we need is you in a bikini. You'd gross everyone out. At least I looked good. And it was summer.

No, you do not want to freeze 'em off. You realize that you are handing me a wonderful line but I'll be nice and not say what I am thinking.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
OMG! That's all we need is you in a bikini. You'd gross everyone out. At least I looked good. And it was summer.

No, you do not want to freeze 'em off. You realize that you are handing me a wonderful line but I'll be nice and not say what I am thinking.

I'll have you know "Young Lady" that in Panama I was told by my secretary that big men who have done well in business are considered sexy and a great catch by the women there !!!:biggrin::wow:I also think its because the women like the looks of the mans butt especially the right cheek of his ass,,,,,, where his wallet is :sad:.

Leni

You need to be more respectful towards your elders young man. :hammer: :smile:

big men who have done well in business are considered sexy and a great catch by the women there.

You've got it right in the second sentence. It's the wallet that they are looking at.

In my case I'm the one with the money. Humm. Need to buy DH a new pair of pads for his knees.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter

:nopics: