• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

DVD-R capacity?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm just curious, but how much storage capacity is there on a DVD-R disk? :confused:

I did a web search, got a bunch of techincal stuff that basically told me that different recorders would record at different capacities. But I'm not sure if the players would read them!?!

So can one of you techie types, please explain in simple English, how many GB of video content I can record onto a DVD-R disk when using my MacBookPro to copy the data to the disk?

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
So can one of you techie types, please explain in simple English, how many GB of video content I can record onto a DVD-R disk when using my MacBookPro to copy the data to the disk?

I'm assuming your Mac has a standard single-layer dvd writer. The standard size of a DVD +/-R is 4.7 GB. You can now get dual-layer dvd burners which use a different media and can hold about 8.5 GB.
I haven't done much burning of DVD's; I just know the basics. I have burned data, not video content.

Lawrence