• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

J5 rear wheel hub seal problem

IMP

Site Supporter
I changed seals a few years ago on my Bomardier J5. I found water in my rear hub so I pulled the tracks to inspect the seals. It appears that seal has been rubbing on the inner shoulder spindle mount. It's like the spacing is off a 1/8" or so. The other side rear wheel is in a similar condition too and one middle tire too. When I installed the seals in the hub I tapped them in flush to the hub face. Should I have tapped them in so they were recessed in an 1/8" farther in? Or could my spacer / wet rings be the wrong length? If I get new longer spacers I will need to drill another hole in the spindle for the cotter key and castle nut because no more room on spindle. Both rear spindles are 4 1/4" long. So nothing unusual there. Anyone know what's going on?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 233

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
P
I changed seals a few years ago on my Bomardier J5. I found water in my rear hub so I pulled the tracks to inspect the seals. It appears that seal has been rubbing on the inner shoulder spindle mount. It's like the spacing is off a 1/8" or so. The other side rear wheel is in a similar condition too and one middle tire too. When I installed the seals in the hub I tapped them in flush to the hub face. Should I have tapped them in so they were recessed in an 1/8" farther in? Or could my spacer / wet rings be the wrong length? If I get new longer spacers I will need to drill another hole in the spindle for the cotter key and castle nut because no more room on spindle. Both rear spindles are 4 1/4" long. So nothing unusual there. Anyone know what's going on?

Why does your mud ring look so thick? Normally they are stamped metal that looks machined and thicker

Here is a picture I just took the mud ring is .080 stamped steel. The seal ring (we call wedding bands ) which is heat treated and hardened is I'd 1.5 to slide over axle od 1.875 for seal lip and .685 high

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is a assembled picture ( just the loose parts not on machine )

I should note that the seal ring is what positions the back tapered roller bearing
It really looks like someone has made a part for yours all one piece?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 219

IMP

Site Supporter
It's the rear wheel. The adjustment wheel. The spindle that slides up and down the walking beam for track adjustment. I bought both walking beams and one of these slider spindles from you a few years ago

IMP

Site Supporter
Remember? That was your idea to use a hex drive socket head to hold the clamping bolts captive in my first photo

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Old and newer style
You have the old style that is the narrow ring also came in two OD

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 216

IMP

Site Supporter
Rear wheel spindle assembly. This spindle is 4.25" long. The forward and middle wheel spindles are 4.5" long. I have the narrow wedding ring on the rear spindle now in the photo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 214

IMP

Site Supporter
I have 6 new seals ready to install purchased at Prinoth. all the same 5/16" thick

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 216

IMP

Site Supporter
Here is the two style wedding Rings I have. The thinner 7/16" goes on the rear wheel and the thicker 11/16" wedding ring goes on the middle and forward wheels.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 214

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Just to Finnish this up for anybody following, like I mentioned to IMP,
It is possible to put to much pressure on the rear wheel seal by putting to much grease in the wheel from the front grease zerk. Especially with these new battery powered guns a person kind of looses track of time.

I have seen rear seals completely blown out on the wheels before. Also have seen very small holes drilled into the seals flat surface (1/32") to allow excess grease to flow out the back and not blow the seal.

And also have see the seals in backwards so the water stays out but the grease
Can flow out from the hub

Anyway good luck on the hunt and of course post us some pictures when you
Get back!

IMP

Site Supporter
Thanks for all the help Brad. The wedding band wheel spacer cut went well, reassembling things now. I will try and restrain myself from my over greasyness ways this time around. Track removal / installation is NOT my favorite pastime!

IMP

Site Supporter
The J5's broke trail and hauled in an awesome camp and hauled it all out, no problems, with all the meat

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 176

IMP

Site Supporter
Complete with fresh baked blueberry pie!
It was truly Dutch oven magic!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 176

IMP

Site Supporter
We turned these into prime steaks, roasts and sausage in my shop

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 174

IMP

Site Supporter
Thanks! You have the same machine I do. See the brush deflectors? The brush deflector frame also has another purpose. I can stow 8 6 gal gas jugs on it and around the trailer. This keeps the gas out of the meat box

IMP

Site Supporter
I found a big flaw in my J5 this trip. But I think I understand what's happening now and I know what I need to do to fix it. Watch these two videos and and study the two machines movements as they cross the ditch. All things are about equal between the two J5's except mine has a 1' back deck extension that the pindel is mounted on. This gives the trailer tongue leverage on the J5 which picks the J5 front up at extreme angles! My buddy has no deck extension so his pindel is mounted directly on his tub creating no leverage. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it. All I heard the whole trip is what a crappy operator I am!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2l674uilmkx724q/img_2680.mov?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a4w4d61ouzinefz/img_2681.mov?dl=0

My next project is to cut that back deck off and redo the rack. Right after I finish building the aluminum ocean boat I'm half done with!!!!

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
The early J5s were available with a trailer that holds about a cord of wood ( 4000 pounds ? )
The trailer had a rigid attachment to a U shaped mount that pivots on the walking beam axle rather than the body putting the weight much further forward.

I keep a front blade on mine to counter balance things.

IMP

Site Supporter
How the heck did that come off the walking beam axles with the track directly in line straight back from that point? Must have been some kind of offset connection to get around that track. I would like to see a picture of that if anyone has it. I don't understand why some one would even extend the rear deck 12". What real good does that do? I left it on because I didn't see it hurt anything at that time. Cutting the back off is no big deal but I don't like the idea of modifying or building a new rack ;(