• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Glitchy site behavior-anyone else??

R

Reddog

Seems like the site is having issues. I have a pretty fast connection and it seems that the pages are "stuttering" while trying to load. It almost acts like it is associated with ads, but not sure. I checked Chrome task manager and it also seems that it is using a ton of memory. The longer I am on it, the worst it seems to get. Does not matter what computer i use. Anyone else experiencing this??

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have seen certain ads take longer to load, but since the ads rotate it sure should not get worse the longer you are on. It should be hit and miss. Every once in awhile it might take longer. I have not noticed any issues in the past few days.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
I doubt related, but. Last week I had clicked on a sub-forum and had a totally unrelated site pop up. Happened a couple of times then OK again

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am having extremely long call up times.

I thought it was my crappy DSL but it is the same here at work.

Doc it is randomly faster.

Mike

undy

I doubt related, but. Last week I had clicked on a sub-forum and had a totally unrelated site pop up. Happened a couple of times then OK again

Same here last week.

Today several pages have stopped loading w/o actually showing anything.

Both issues have been intermittent.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Tonight for the first time in ages I'm seeing long load times here and at NTT. Pages that normally take 15-20 seconds(picture intensive) are taking 10-15 minutes to load. No other web sites have been an issue.

R

Reddog

Had my computer buddy stop by and watch as I navigated around the site. He confirmed that it was loading info/links/cookies whatever from what he termed "crappy sites", meaning slow to load info. Definitely associated with ads on the pages. I'm no computer guy, and I sure don't know, so if you disagree, please don't kill the messenger. He said something has to pay the way and make money for the site (forumsforums, not the snowcat forum specifically) and there was nothing that could be done about it. Sign of the times I suppose.....

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
For a week or so I've been experiencing uncommonly long load times with FF, NCT and two gun sites that are heavy laden with ads. Resetting my router hasn't helped, and clearing cache & cookies have not helped. AR15.com has gotten so bad I rarely go there because of it. Facebook pops up instantly, even my "ad heavy" weather site only takes 1-2 seconds to load. I have set all the plugins in Firefox to "Ask To Activate" because of all the crap that pops up in the background, even when "pop-up blocker" is activated. It gets quite annoying, and I tend to not go where I get frustrated. I realize sites don't operate for free, and depend on $$$ from ads to cover operational costs. But without viewers & contributors because of extended load times, the hits will diminish. It seems to be a delicate balancing act for survival of forums, and equipment/software glitches don't help the cause. As Internet speeds have increased, so have intrusive background crap. I have no answer other than to spend more time away from the computer, which is probably a good thing.:brows:

UPDATE: It took 7 seconds for this post to connect & upload, which is a quick connection lately. Often it takes longer. FWIW, I also get a message at the top of the screen saying "Firefox prevented this page from automatically redirecting to another page." There is a button to "Allow" this to occur, but the page loads even if this is not clicked on.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
When I posted happy birthday to Leni I got some kind of "timed out connection" error message. Then I think I hit enter again got back to the thread and my message showed.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Site is working well for me. I have a Mac computer/Safari and use an ad and cookie blocker. ( Ghostery) Also have a Flash blocker (clicktoFlash)

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
I've been watching the progress window in Firefox, and the slowdown (for me) is in the waiting/transferring data from ad.doubleclick.net. 14 seconds to load the main page, and the entire time the doubleclick site appeared to be working overtime. A lot of time just loading what appears to be a lot of data. I also have Flash disabled.

R

Reddog

Same observation here re: addoubleclick. Just keeps blinking and attempting to load pages. On ipad tonite and zero issues, but laptop pc and desktop at the shop both struggle. Running Chrome on both PCs.

Two Track Mind

I'm having the same problems. Bottom left of screen keeps flashing adddoubleclick or showadds.pubmatic and takes forever to load. Some times a full page ad comes up for google chrome or Adobe , both are already the newest versions. This is the only site I am having problems with. It took 5 minutes to get the message screen at the bottom to stay up without being blocked by a popup.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Not sure what you did, Doc, but FF and NCT are back to normal loading speeds. Let's keep our fingers crossed...

R

Reddog

Back on the laptop this AM and still struggling. All ad popup stuff, most if not all being blocked, but seems like the blocker is swatting 'skeeters in a swamp. Tons of them coming in and SLOWWWIIINNNGGG page loading...

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
You might want to try malwarebytes. Malicious ad software inserts itself and makes browsing a pain.
Malwarebytes has a free version and a paid version. Both appear to work. I did opt to upgrade to the paid version after I had tried it awhile. Here is a link :
http://www.malwarebytes.org/
As they say: this protects you from threats that anti virus software cannot detect.