• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1544 tucker ~~ Recognizing SCAM Auctions!!!

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

Attachments

• 29_1_b.JPG
    29_1_b.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 494

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Re: 1544 tucker

I am pretty sure the auction for the Tucker 1544 listed above is another of the famous Ebay SCAMS. Buyer beware on that auction. It employes several of the classic ebay scam techniques. Asks to be contacted via email not ebay messages. Has no history of buying anything other than sewing and craft items. Only sales feedback is irrelevant to current auctions. Ships worldwide. Smells fishy for me!

----------------------------------------------

There is also a nice looking 1344 Tucker for sale on Ebay right now too.

Link to Auction

This one is in Bend, OR.
Tucker Sno Cat model 1344, 1984, seats 8 - two in the front, six in enclosed heated cab with bench seats. 318 Crysler engine, 4 speed, manual transmission. This sno cat is very rare, and in excellent condition. It has under 1,000 hours. Dual gas tanks. Hydraulics and hitch in rear.

Attachments

• 47_1.JPG
    47_1.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 491
  • 99_1.JPG
    99_1.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 478
  • b8_1.JPG
    b8_1.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 482

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

Now that you mention it I see that the picture is one of Safety One's sales pictures. Besides the low price, what are the other tip-offs you noticed? And how do these guys do these scams, exactly?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

I thought I noticed the photo before and wasn't sure if it was on Art's Safety One site or not, but that is a good bet based on the background.

As for signs that it might be a scam . . .
  • Low price relative to value.
  • No specific shipping information.
  • Worldwide shipping on goods that are not easy to ship.
  • No verifiable history of selling similar items.
  • Verifiable history of selling totally unrelated items.
  • Verifiable history of buying totally unrelated items (in this case it is obviously someone who is into lady's arts & crafts based on buying habits).
  • Also asking to be contacted via email as opposed to being contacted through Ebay is another possible sign.
Again, these are just reasons why I suspect this is a scam, it is not proof.

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

I am loosing faith in E-Bay. This seller has 236 positive transactions and has been an E-Bay seller since '01. Has a bunch of snowmobiles for sale in other items. But yes I agree this is a scam. I know that picture and the price is too good to be true.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

You can't go by the seller's 'positive ranking' because the seller's ID was probably stolen. When looking at a big ticket item, it is always best to go look at WHAT they bought and WHAT they sold. In this case, the seller purchased a lot of arts and crafts/sewing type items. I suspect the seller is actually a little old lady who has no clue her ID was stolen.

As for all the other items for sale, all are snowmobiles and trailers. All are low priced. All were listed at roughly the same time. All are short auction durations. Then go look at the seller's history again and see what the seller sold in the past. The seller sold 2 books.

Now ask yourself some logical questions. How would someone who sells used books and buys sewing/craft items get into the snowcat/snowmobile business?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Re: 1544 tucker ~~ Recognizing SCAM auctions!!!

I've gotten a couple emails about how to detect an Ebay Scam and thought I would add to what I wrote. I'd also point out that these scams are NOT limited to Ebay. Craigslist also suffers from the same problem, as do numerous smaller sales websites.
B_Skurka said:
As for signs that it might be a scam . . .
  • Low price relative to value.
  • No specific shipping information.
  • Worldwide shipping on goods that are not easy to ship.
  • No verifiable history of selling similar items.
  • Verifiable history of selling totally unrelated items.
  • Verifiable history of buying totally unrelated items (in this case it is obviously someone who is into lady's arts & crafts based on buying habits).
  • Also asking to be contacted via email as opposed to being contacted through Ebay is another possible sign.
You can't go by the seller's 'positive ranking' because the seller's ID was probably stolen. When looking at a big ticket item, it is always best to go look at WHAT they bought and WHAT they sold. In this case, the seller purchased a lot of arts and crafts/sewing type items. I suspect the seller is actually a little old lady who has no clue her ID was stolen.

As for all the other items for sale, all are snowmobiles and trailers. All are low priced. All were listed at roughly the same time. All are short auction durations. Then go look at the seller's history again and see what the seller sold in the past. The seller sold 2 books.

Now ask yourself some logical questions. How would someone who sells used books and buys sewing/craft items get into the snowcat/snowmobile business?

Again, these are just reasons why I suspect this is a scam, it is not proof.
Recognizing scams

Most scams involve one or more of the following:
  • inquiry from someone far away, often in another country
  • Western Union, Money Gram, cashier's check, money order, shipping, escrow service, or a "guarantee"
  • inability or refusal to meet face-to-face before consumating transaction
Examples of Scams

1. Someone claims that craigslist will guarantee a transaction, certify a buyer/seller, OR claims that craigslist will handle or provide protection for a payment
  • These claims are fraudulent, as craigslist does not have any role in any transaction.
  • Scammer will often send an official looking email that appears to come from craigslist, offering a guarantee, certifying a seller, providing payment services -- all such emails are fakes!
2. distant person offers a genuine-looking (but fake) cashier's check
  • you receive an email (examples below) offering to buy your item, or rent your apartment, sight unseen.
  • cashier's check is offered for your sale item, as a deposit for an apartment, or for just about anything else of value.
  • value of cashier's check often far exceeds your item - scammer offers to "trust" you, and asks you to wire the balance via money transfer service
  • banks will often cash these fake checks AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE WHEN THE CHECK FAILS TO CLEAR, including criminal prosecution in some cases!
  • scam often involves a 3rd party (shipping agent, business associate owing buyer money, etc)
3. Someone requests wire service payment via Western Union or MoneyGram:
  • Often claim that an MTCN or confirmation code is needed before he can withdraw your money - this is FALSE, once you've wired money, it is GONE.
  • Scam "bait" items include laptops, plasma TVs, cell phones, tickets - but could be almost anything including tractors, snowmobiles, etc.
  • common countries currently include: Nigeria, Romania, Ukraine, Spain, UK, Italy, Netherlands - but could be anywhere
  • deal often seems too good to be true
4. distant person offers to send you a money order and then have you wire money:
  • this is ALWAYS a scam, in our experience - the cashier's check is FAKE
  • sometimes accompanies an offer of merchandise, sometimes not
  • scammer often asks for your name, address, etc for printing on the fake check
  • deal often seems too good to be true
5. distant seller suggests use of an online escrow service.
  • most online escrow sites are FRAUDULENT, operated by scammers
  • for more info, do a google search on "fake escrow" or "escrow fraud"
6. distant seller asks for a partial payment upfront, after which he will ship goods
  • he says he trusts you with the partial payment
  • he may say he has already shipped the goods
  • deal often sounds too good to be true
7. foreign company offers you a job receiving payments from customers, then wiring funds
  • foreign company may claim it is unable to receive payments from its customers directly
  • you are typically offered a percentage of payments received
  • this kind of "position" may be posted as a job, or offered to you via email
Now here are some actual scam letters that have been published. I've gotten these types of letters every time I have listed an antique tractor on the interent, even when I have not listed them for sale on Ebay. All of these letters below were sent to people at Craigslist.

Hello ,
Thanks for your mail back concerning the inquiry mail i sent to you.
The price,condition also the pics i viewed is okay by me .And my client
confirm there is no problem about the price($975 ) ,my client do pays with
a {USA}cashier check,he has agreed to mail out as bank cashiers check of
$3500. to you on my behalf to cover the shippment fees.About the shippment,
that we be taken care by my me & my personal assistant,my personal assistant
will be using his shipper to do the quick processing of the shipping of
the(1987 Toyota Celica) to my client.

So all you are to do after you will received the check in your mail,
Just take out your sale amount and refer the remaining money to my shipper
immediately through the westernunion or the money gramm outlet so to get the
money fast and start the fast arrangement for the pickup of the
(1987 Toyota Celica).Since you are the original owner of this item,and i
am buying the item directly from you i will like you to write your full name
to be on the check,with the mailing address which my client will be using
to issued out the check to you.I do wish to trust you by refering the rest
balance back to my shipper and also your fast doing to this transaction.
I will like to hear fromyou if this is okay by you and you are ready to
process ,if you aready to sale your item and promise refering the rest
balance to my shipper immediately you received the check so can start the
quick arrangement for the pickup. Any body that want to buy this item
this item just tell therm that it as been sold. I will like to copmplete
this transaction befor the new year. I be at my computer waiting to see
your epky to my payment method mailed.

THANKS AND MAIL ME BACK WITH YOUR DETAIL AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

##########

> Thanks for getting back to me,i will be
>purchasing the motorbike Like i said earlier i am based in the
>netherlands(holland).there won't be any probs about the shipment,after
>payment ,the pick up will be made at your place. i have made arrangements
>with the prepaid shipping company. As regards payment,this is what i am
>going to do;I have a client in ENGLAND who is owing me 5800POUNDS i would
>instruct him to make out a money order/certifiedcheck to you in that
>amount and as soon as it clears your bank. you can now deduct your money
>from it and send me my balance,i will using use part of the money to pay
>for the shipping and other expenses .you will then send my balance by via
>western union money transfer.Although the value of the check is more than
>the asking price but i think i should be able to trust you with my
>balance. The reason why i am doing this is that it would take a check
>sent from over here in HOLLAND 21days to clearover there,whereas a check
>sent from the US would clear tops within 48hrs. So i would like you to
>deduct the western union charges from my balance.So if my terms are
>acceptableto you,i would like you to give me your fullname,address and
>phone number so that i can instruct my client to make out the check to
>you. Pls get back to me as soon as you get this mail so that we can
>round things up in a timely fashion..i willbe trusting in this business
>transaction.

###########

> Good day
> i am an auto dealer based in TAIWAN,i am interested in buying your
> ( 1989 Jetta GL 4 door )I will like to know if you would accept
> acertified cashier check for the payment of the,i also need to
> know the price and your full name and address including your
> phone is also needed in which payment will be sent to . i have a
> shipping company who takes cares of my shippment .So don't bother
> about the shippment.I will also like to know if is still in good
> condition and
> shape.urgent response is needed for procedure of payment of the (
> 1989 Jetta GL 4 door )
> REGARD

#############

> Thanks for your mail,Since the cost of your bike is $800 i just contacted
my client about the cost of your bike and it present condition and he said
there is no problem about that.So my client said he will be issuing you a
Certified Check of $4000 while you wire 3000 to me through Western Union
Money Trasfer and you deduct the cost of your bike $800 and keep the
remaining $200 which my client said you should take for the terms of
Transaction and Agreement between you and my client.So i will like you to
send me your full contact information to where my client will be sending you
> the Certified Check like this:
> name.........
> full address.............
> city...............
> state.............
> country..........
> zipcode............
> cell/office/home phone number.......................
> I will look forward to the requested information as soon as possible so
that the check can be sent out to you immediately And do get back to me
with the Pics of the bike so tha! t my client will be Able to see What he
is paying off.Get back to me immediately. Looking torwards your
> respond,
> Best Regards.

###########

Good day
i am an auto dealer based in TAIWAN,i am interested in buying your
( Comic book collection - 500 comics )I will like to know if you
would accept acertified cashier check for the payment of the,i also
need to knowthe price and your full name and address including your phone
is alsoneeded in which payment will be sent to . i have a shipping
company who takes cares of my shippment .So don't bother about the
shippment.I will also like to know if is still in good condition
and shape.urgent response is needed for procedure of payment of the (
Comic book collection - 500 comics )
REGARD

I have received your email regarding my excavator on craigslist.org
The excavator is in full working condition.
It will be shipped from Canada as I now live here. I want to use a company that handles shipping and payment too. Something between escrow and cash on delivery. I get paid after they deliver the excavator to you in US. They have offices in Canada and there in the US too. Using their services I can have the excavator delivered to your address in 5-7 working days and we can both feel safe about this being in different countries. The company told me they accept 40% security deposits for transactions over $2,000. I will pay the shipping charges but I am not offering insurance. If you want it insured during shipping you need to pay an extra $200. Payment will be made after shipping starts and you will be able to confirm shipment with the company before making payment. Money will be sent to the escrow company not to me. The escrow company is in the US and your money will stay with them until they deliver it to your door.
We can agree on a testing period for you and during this period the money will still be in escrow. I can give 3 days to have the excavator inspected at any dealer you want.
Please tell me if this will work out for you and if there is anything else that you would like to know about this deal.
Hope to hear from you soon!

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter

mtncrawler said:
Besides the low price, what are the other tip-offs you noticed?
The most obvious tip-off:

"Email me at xxxx . Don't email to my ebay ID."

This is the most obvious evidence that the auction was posted by a scammer and not by the ebay account holder.

As soon as you see that, click on 'Report This Auction' at the bottom of the page.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

California said:
The most obvious tip-off:

"Email me at xxxx . Don't email to my ebay ID."

This is the most obvious evidence that the auction was posted by a scammer and not by the ebay account holder.

As soon as you see that, click on 'Report This Auction' at the bottom of the page.
Now to put all this into perspective, it is possible and reasonable to sell expensive goods long distance without getting screwed. This moring I finalized the sale of one of my convertibles. The buyer lives in Georgia. The money was wire transferred directly into my bank account. There are plenty of honest buyers and plenty of honest sellers. The key is to watch out and be very careful.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The SAME Tucker is for sale AGAIN, and it is available on 2 auctions at the same time!

And once again, both of these auctions on Ebay are a SCAM! What is truely amazing is that the same scammer is selling the same Tucker in two different auctions at the same time! This is obviously the same guy as who posted this Tucker in the first post in this same thread because his "other auctions" are also identical scams. But he is using another stolen Ebay ID to attempt to sell these things.

BUYER BEWARE! :eek:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1979-TUCKER-4-5-PASSENGER-SNOWCAT-SNOW-CAT_W0QQitemZ180047648340QQihZ008QQcategoryZ10170QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/1979-TUCKER-4-5-PASSENGER-SNOWCAT-SNOW-CAT_W0QQitemZ180047648907QQihZ008QQcategoryZ10169QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Attachments

• 39_1_b.JPG
    39_1_b.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 433

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
You would think since I bought it three times at full price they would give up and ship it to me freight prepaid......:yum: Am I gonna have to buy it again??????:confused2:

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
There should be something that EBAY can do about this. I am surprised that Safety One(the Dealer I sold it to) isn't going nuts trying to stop this. As it is now who would bid on this thing now that this scammer has put it out there so many times. Too bad.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
tom said:
There should be something that EBAY can do about this. I am surprised that Safety One(the Dealer I sold it to) isn't going nuts trying to stop this. As it is now who would bid on this thing now that this scammer has put it out there so many times. Too bad.

Tom, it looks like your Tucker is for sale again. And again it is for sale on eBay by another scammer!

http://cgi.ebay.com/1979-TUCKER-4-5...4QQihZ014QQcategoryZ63516QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

2f_1_b.JPG

1979 TUCKER 4-5 PASSENGER SNOWCAT SNOW CAT SNOWMOBILE ATV
RARE TUCKER 4 OR 5 PASSENGER 1544 TUCKER. TOTALLY REBUILT 2 SEASONS AGO WITH REBUILT PERKINS 4 CYLINDER DIESEL ENGINE, NEW TRACK BELTS AND MUCH MUCH MORE INCLUDING NEW PAINT, CARPET AND UPHOLSTERY. MACHINE IS IN "9+" CONDITION AND IS DEFINATELY THE NICEST TUCKER WE HAVE EVER HAD OF ITS TYPE (WE HAVE HAD OVER 200 IN PAST 20 YEARS). JUST HAD COMPLETE SERVICE PERFORMED INCLUDING FUEL AND BRAKE SYSTEMS. THIS MACHINE NEEDS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO GO INTO IMMEDIATE SERVICE SAFELY HAULING YOUR FAMILY OVER DEEP SNOW!!!
Please mail me at MFtrade@gmail.com if you want to buy it.
Buy it now for only $4,000.00.
Thank You!!!

Eric L

Site Supporter
So whats the answer on these scams? what is the easiest way to alert ebay?

I've been entertaining myself by placing crazy low bids, contacting the seller, e-mailing the scammer...and I've contacted ebay several times. ebay does not make it real easy to report, and I wrote a note to ebay and from their response I dont think they read it, or seem to care.

Eric

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have actually altered eBay to a few dozen scams. They never have removed one of them that I alerted them to. Other people have been more successful in getting eBay to remove scam auctions. But you seem to have experiences with eBay that is similar to mine . . . they don't seem to care.

I think the reality is we need to simply be aware.

In the case of this particular auction there was one bid placed. I sent an email to that member who bid on this Tucker and gave him a link to this thread so he can see for himself. The real problem is that people are attracted by greed and they think they can get a $10,000 to $15,000 sno-cat, or tractor, or car for just a few thousand dollars. They are too eager to part with their money to steal away a bargain, and they become easy targets to some semi-sophisticated scams.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
This time its bigger than just the Tucker. He shows 32 items listed for sale, mostly snowmobiles for which a $4k BIN is low but plausible.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZhandyman122958

That seller has never sold anything before, just bought electronics items.

I sent him an email and also reported the Tucker auction via the links at the boom of the auction page. I think 'avoidance of fees' is the only message category that ebay reads.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't buy much on e-bay anymore but I've seen someone do something that looked appropriate.

Create a bogus ID on e-bay with a name like "scammer-dont-bid" (and of course a corresponding e-mail address from one of the freeby services).

Put a $20,000 bid on each scam item to let others know not to bid on the item.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
I have actually altered [alerted] eBay to a few dozen scams. They never have removed one of them that I alerted them to.
Bob, we must have made some impression on ebay. All 32 of that seller's auctions are gone.

I always use ebay's 'contact the seller' to ask if I can come see the equipment. I don't know if its our complaints, or the sellers reaction to the contact that actually closes the auctions.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Create a bogus ID on e-bay with a name like "scammer-dont-bid" (and of course a corresponding e-mail address from one of the freeby services). Put a $20,000 bid on each scam item to let others know not to bid on the item.
Should work, but you still need two accounts because the visible price will only be the minimum increment ($5, $10 etc) above the second-place bid. If there is only one bidder the price shown will still be the seller's opening price, often $1, no matter how many times you bid.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
California said:
Should work, but you still need two accounts because the visible price will only be the minimum increment ($5, $10 etc) above the second-place bid. If there is only one bidder the price shown will still be the seller's opening price, often $1, no matter how many times you bid.
Agreed on needing 2 accounts. This one is only used to stop spammers.
If you bid $20K, that'll assure nobody else gets spammed. If you win the item but the seller can't produce it, e-bay "shouldn't" cancel your spammer ID.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It's BAAAACK again!!! :pat:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1979-TUCKER-4-5-PASSENGER-SNOWCAT-SNOW-CAT_W0QQitemZ110065662297QQihZ001QQcategoryZ2312QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This time he is only asking $13. No Reserve. He has a couple other interesting auctions too. I like the hovercrafts!

Attachments

• 5279_1_b.JPG
    5279_1_b.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 163
  • c56b_1_b.JPG
    c56b_1_b.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 167
  • cb0f_1_b.JPG
    cb0f_1_b.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 166

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
1. Reported to ebay as fee avoidance.

2. I sent the following to a someone shown in the seller's feedback:

"Please send an email to your recent ebay customer 'oreomousie' at the address in your historic records, not his present 'contact the seller', and ask if he has suddenly switched to selling expensive snomobiles from West Virginia via 'contact me off ebay' . It looks to me like his account was hacked by a scammer who is now selling bogus stuff using that account name. Thanks!"

Since oreomousie has been buying only embroidery stuff recently, this should get him moving on shutting down the snowmobile auctions listed using his name.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Damnit man, I wanted the blue Hovercraft for only $13.00. Now you screwed me out of another toy :whistle:

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Bob, we seem to be having some effect:

This listing (110065662297) has been removed or is no longer available. Please make sure you entered the right item number.
If the listing was removed by eBay, consider it canceled.
s.gif

s.gif

s.gif
x.gif
x.gif
imgShield_25x25.gif
Marketplace Safety Tip
imgTabCorner_25x25.gif
Never pay for your eBay item using instant cash transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram or by recharging someone's prepaid credit card. These methods are not safe to pay people you do not know personally.

In addition, these payment methods are not eligible for the eBay buyer protection programs.

Further information on trading safely

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well here is another one.

As i take this auction very seriously i want to speak personally with every interested buyer who's ready to make the deal of the year.
I will sell it only to a serious person,just after i'll talk with him via e-mail
This is my e-mail address :
Datymybany@aol.com
NO BIDS!!
I will sell it only for "buy it now".
Great price US $2,900$.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1987-Tucker-Sno-Cat-Trail-Groomer-Snow-Groomer_W0QQitemZ130061225730QQihZ003QQcategoryZ10885QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I've now seen this same one 3 times. I got it shut down twice. He is now offering this SAME unit for sale in 2 auctions, he also has a PB unit for sale.

Go look while you still can because he is offering some great "Christmas Discounts" :horsepoop:

Attachments

• 164b_1_b.JPG
    164b_1_b.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 121

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Reported. Reason 'offering for sale outside ebay'.

He now has 160 auctions going. All the ones I saw are equipment listed in Collectibles/Frogs and Collectibles/Comics. I reported the following nine:

130061225895, 130061225945, 130061225976, 130061226013, 130061226067, 130061228698, 130061229213, 130061229394, 130061229471

If several of us report these same auctions we can take him down.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I also reported him a couple of times this morning. Apparently people are very stupid, gullible or greedy? Its an epidemic.