• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Track Master ST4b from Germany, a confession...

Alp Trac

Ok, so confess I didn't start a thread about this one because i was going to bid on it. Turns out that when the auction is due to end I am at a friend's house for dinner, no problem I borrow his applemac...Bloody useless thing, I didn't know you have to press the shift key to get the numbers so I snipe a bid, with 30 seconds to go, of ,.*(. Need less to say i didn't win.

The up side was it didn't reach reserve.

So I phone the very nice German owner and reason with him and we agree a
price. I drive 500 miles through the night with trailer to the German/Austrian Tyrol border and arrive the next day, hand over the cash, load up the ST4b(bit wider than I anticipated!) and drive back 500 miles.

All in a day's work for a snow trac fan..

So I am know the proud owner of the Mattlhous Ski Taxi (they now have a skidoo).

I have posted the photos the last owner sent me.

I will post some more detailed ones next week, it has the remains of the hydraulic system ( the silver box on the os wing) and a horrible big black box with an electric fan in it on the bonnet.

I will remove this, I think it has suffered over heating problems because the front half of the engine heat cowel is missing.

It otherwise seems to be in excellent condition, chassis is great (it has always been garaged), roof is good, gear selector needs some work though.

The bonus was I arrived there and the owner insisted I loaded uo a load of spares that he had forgotton to mention (or was lost in translation).

These include the remanants of an ST4 that they broke for parts, 3 large wheels and good tyres (panic over for my tyre quest) four brand new steel chain drive sprockets ( 4 large and 4 small), track cleats, alloy drive shaft casings, and several bits I don't recognise.

I will post photos of the bits too.

Any way any help that can be offered in relation to the ST4b would be very much appreciated, as ever,

Thanks, Alp Trac (2 off)

:France:

Attachments

• snowtrac2.jpg
    snowtrac2.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 384
  • snowtrac6.jpg
    snowtrac6.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 385
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 393

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The Snow Trac and the Snow Master are nearly identical in every way except a few minor issues. The tracks on the Snow Master are both wider and longer. The Snow Master also has some auxiliary hydraulics systems to control some optional implements. The engines, brakes, variator, etc systems should be identical between the models.

Do you have the full set of manuals? In some of the manuals I have they include Snow Master hydraulics information.

And please take that ugly black box off the front of the Snow Master's hood!!! :thumb:

Alp Trac

Had an interesting afternoon today.

I took the remanants of the front groomer frame off the trackmaster, the previous owner had fitted a kind of basket on there to carry supplies for his restaurant.

Then I had a look at the gear selector stick, it was like stirring jelly, and first and third would grind and not stay in place. a quick bit of adjustment and replacing a missing bolt and all is well.

Next job is to remove that big ugly black box of of the bonnet.

I am missing the front portion of the engine shroud, between the engine and the front grill, I don't suppose any one has one surplus to requirements?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Alp Trac said:
I am missing the front portion of the engine shroud, between the engine and the front grill, I don't suppose any one has one surplus to requirements?
If you are talking about the sheet metal panel, then I doubt you will find one other than from a salvage unit. However, I think that many of those are discarded when engines are swapped. I've seen photos of many engine compartments that show those shrouds missing.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
ALP TRAC Whats the status of your snow master? Looks to be in pretty good shape! We do need more pics though. Also we have a outline on the sheetmetal you need. We can copy it onto some paper and mail it to you. Keep us posted!