• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker Heater/Defroster box/FAn

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The fan in my heater box needs some love. Looks like a standard fan used in other applications. Haven't removed it yet but hoping someone knows where I can find one or has some info on them.

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Let me know the shaft diameter and fan diameter (4 blade measure across, 5 blade stand it on table (like gingerbread man) and measure to top of blade.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
B4B,

I don't know if Tucker still has the records from 1968, but when I bought my first Tucker a few years ago I got them to email me a copy of the build sheet for that machine, a 1980 1543. It lists the suppliers and model/part numbers for all kinds of different components. It's very good information to have. For example; the cab heater was supplied by a company called "Red Dot" (still in business).

I would humbly suggest you give them a call and see if they have that build sheet and could send you a copy.

Again, this is from 1980, but when Tucker delivered a Sno-Cat they gave the purchaser a comprehensive binder with copies of Tucker drawings and part numbers as well as brochures from some of the component suppliers such as Dana/Spicer (axles), Garrison (hydraulic cylinders), Char-Lynn (steering control valve), etc. Unfortunately over the years these binders get lost and rarely follow the machine.

Laurentian

Again, this is from 1980, but when Tucker delivered a Sno-Cat they gave the purchaser a comprehensive binder with copies of Tucker drawings and part numbers as well as brochures from some of the component suppliers such as Dana/Spicer (axles), Garrison (hydraulic cylinders), Char-Lynn (steering control valve), etc. Unfortunately over the years these binders get lost and rarely follow the machine.

Common with machines tools as well, we bought a cnc lathe with little to no documentaion. Have to either buy from Mazak at crazy prices or get someone to copy one making for a second rate manual :neutral:

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
1/4" or 5/16" shaft? I definitely have something that will fit at work. Will look Monday.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good news. Got the heater box apart and it is working fine. Needs some cleaning to remove the animal home but is in great shape. Tested the motor and it works fine. Only one direction.

What confused me is when I pulled the front of the box off a fan blade fell out. The fan was never hooked up for this application it appears to be just floating in there. The motor on top is off set so there is no possible way the motor could have hooked to this second blade. It was hooked up to a two way on/off/on switch so I was thinking one way blew defrost and the other heat but this motor is one direction only. The defrost is the heat and the opening and closing of the doors control the cabin temp.

So I am not sure if the front piece is correct or what but it came with a loose fan blade that did not fit this application.

It does appear to be a Red Dot. Clean paint and it is going back int.

Attachments

• heat1.jpg
    heat1.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 257
  • heater2.jpg
    heater2.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 249
  • heat3.jpg
    heat3.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 252
  • heat4.jpg
    heat4.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 255
  • heat5.jpg
    heat5.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 253
  • heat6.jpg
    heat6.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 259

Mtn-Track

I think someone's been 'playing' with that heater. The 5-bladed fan is what was in it originally and attached to a one-way motor. The heater in my '53 looks like a match and the one in the '58 I had is a little larger and very similar. Not sure what that other fan/housing came out of that you have a picture of but I don't think it was original to this set-up...:ermm:

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Picture 4 is what the black fan is hooked to. There is actually a cover I have removed. On each side of the fan the hose goes to the defrosters on driver and passenger drawing it up through the box. If you look at picture 1 wich is the main frame the black fan is mounted there on top and is off set toward the firewall. Strange but if I take the lose fan out and mount the black one back everything seems to work. Seems like the front face plate that held the fan blade was for something else and may have contained its own motor. If it did the motor does not line up with the hole exiting the top which would go to the defroster.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I will put up a pick tomorrow of it assembled in functional order. pic 1 and 6 are the same and that is the roque part i think.

Mtn-Track

I think I understand it now. The 'box' is the original heater that would house the heater core and motor with the 5-bladed fan, like my older Tuckers have (had). Yours has the addition of another motor, fan and duct housing mounted on top of it to feed the defrosters(?). I'll take a picture of mine tonight and post it up to compare.

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow, the fan blade was expected, but I have never seen anything like the other. Be very careful with that blade because a replacement of that impellor style fan may be damn near impossible to find in the right dimensions. :ermm: Curious to see how this is laid out now.

Is there still room or a position inside the box where a secondary (or primary) motor would attach? If I understand it correctly, right now yours is pulling all of the air up thru the top of the box to blow on the windshield. But there isn't currently a means to blow air to the floorboards and your feet?

Last edited:

Mtn-Track

The one in my '53 is a little different (grey one) and so is the one that was in the '58 I had. Both are single motor, 5-blade fan (like you have), with the defrost hoses exiting out of both sides...

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 218
  • 58 tucker 005.jpg
    58 tucker 005.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 225

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mine is a bit different. Also mine is mouhdet further up under the dash board. Curious to see what is on the build sheet when I get it.

Are there pics of the 53? Looks like a nice restore.