• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

The birds are eating the dog food...

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Besides keeping the dog dish inside, does anyone have any ideas on how to keep the birds from eating it? They'll empty the bowl once or twice a day (which is more than the dog eats).

I have an owl decoy that I could put up but the last time I had it up, the birds didn't seem to care about it.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I may have to try that. I just wonder if the dog will tear it apart...

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Rubber snake will last about two days. Then the birds will laugh at it. That is from experience and just like the owl I tried.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
.410 with #8 shot. After a few days they get scared away. Try putting corn or sunflower seed away from the dog food.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I loaded the bird feeder last week hoping that would fix it but now they're just eating out of both.
I cleaned the bird crap off the owl decoy just now and put that out. You can tell that it didn't really work the last time (to keep the birds off the grill and slamming the windows) because they would sit on it and poop...
I asked my son where one of his rubber snakes are but like most of his toys, he doesn't have a clue.
I can do the .410 but would prefer not. Those shells are getting pretty pricey these days. Also, the dog dish sits about 6" away from a glass door.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I loaded the bird feeder last week hoping that would fix it but now they're just eating out of both.
I cleaned the bird crap off the owl decoy just now and put that out. You can tell that it didn't really work the last time (to keep the birds off the grill and slamming the windows) because they would sit on it and poop...
I asked my son where one of his rubber snakes are but like most of his toys, he doesn't have a clue.
I can do the .410 but would prefer not. Those shells are getting pretty pricey these days. Also, the dog dish sits about 6" away from a glass door.

I have a bunch of .410 reload rejects you can have, be perfect for your application! And even then I can reload just that recipe with #8's.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Build a small little hut with a hole large enough for the dish and the dog's nose. Then have a rubber flap to it. The dog may have to do some learning but so far what everyone has suggested I just don't think it is going to work.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
use this as an excuse to build a new screen porch.
then you'd have a place to put your new hot tub!

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Metal dog bowl with rubber rim around the bottom, sheet of aluminum foil under bowl, 12 volt battery and 2 leads. Need I say more.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Sell the dog and buy a cat .........
:yum:

Brian, I don't know what brand of food you feed your dogs, or the size of the kibble.
It makes sense that a bird can only beak and carry what they can, so I'd go for a larger sized kibble.
Outsmart the birds, and sit back and watch them try to carry it away.:brows:

Alonzo Tubbs

Carpe Diem
SUPER Site Supporter
Many years ago, the Smothers Brothers used to glue peanuts and popcorn to the ground and watch the pigeons go crazy trying to get it. Might be worth a try.

On a more serious note, my high school freind, Walter Wilder, used to wait until the snow had almost stopped falling. He'd set snap spring type rat traps all around the yard and when the snow stopped he'd sprinkle (throw) popcorn on top of the buried traps. When the birds came for the popcorn... Well, it worked better than an owl decoy.