• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Help wanted in the Arctic...

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
I posted it in another Forum, but thought some others may be interested enough to check it out after another poster was looking for winter work in Alaska from "Outside"!

Enjoy, comments welcome....:brows:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I haven't done winter camping with no tent. I haven't lived anywhere where it gets below 0. The coldest I have slept outside was in a tent when it was 13 degrees out. I would love to camp in a colder environment though. I like the cold and the 13 F didn't feel very cold at all.

Well you can check with the University of Alaska Fairbanks, they are looking for some help this winter on some expeditions for the Ice worm work this winter... They live on Glaciers.

Ice worm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
For methane ice worms, see Hesiocaeca methanicola.
Ice wormScientific classificationKingdom:AnimaliaPhylum:AnnelidaClass:ClitellataSubclass:OligochaetaOrder:Haplotaxida
Family:EnchytraeidaeGenus:Mesenchytraeus
Eisen, 1878 [1]
Ice worms are species of the worm genus Mesenchytraeus that live in glacial ice. They include Mesenchytraeus solifugus, M. harrimani, M. kuril, M. maculatus and M. obscurus.
The first ice worms species were discovered in 1887 in Alaska, on the Muir Glacier .[2] These glacier ice worms can be found on glaciers in Alaska, Washington, Oregon and British Columbia. They have not been found in other glaciated regions of the world. The name "solifugus" is Latin for "sun-avoiding", as ice worms retreat underneath the ice before dawn. Enzymes in ice worms have very low optimal temperatures, and can be denatured at even a few degrees above 0 °C (32 °F). When ice worms are exposed to temperatures as high as 5 °C (41 °F), their membrane structures disassociate and fall apart (i.e., "melt") causing the worm itself to "liquify". Ice worms are several centimeters long, and can be black, blue, or white in color. The ice worms come to the surface of the glaciers in the evening and morning. On Suiattle Glacier in the North Cascades population counts indicated over 7 billion ice worms on that glacier alone.

2002818142.jpg

What the hired help is going to be is to be doing is the snow snake patrol, they are the natural predator for the ice worm. They have very small teeth and since they live in sub zero temps, they are about six feet long, with a seal like fur that is white and have an anti-freeze type of body fluid like some frogs so the cold doesn't affect them. But if they bit you, it is like pouring liquid nitrogen on your skin, you get an immediate case of frost bite. So you would be monitoring the sensors to tell the science techs that they are in the area.... Pay for that type of work is unbelievable!

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
LOL, you need to go back and reread my response! Reeeaaalllyyy carefully!

:yum:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IokkPlY2HOY"]Wilf Carter - When The Ice Worms Nest Again - YouTube[/ame]

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
That was cute, never heard that before!

Thanks..

Any guesses on what is wrong on my OP? Someone has to get it!

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Any guesses on what is wrong on my OP? Someone has to get it!
A snow snake? With fur?

Edit............Playing with snow snakes was once a popular game in the North Or Northwest. The "snakes" were actually made out of wood.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
A snow snake? With fur?

That's it! But when you lead in with real "Ice Worms", that gives the rest some validity, and it goes from there!

Evil of me, but funny as all get out on the newbies to Alaska! Well worth the build up!