• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Help with Dog

AndyM

Charter Member
Allie is a 4 1/2 year old female chocolate lab/husky mix. She was fixed when she was around six months old.

She has not had an accident in the house since she was four months old, but I noticed an unusual smell as soon as I walked in the door this evening... It was a REALLY STRONG fish smell. I quickly found the puddle on the carpet in the den. We cleaned up the mess, but we can't get rid of the smell. I can't stand seafood and the smell is awful to me.

I've never had a dog that caused a smell like this. This may be a silly question, but I don't think this is normal, is it? I did a Google search and didn't really find anything. Anyone out there know what this is?

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Get some paper towels and try to absorb as much as you can. Then go to the store and purchase a package or two of Massing Original Formula douche and mix it according to directions and put it on the spot. Then using a clean cotton towel folded into quarters, put it over the spot to wick out the solution. You might have to do this a few times over the next few days to totally remove the stain. If there is foam padding under the rug, it is very difficult to remove the stain. Also take the dog to the vet and see if there is any thing abnormal about the kidney function that might have caused this. Dogs that are house broken, usually don't have accidents unless it is totally unavoidable....... Junk...

AndyM

Charter Member
Thanks... We're already planning to call the vet this morning.
An accident in the house once every four years isn't too bad... The unusual (unbearable) smell is what concerns me.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
If she hate something strange (she is half lab so this is possible) then it is entirely possible that this caused her urinary problems.

My female dog has a lovely set of anal sac/glands that need to be "juiced" (for lack of a better word) every so often or else she used to leak them in the house. It stunk really bad (like fish). I seemed to remember that this started happening noticeably when she was around 3 years old.

I talked to a vet about them once and they can be removed.

Anyways, once I learned how to "juice" this nasty stuff out I just started doing it every time I was giving her a bath or hosing her down (hose downs are pretty frequent) the accidents stopped.

The anal sac discharge isn't very much at most it is a tablespoon of fluid and it is milky or cloudy in appearance. If the puddle was fairly small then I would suspect that this might be it. If it is larger then perhaps she has some sort of urinary tract infection.

The best advice though is to talk to your vet.

PB

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Well Andy, did you ever get things cleaned up and no smell? I have to clean up my puppy's cage this morning (he's 5 months old) for only the 2nd time. Gees, what a stinking mess!!!! There's crap everywhere! :smileywac Hell, I let him out and first he tries to jump up on me, yuck, then he licks me, YUCK! Before I can get him out the garage door, he shakes and splatters crap all the way up to the 10' high ceiling and all over both cars! :mad:

Gees, what a shitty start to the day!

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Dargo said:
Well Andy, did you ever get things cleaned up and no smell? I have to clean up my puppy's cage this morning (he's 5 months old) for only the 2nd time. Gees, what a stinking mess!!!! There's crap everywhere! :smileywac Hell, I let him out and first he tries to jump up on me, yuck, then he licks me, YUCK! Before I can get him out the garage door, he shakes and splatters crap all the way up to the 10' high ceiling and all over both cars! :mad:

Gees, what a shitty start to the day!

Nice description - I'm glad I finished my cereal! Although I think toddler diarrhea is worse (now that I have experienced both).

Don't you have a teenager that has done something wrong around there that you can task with the cleanup?

JimR

Charter Member
You people really know how to make someone laugh. So while we are on this shitty subject. Have you ever see a baby do a Hershey squirt when changing his diaper? I never laughed so hard in my life and left the room with the wife in it.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
JimR said:
You people really know how to make someone laugh. So while we are on this shitty subject. Have you ever see a baby do a Hershey squirt when changing his diaper? I never laughed so hard in my life and left the room with the wife in it.

Key term: "his diaper" - only a boy would do that. My daughters are much too lady like to do that.:D

I won't mention the vomit dreadlocks and the floaters in the tub.:eek:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
PBinWA said:
Key term: "his diaper" - only a boy would do that. My daughters are much too lady like to do that.:D

I won't mention the vomit dreadlocks and the floaters in the tub.:eek:

:yum: Every used one of those "1sie" (sp?) on your kids? You know the one piece T shirt that buttons on the bottom to stay on them? My oldest daughter (she is 15 now) pooped a brute so big one night that it was not only out of her diaper, up her back, but was actually in the back of her hair! :puke1: That was NASTY! When she was born she had hair that was over her ears, so she had plenty of hair for it to mix with. She already knows that that story will be told to each of her dates that I meet. :thumb:

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
One morning I awoke to find my youngest daughter, less that year old at the time eating cocoa puffs in her crib. I wondered how the hell did she get them, and back in her crib? Turned out, the cocoa puffs were really Kix. You guys know the rest, I'm sure.:pat::tiphat::beer:

JimR

Charter Member
Dargo said:
:yum: Every used one of those "1sie" (sp?) on your kids? You know the one piece T shirt that buttons on the bottom to stay on them? My oldest daughter (she is 15 now) pooped a brute so big one night that it was not only out of her diaper, up her back, but was actually in the back of her hair! :puke1: That was NASTY! When she was born she had hair that was over her ears, so she had plenty of hair for it to mix with. She already knows that that story will be told to each of her dates that I meet. :thumb:

Go ahead, make my day. I'm still laughing my ass off about this one. :yum: :yum: :yum:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Dargo said:

Hmmm . . . Thanks Dargo! Now I know one more way to keep boys away from my girls when they get older. I think I need to take some video of this stuff, show it to the boys, if the get all grossed out and queasy then they can go out with my girls (maybe) if they aren't grossed out then they are sick and depraved like me and will be shown the road.:whistle: