• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

HaWOOOomff

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I've spent the past week (at night after work) working the bugs out of the Self-propelled Corn Picker I bought (combine with a corn head on it). The last (or so I thought!) hurdle was the starting system. Motor would run good and restart fine unless I shut it off for 15 minutes or so, then it acted like a dead battery. Turned out the float was stuck and flooding several of the cylinders and that created too much pressure in the cylinders...I think it's called hydro-lock.

Soooo, I turned off the fuel, pulled the plugs, and had the wife climb up in the cab. "Turn it over Dear..." and sure enough it shot alot of gas out of the cylinders - all over the inside of the engine compartment. I stood there watching it drip down on the engine and made the mistake of saying "one more time just to be sure the cylinders are empty..." and "HaWOOOomff" as I was enveloped by a giant fireball. The next thing I knew I was picking myself up off the ground about 10' away from where I had been standing.
My beard, mustache, eyebrows, eyelashes, all melted and smouldering. The knit hat I had on was melted (saved my hair though). Sure was glad I had my safety glasses on!

God was smiling on me though (maybe laughing is a better description), all I ended up with was 2nd degree burns on my forehead, cheeks, and (ouch) lips.
Oh yeah - and lots of melted snow and fire extinguisher effluent in the engine compartment.

I wish I had a picture of the wife doing the high dive out of the cab...:eek:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OMG!!!! :eek:

Spark plug wire the probable culprit?

Glad to hear you came out of it with only minor injuries.

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Yep - plug wires laying on head that was covered in gas.

Maybe I'll put a diesel in it...:whistle:

BoneheadNW

Damn-you are lucky it wasn't worse! Thats one hell of a way to lose the beard!

To treat the wounds, I recommend heavy drinking on the couch in front of the T.V. No Oprah though.

Good Luck,

Bonehead

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I nursed my lip wounds with plenty of Bud last night. Might have to leave work at noon today to continue my treatment!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
BH provided a good recommendation for treatment.

If I may add, also sing the title line of "What was I thinking" (Dierks Bentley) over and over as well. ;)

BoneheadNW

Wannafish said:
I nursed my lip wounds with plenty of Bud last night.
Boy did you set yourself up for a joke there! Notice I didn't take advantage as even I don't make fun of people who have burned their face doing stupid things. Now Junkman, he is another type all together...........

Bonehead

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
What no picture? C'mon! Next time (there will be a next time - won't there?) get the wife to snap a quick picture while there is still smoke coming off your face!

;)

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
BoneheadNW said:
.................... Now Junkman, he is another type all together...........

Bonehead

Bonehead....... you are such a bonehead!!!!!!!!!! :finger2: :finger3 f :finger1:

For the burns, get some Preparation H and use it as a topical ointment. The product is used as a burn ointment in other parts of the world, but the Government doesn't allow dual use labeling in the USA. Use the cream type, not the gel. Dr. Junkmedicine

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
I always heard apple cider is good for burns..........Ask your wife to bring you a glass & tell her you want to soak your face in cider..................

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That reminds me of one that happened this past fall.
A friend of my brothers got a deal on a houseboat that had been sitting a few years. He worked on it got both motors running, everything looked good. He decided to take her for the maiden voyage. On the way to the boat ramp he toped off one of the gas tanks. They got it backed into the water okay, one motor running just fine. When he started the other motor Ka boom. Flames shot into the cabin area and demolished the whole inside of the houseboat. Rusty lost a bit of hair to, but was okay ...no trip to the hospital or nothing. Turns out the gas tank had a leak and gas was running out and into the motor compartment. Topping off the tank is what did it. He had insurance so now he has a major winter project to completely redo the inside of the houseboat.

humor_me

Junkman said:
Bonehead....... you are such a bonehead!!!!!!!!!! :finger2: :finger3 f :finger1:

For the burns, get some Preparation H and use it as a topical ointment. The product is used as a burn ointment in other parts of the world, but the Government doesn't allow dual use labeling in the USA. Use the cream type, not the gel. Dr. Junkmedicine

OH NO,
I used the suppositories.....................:D :D :D cuz, for all the good the cream did, I should'a just shoved it up my ass!!

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
humor_me said:
OH NO,
I used the suppositories.....................:D :D :D cuz, for all the good the cream did, I should'a just shoved it up my ass!!

What the hell did you do with them, suck on em like a cough drop?!?!

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
"Torched a Vette once doing that. Forgot to kill the ign before I cranked it over to empty the cyl's"

Bad-itude, I'd just like to thank you for admitting that...I don't feel quite so bad now!:drink:

BadAttitude

:tiphat: No problemo:D

Want to hear about the air bag that went off 2" from my ear? :eek:
Say what?...speak up, I can't hear you:whistle: