• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

When Did You Consent?

Bamby

When did you consent to your bank "sharing" data on your account with Facebook?

Would you consent? Under what terms?

Are you out of your ****ing mind?

Facebook's stock is up some 3.5% today on the "news" that it is working on "partnerships" with major banks, which will include access to your account data -- including balances.

May I remind you that the major credit-card processing networks -- same banks, ultimately folks -- have over the last few years, prompted by the "chip" thing in cards, quietly been changing from "Level 1" (that is, amount-of-transaction only) data from merchants to Level 3, which captures the quantity, price and exact items or services purchased?

The merchants are being coerced into this with a lower discount rate if they consent, with the argument being "better fraud detection" and thus lower losses. In other words where the discount rate might be 2% if they just do transaction total the banks will give them a 1.5% rate if they consent to Level 3.

When were you consulted on any of this and given fair disclosure?

When was a sign posted at the checkout that every single line item in your cart was being sent, in detail, to both Visa and your bank and that they may do with that data as they please, including selling it to your health insurance firm, car insurance company and, quite-possibly, your employer?

Never.

So now you go into a restaurant and instead of the bank knowing you charged $45.02 on your card they now know you bought a $20 steak and $18 worth of beer -- and the rest was tip.

They also now know if those beers were $6 each -- you drank three -- or if you got them on happy hour for $2 and you drank nine of them!

This is extremely valuable information; among other things if you ever buy alcohol far enough away from your home that you could not have reasonably walked you are instantly assumed to drive drunk by your car insurance company and pay another $200 a year -- or more -- for your car insurance.

Think I'm kidding?

Nope.

This is happening right now, today.

Now Facebook wants the same thing, indirectly, so they can exploit it and they're going to get it.

When did you consent to any of this from either end?

Never.

Were you ever told that the local eatery went from "total transaction amount" (which you could reasonably assume) being communicated to Visa, Master Card, Discover, Amex and your bank to every single line item being reported to them?

No, you were not, just like you were not told when Verizon stuck "supercookies" on every web transaction you made through a mobile phone on their network and collected all that data on exactly where you go, when, on your phone handset.

That happened years ago and not one person has ever been prosecuted for it nor has it been stopped.

Has any of this been curtailed or this data been restricted or deemed to belong to you, anywhere, or has any executive ever been indicted or prosecuted even if you get directly screwed by some "glitch", such as Wells Fargo's repeated and outrageous hosing of customers?

Nope, never.

The same screwing will happen here -- and if you think it's not worth anything and you're not "interesting enough", well, the market says you're going to get ****ed up the ass by it because the stock market just added $20 billion to Facebook's valuation this morning immediately following the announcement.

Enjoy the buttsexing of both your person and wallet folks, because it's certainly not******as long as you keep consenting.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Very simple answer and active participation required..

Switch to a smaller private Bank. Get the F out of the big Banks ASAP.

Facebook is not the only reason to do so, just one of several.

Regards, Kirk

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I recently got a car loan and was assigned to a local credit union. I got a letter saying what they could share and who they could share it with and whether or not I can opt out.

One of the things that I can't opt out of is receiving offers from whoever they want to 'share' with. They say it's a federal rule. I find that very invasive !!!
Just when I thought I had my junk mail and junk email under control, a bunch of companies that I will never ever do business have my addresses.
Good grief !

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
I don't have a facebook account.... WHY do you?

My phone is a monthly pay phone fone (trac phone) that can not be traced to me.

They still can see who I call and vice versa........ haven't figured a way around that.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't have a facebook account.... WHY do you?

My phone is a monthly pay phone fone (trac phone) that can not be traced to me.

They still can see who I call and vice versa........ haven't figured a way around that.
As far as I know my phone can't be tracked because I have Verizon security settings.
I also do not bank at a big bank.
I've been with them for 14 years.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That was my first thought also Kirk. Get out of the Big Banks if you have an account there. I got very frustrated with Big Banks last century and have been with smaller ones for the last 25+ years. Ludicrous. I do have a FB account. But whenever I get to a site and they offer for me to log on with FB I refuse. I will never log onto anything with my FB ID. It's bad enough that I have the FB account. I don't need to spread my info around even more.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
That was my first thought also Kirk. Get out of the Big Banks if you have an account there. I got very frustrated with Big Banks last century and have been with smaller ones for the last 25+ years. Ludicrous. I do have a FB account. But whenever I get to a site and they offer for me to log on with FB I refuse. I will never log onto anything with my FB ID. It's bad enough that I have the FB account. I don't need to spread my info around even more.
:thumb::thumb:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Because all the Info. I gave Facebook is pure B.S..

I'm considering opting out and just keeping the messenger on my phone.
Both I downloaded from Google play store.
The regular messenger sucks and goes blank so I had to get messenger lite.
My phone must be not equipped to handle it tho I have very few apps.
If I try to log in on the lap top it's a pain in the ass because it doesn't look the same.
Bahh!

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I don't have anything to do with FB or any thing else. No Twit, Mess ... none of those things.
I have a second email (gmail) that I never look at or use. I'm going to tell the bank that I've changed to that. And I have a second phone # on a prepaid. They can have that, too.

My actual bank ( a small one) has been well behaved over the 20 years I've been there. This new credit union is offering to lower my interest rate in return for having an account or credit card or automatic payments. Uhhh, no thanks. Figure I'd get triple the irritating spam.

I do not consent to recieve any communication from a bank or it's friends unless it is directly related to my account !!!!! And I pay my bills on time so they have absolutely no reason to contact me !!

Can't tell this ticks me off, can you :)

Bamby

I have never had any doings with FB either but that doesn't mean that information you'd rather not make public knowledge doesn't end up posted there. I recently had some health issues to the point where I was found barely breathing on the basement floor. My sister and nephew (her son) found great delight in sharing my misfortune with the world on FB including photos of me on a respirator in a hospital room. Along with captions and their opinions of my political incorrect habits had me deserving of suffering and being there.

Their publicly posted opinions have the capability of screwing up the rest of my natural born life, and I'll never totally forgive them for their lack of digression concerning my privacy.