• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

America's Total Debt Report

daedong

I read somewhere today ( gone looking but cant find it now) that your national debt could threaten national security, by diminishing the ability of the military due to lack of funds.

ghautz

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I read somewhere today ( gone looking but cant find it now) that your national debt could threaten national security, by diminishing the ability of the military due to lack of funds.

Back in the dark ages, when I took Economics 101 in college, the prof taught us that a federal government could engage in deficit spending with no adverse consequences. I don't recall his reasoning; that was one of those things one memorized until after the test, then forgot because it was incomprehensible. Several later, I was told a deficit was bad news because that causes inflation. Now you tell me there are worse consequences.

I don't know whether it is relevant here, but I once read someone's opinion that you could lay all the economists end to end and they still wouldn't reach a conclusion.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't know whether it is relevant here, but I once read someone's opinion that you could lay all the economists end to end and they still wouldn't reach a conclusion.

:yum: :yum: Funny and True!!!! :D

I heard it said that it would actually be bad for our government to pay off our Debt. I do not understand why, or if there is any truth to it. Can you think of a reason where it would be bad to get rid of all our national debt?

jdwilson44

:yum: :yum: Funny and True!!!! :D

I heard it said that it would actually be bad for our government to pay off our Debt. I do not understand why, or if there is any truth to it. Can you think of a reason where it would be bad to get rid of all our national debt?

Use some common sense about this whole thing.

Do politicians lie? Yes.

Do politicians do things make themselves look better - especially if it is with somebody elses' money? Yes.

Is having debt generally a bad idea for you as a person? Yes.

Would you or I be able to get away with the excuse that paying off our debt is a bad idea? No.

Then why would you believe somebody who says it is bad to have the govt pay off our national debt? Remember who is telling you this - politicians, they lie.

Look at other countries - do they maintain huge amounts of debt like we do? Look at history - what has happened to people, companies, and nations who could not repay their debts?

Do the math - let me know if you still think it is good thing to have so much debt that each American citizen now owes something like $160,000 as his/her portion of the national debt.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Do the math - let me know if you still think it is good thing to have so much debt that each American citizen now owes something like $160,000 as his/her portion of the national debt.
I only skimmed the content of the site.

I saw it, but what exactly is that $160K? Is it a sum of average personal debt as well as a percentage of the national debt? What I found lacking on the site (and actually did searches on the page for) was "population". What population numbers are they using? 1950's or today?

RedRocker

Actually it's our democRat congress that diminishes our military. :shitHitFan:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Use some common sense about this whole thing.

Do politicians lie? Yes.

Do politicians do things make themselves look better - especially if it is with somebody elses' money? Yes.

Is having debt generally a bad idea for you as a person? Yes.

Would you or I be able to get away with the excuse that paying off our debt is a bad idea? No.

Then why would you believe somebody who says it is bad to have the govt pay off our national debt? Remember who is telling you this - politicians, they lie.

Look at other countries - do they maintain huge amounts of debt like we do? Look at history - what has happened to people, companies, and nations who could not repay their debts?

JD,
I didn't say I believe that having debt it a good thing. I was wondering if anyone else knew if there was any truth to it. I did not hear it from a politician, but from the man who built our house 10 years ago. He studied economics and government as a hobby. He told me stories about 'brown' money being printed up and ready to put into circulation at one time in our history. Things I never heard of before. I've no idea where he got his info. the internet was around by then, but I doubt that he had found it.