• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tire Flat Spot

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Every winter I keep telling myself I should lift my boat up on blocks to avoid flat spots on the tires. Well this has now gone on for 8 years and I still don't put the trailer up on blocks. Each year in the spring I have flat spots but have yet to learn I guess. But each year the flat spots disappear except this year. I have filled the tire with extra air, drove it around, took air out, drove around and I can't get that spot out. Anyone have any tricks out there or do I just buy a new tire. I always wanted a spare, I could buy two new ones and a rim and keep the one good one I have for a spare.

murph

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This is a new one to me. I never have put my boat trailer on blocks. I've never noticed the 'flat spot' either. Are you using the trailer tires?

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
You should have a spare anyway,so go ahead and get the new tires and wheel and if they aren't already, get radials.
As for the flat spot,I've never seen a tire get a permanent flat spot except when the brakes locked up and wore down a flat spot.
Mike

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
This is a new one to me. I never have put my boat trailer on blocks. I've never noticed the 'flat spot' either. Are you using the trailer tires?

I wonder if Murphs colder winter makes a difference?

Maybe your roads are crappier, and you don't notice the flat spot?

daedong

Murph, never had the problem so can't help much, but how much air pressure have you blown the tire up, what size tyres.
I would not hesitate putting 50 to 60 psi in for a short time (day or two).

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten

The tires that came with the trailer and boat. Tires if they sit for a long time will develope flat spots. Your suppose to take the weight off the tires every winter by putting the trailer on blocks.

daedong said:
Murph, never had the problem so can't help much, but how much air pressure have you blown the tire up, what size tyres.
I would not hesitate putting 50 to 60 psi in for a short time (day or two).

I put 55 psi in them and pulled the boat and trailer for about 60 miles and the spot would not come out.

murph

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I know trailer tires have more plys than regular car tires. I've heard that many times the sidewall of the trailer tire will wear out before the tread part of the tire does, sometimes caused by the UV rays of the sun.
I wonder if your sidewalls are simply wore out? Call a tire store tomorrow and get some insight from them.

Trakternut

Are they bias ply, or radials? Bias ply tires will develop flat spots from sitting. Radials will, too, but they "drive out" like yours have in the past. I'm wondering if something isn't gone awry with the belting of your tire and that's the reason for the flat spot.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I believe the tires are radials?? Can't look as the boat is in for an oil change and to fix a sensor. But they are close to ten years old and I know they don't have 1000 miles on them yet. I keep the boat at our cabin for the most part and the launch is only two blocks away. In fact I am thinking there maye only 500 miles on them. Thus the reason for no spare as of yet. But in case I would take it on a long trip such as go out and see Doc and his crew then I would have a spare if I get two new tires and a rim and keep the now good tire as a spare.

murph

Trakternut

With tires, it's not so much wear as it is age that gets tires. A brand new pair, mounted on a vehicle then left to sit, will go kaput long before their time.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
But in case I would take it on a long trip such as go out and see Doc and his crew then I would have a spare if I get two new tires and a rim and keep the now good tire as a spare.

murph

Kewl. We'll keep the light on for you buddy!!!! I like the way your thinking. Come on over for some fun on the Ohio (river). :D