• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I bought 2 cars new cars!

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Actually, I bought one of them from Germany about 4 months ago but it was just delivered on Friday. The other I picked up a couple of weeks ago. The MB replaces the Hyundai I lost when I sold my business and the green Scout (with a little work) will become my EMP vehicle.

car%2520027.JPG

car%2520029.JPG

car%2520042.JPG

car%2520060.JPG

car%2520067.JPG

car%2520068.JPG

car%2520070.JPG

car%2520069.JPG

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Love that Scout!!!! None left around here. They have long since rusted away. Did I say that I love that Scout!!!! :clap:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Got a couple of buddies with that vintage of scouts. One is the 345 engine the other a Nissan turbo diesel. Rode in the 345 powered one for 8 hrs once to S.D. to shoot prarrie dogs, and once was enough....:doh::ermm: At 75 mph loaded with us and rifles and gear it was a bit interesting. But it proved it's worth off road in the high butte hills we were in.

Like the wagon too, but I fear it's going to end up being the Mrs's after a little while. She'll occasionally allow you, with permision and advanced warning, to drive it for some purpose you will have to explain beforehand. You have my sympothies....:smile:

Regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
love them old scouts it's hard to find one with out the rear fenders rusted away also aftermarket bodys arn't available like jeeps. i would love to have one with the nissan diesel we don't have to go fast around here and the diesel has no ignition system to get wet when crossing water. the one draw back is the front end geomitry is screwy and they can be a handfull on washboard dirt roads

Kane

A Scout II with Florida tags. That explains the lack of rust.

Once had a '63 Scout. Basic nuts and bolts kinda' vehicles for sure. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
There's a guy around here who drives around in one of those Scouts.. complete with CB whip antenna.
The bumper is rusty and his new license tags aren't placed over the old ones.
He has them side by side along the bottom of the license plate.
Often wondered if that's legal.
He's elderly... see it parked at a local diner often.

rlk

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Squerly, I'm not up to speed on Mercedes or these new fangled cars, but where the heck is your gear shift?

Bob

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Squerly, I'm not up to speed on Mercedes or these new fangled cars, but where the heck is your gear shift?

Bob

Lol, yes it was a bit difficult for me to find too. There is a small shifter on the steering column with a button on the end. Lift the shifter up and your in reverse, press it down and your in drive, press the button on the end (with your foot on the brake) and the car goes into park. It seems weird at first but it's actually pretty slick once you get the hang of it. There are shift paddles on the steering column if you want to manually shift.

Do you mean that the Mercedes is a "grey market" car? I didn't think you could do that any more... ?
Not sure what a grey market car is, but I don't think the term applies here. I just ordered the car from the local dealer and had it built to my specs, and then shipped as part of the dealers allotment.

Got a couple of buddies with that vintage of scouts. One is the 345 engine the other a Nissan turbo diesel. Rode in the 345 powered one for 8 hrs once to S.D. to shoot prarrie dogs, and once was enough....:doh::ermm: At 75 mph loaded with us and rifles and gear it was a bit interesting. But it proved it's worth off road in the high butte hills we were in.

The front end sucks. It was quite an interesting ride home as I was afraid to go very fast for fear of loosing control of the car. On my list of things to do, the front end is at the very top. Then the brakes, then the exhaust.

Last edited:

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Grey market cars were popular in the 80s. You could buy a car in Europe and have it shipped here. Strong dollar back then lead to some good deals on "euro spec" cars equipped much different than the stock dealer stuff.

I thought the EPA put the kabosh on that, though. (the cars didn't meet us emission standards)

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
if you were to reverse the shackles on that scout it would make a world of difference as to how it handels but like a cj with those short heavyarched springs ride quality is still going to sufferbut it should improve the steering as long as everything is tight

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Take care of that benz to benz's maintenance guide and it will outlast you.
I am turning 300,000 on my DD either next weekend or next week.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Don hit the scout fix on the head. There is a pretty good following of scout nuts in NC. you should have no problem finding someone to tidy up the front end.

Corrected front housing will fix the caster ( actually give it some) about $400
Reverse shackle kit. (makes them ride very nice) $150-170

Of course you could drive it to SD and back and you will be a expert at anticepating tar cracks andwhat not in the road. (you get used to it)

Nice set of wheels ( both of them)

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Nice looking rigs squerly, but by the look in pic #4 (rear view mirror) only the Scout is yours to play with. :whistling: :yum: