• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thinking of building this

Glenn9643

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Vin, a couple of the pictures you posted this morning show the bottom of the boat and it doesn't look to be smooth like the sides. Appears to be some sort of spray-on coating? Will the rough surface affect the way the boat moves through the water?
I'm asking because I've never built a V-bottom but with the flat-bottom I did build, minor irregularities on the bottom caused big problems with handling the boat under power.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Glenn9643 said:
Vin, a couple of the pictures you posted this morning show the bottom of the boat and it doesn't look to be smooth like the sides. Appears to be some sort of spray-on coating? Will the rough surface affect the way the boat moves through the water?
I'm asking because I've never built a V-bottom but with the flat-bottom I did build, minor irregularities on the bottom caused big problems with handling the boat under power.
I believe that is the paint Vin was referring to in this thread.

edit:

Looking closer, it is actually the circles Vin was asking about in this thread.

Viking

Site Supporter
Wow...Vin, the boat looks great. I could not even fathom taking on this kind of project. I would be doing well lashing together a few logs to make a raft...

daedong

Glenn9643 said:

[FONT=&quot]The bottom is much smother than it looks, It is difficult to describe but I guess its is nearly as smooth as a sheet of printing paper. It was done with a well warn wire brush in an angle grinder. It is not symmetrical but looks ok. The reason I did this was to hide some of the welding tram tracks. I went to a boat show recently and all plate boats I looked at had welding tram tracks just like I had on the bottom. They appear to use some sort of grinder and scuff the bottom much more than I have. [/FONT]

Glenn9643

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the reply Vin.
The way the swirls reflected the light in the photo made the surface appear to be irregular, or not smooth. Looks like the boat is coming along in fine fashion!

Glenn

Bamby

Nice Job on your project. Was enjoying looking through your thread. If you are still around is there a update available.

Bamby

Looked at your site. Looks as if it came out looking real nice. Hope it handles and performs as well as it looks for you. There's a lot of satisfaction in rolling your own. That's also a nice houseboat project you had there also. If I were ever go abroad sometime Australia is the one place I'd love to see. And it would not be the cities I'd love to experience the outback of it.

Case you'd like to look my H.B. project http://s466.photobucket.com/albums/rr29/Bamby38/?albumview=slideshow