• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I want one!

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
Ok. I am driving myself nuts. I REALLY want a little camper to pull around and take the fam out to the lake and stuff. Heck a little pop up would work. Wifey and I have experience with those. She can explain that one :hide: Suppose I should look, but not sure she would bite on the idea. I mean we CAN camp in our horse trailer after all... What do you guys have? If it matters, I have a 3/4 ton with B&W turnover ball and access to the fifth wheel adapter for it.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
I use a tent.
OTOH, I saw a popup in the paper for about $1500 a couple weeks ago, that didn't sound bad.
you might also look into the "pickup bed tents" out on the market.
keeps you up off the ground, so no bugs.

or if you need a new project, once I get the house done, we could probably build you a camper shell for a flat bed trailer.

Gatorboy

I'm looking to buy an Aliner. They are light, sets up in less than a minute, hard-sided and doesn't need to be pulled by my crew cab, but instead can be pulled with our Odyssey. You can pop it up in a rest area for a quick nap, or to eat lunch/dinner.

Tenting is getting old. The time to pack up the vehicle, unload, setup the tent -- pray for no rain on the day you're leaving. Then unload everything when you get home. I was considering a pop-up, but they take 30-45 minutes to setup, not real quiet inside (it's really just a tent off the ground).

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm looking to buy an Aliner. They are light, sets up in less than a minute, hard-sided and doesn't need to be pulled by my crew cab, but instead can be pulled with our Odyssey. You can pop it up in a rest area for a quick nap, or to eat lunch/dinner.

A co-worker of mine used to frequently tow his pop-up with his Oddysey before upgrading to a bigger trailer and a bigger vehicle. He put an air bag kit in the rear suspension, and said it was a pretty decent tow vehicle after that.

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
I had thought about the pickup bed thing. I may look into that too. Tents on the ground where the spiders are is NOT and option for SWMBO. I do have access to an axle one could be built on though. That would be kinda fun.... So many ideas....

redragtop

The first two questions would be how much money do you want to spend and how many people do you want it to sleep? I wanted a cheap $ trailer with lots of room it took me two years to find this one on ebay. Was worth the trip to TN to pick it up! The cost of the trailer & fuel was $7400.00. It is a 3 horse slant that can be converted to a toy hauler & 19 ft of living space in the front.

Attachments

• Image00014.jpg
    Image00014.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 278

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
A legit question: Can you ever get the smell of horse out of a horse trailer?
Bone

:yum::yum: To some people it does not matter.....

Honestly, I have no clue. I have never tried. My guess is that, yes you can with a good pressure wash job and a good airing out.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
A legit question: Can you ever get the smell of horse out of a horse trailer?
Bone

Once it is dried horse shit has almost no smell.

Of course, an Indian friend of mine couldn't figure out why I thought his house smelled funny, so I guess you just get used to it.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter

What is the pricing on the Aliner?

ghautz

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
We went from tent, to a lightweight tent trailer that I rebuilt, to a couple of pop-ups and are now back to a tent. The pop-ups were nice, but a bit too heavy for our tow vehicle. Now our camping vehicle is a 4-banger Suzuki, so nearly all commercially available camping trailers are out of the question. Here are a couple we have looked at:

http://www.jumpingjacktrailers.com/
http://www.livinlite.com/

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter
We went from tent, to a lightweight tent trailer that I rebuilt, to a couple of pop-ups and are now back to a tent. The pop-ups were nice, but a bit too heavy for our tow vehicle. Now our camping vehicle is a 4-banger Suzuki, so nearly all commercially available camping trailers are out of the question. Here are a couple we have looked at:

http://www.jumpingjacktrailers.com/
http://www.livinlite.com/

I had a 4 banger suzuki for years... I towed with it, and it pulled really well.

ghautz

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I had a 4 banger suzuki for years... I towed with it, and it pulled really well.

What kind of weight did you pull? Mine is a '98 Sidekick Sport with the "big" 1.8 liter, DOHC engine. It can barely get out of its own way in heavy traffic. I would be leery of trying to pull much more that 800 pounds or thereabouts. I'm not sure the brakes would be up to stopping much more than that, either.

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter
What kind of weight did you pull? Mine is a '98 Sidekick Sport with the "big" 1.8 liter, DOHC engine. It can barely get out of its own way in heavy traffic. I would be leery of trying to pull much more that 800 pounds or thereabouts. I'm not sure the brakes would be up to stopping much more than that, either.

Had a 97 2 door sidekick JX with a 1.6L sohc and a 5 speed. I have towed an honest 200 lbs through the mountains with it with no trouble. I had 15 inch wheels, and the brakes were big enough that the just fit inside the wheels. sold it at 120,000 miles and it still ran like a sewing machine. It was just rustier than i wanted it to be by then.

ghautz

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I assume you meant 2000 pounds. You are a braver man than I.

When I was shopping for mine I wanted a 2 door. Looks like an ideal size for running the back roads. I think the CFO was happy I got the 4 door. That meant we could take it on trips and she wouldn't have to put up with dog hair in her truck.

I see you are back east. Rust is not a problem here. Mine has about 113k miles, with no sign of rust. It was originally registered in S Dakota, then brought here about 3-4 years ago. I think a snowbird owned it and towed it down here behind a motorhouse for the winters.

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter
Yes I meant 2000lbs. Thanks. I have towed two round bales of hay with it many times without incident. Man that truck would stop on a dime! and it would pull hard when I wanted it to. If yours does not stop well, service the brakes. I am sure that mine were oversized for the vehicle. I would still own it if it hadn't rusted so badly.