• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1997 kawasaki jet ski

juice410

I am going to attempt to get a 1997 kawasaki jet ski running after sitting for over two years. My first question is this: Does this machine have fuel injection? Does it have carburetors? What needs to be done before attempting to start the engine. I thought I would need to remove and clean the carburetors. I still have not seen the jet ski in person and I just want to know what I am up against. I have worked on several motorcycles and I am confident I should be able to get this thing to run again. Any suggestions and help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks juice410

Kane

If the ski was left to sit idle that long with fuel in the tank, removing and cleaning the carbs is probably mandatory. Wouldn't even bother trying to start the thing. But if you know bikes, you shouldn't have a problem tinkering with a jet ski.

If you are going to buy, tho, I would suggest checking compression in both cylinders before you do. Check the specs, of course, but both cylinders should read very much the same psi (dbl. check me, but for a small two stroke engine you would want a solid 90-100psi in both cylinders). If not, pass on the purchase (unless you have the time and know how to rebuild the cylinder heads). Expensive, even DYI.

PS: also check the condition of the impeller.

BRGTold

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
PS: also check the condition of the impeller. ...Ya good idea.!!..My buddy bought one that had been run into a sand bar..Engine sounded great..but impeller was trash..Pretty big chunk of change$$....

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think you will find a set of round slide Mikuni's in there, easy to tear down and de gunk. Usually the floats are stuck on the pins they slide on, and the jets will need removed and the orafices cleaned up, as well. Not a big deal. Fresah gas ans oild should finish it up just fine.

Regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i do this stuff all the time just got my bombie traxter running after sitting 8 plus years i just filled up the tank and started it to see how it ran you have to remember that your pump has to be in water to run or you will take out the seals and the engine is also liquid cooled you want to make shure that the oil injection system is working and a little mixed gas to re start it won't hurt any thing either other thn maybe a fouled plug

juice410

Thank-you to all that responded to my questions about the '97 jet ski. I have not seen the engine yet. I do not know what model or engine size it is until I get it uncovered and actually look at what I have. I am not the owner. I am just going to try and get the thing started for some cash. Can anyone tell me if this jet ski has two or three cylinders and does it have carburetors or fuel injection or both. I have seen pictures of the carbs for a kawasaki on ebay. Do these carbs have floats? I have cleaned and rebuilt many motorcycle carbs and if it is similar to a motorcyce carb I beleive I can do this job. Any other advice on what I should look at to get her running again?
Thanks juice410

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i would still suggest a start up see if it runs before putting a lot of time into it also you must remember that all moderen 2 cycle motors have nicklesill cylinder walls which is a hard plating on the walls and unlike the old steel liners if you cet any corosion under the plating in short order the plating will peal with operation and lock up the engine.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
It has two cylinders, and two carberators, and they will be Mikuni's, ever heard of them?

Check for spark first, if the CDI box is toast there will be none. $$$ for that. They are engine specific too. If you have spark on both plugs proceed...

It will have oil injection. Put it in the water like dds said and spritz a bit of 40:1 gas/oil mix in the carbs. Start it up and see if it will run as is. If it tries to run but won't, then take the carbs down, as they are the problem. If it won't even try could be lack of compression due to head gasket or piston ring seal is gone. If the chrome bores are trash, it might make a parts unit...

Hope this gives you some idea of how to check it out and get it running...:whistling:

Kirk