• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Boating in the Muskingum River

Bamby

Thought I'd start a thread on this and see where it goes. I see Doc has a Houseboat and it's kept at Marietta, Oh. and a member of a boat club there. Nice area around there and want to make the trip down sometime. Unfortunately the only time we cruised the entire river a lock was down and had to start at Beverly and went on up to Zanesville till it got to shallow to go any father up. The most pleasant trip we ever took on our boat. It was so enjoyable that we returned to a boat club near Zanesville the next spring and joined. It's been a wonderful ride and we have not regreted becoming a part of that community. We spend a lot of time at a sandbar just south of the Philo Lock. It's like a community there with a lot of friendly interesting people. And of course it's also a big party that requires no formal invitation. Don't know if anyone on here boats on the Muskingum also. But if you don't and live in the area it should be on your short list of new places to visit.

Gregg

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
When I was houseboat shopping I visited one of the Zanesville boat clubs. Very nice water up there. I was looking at a Kingscraft 43 ftr. Very nice boat. It made the cover of a boating magazine a few years ago.
I had a friend who had a paddle wheel boat (the Norma Jean) and I thought they came all the way to the Ohio from close to Zanesville. They would talk of having to call ahead telling the lock master they were coming and needed to lock through. Many times they would see the same guy going from one lock to another to meet them.
Have you made it to the Marietta Sternwheeler party? It is a blast. The best fireworks of the year are at that party.
I'm curious, how did you hear of Forums Forums?

edit to add:
We will stop at House of Wine restaurant on the Muskingum a few times a year most years. For some reason they didn't put their docks in this past season.

Bamby

Our first trip was on Labor day weekend in 2004. We had just purchesed a Odyssey pontoon boat that year. Matter of fact we took delivery of it that 4th of July weekend that year. We pulled and floated nearly all the waters around area that summer. But of all the areas we visited we fell in love with the Muskingum. The people there were so friendly and made us welcome though we knew no one at all. We've also floated on the Ohio River around Wheeling but did'nt feel accepted there. And all the views of commercial junk and debris pushed on the riverbanks was not pretty eather. But the Ohio below New Martinsville to St. Marys is a nice pool for the senery and having places to beach the boat. Always enjoyed going there for the view. But never had the comredery of such as friendly group as we've had on the Muskingum. Another big plus is there are no barges and commercial traffic there to deal with.
I've also have a houseboat in my stable now. It's a 72 crest that is totally rebuilt and nearly completed. I'm not sure this is allowed here or not but here's a link to our boat: http://www.pontoonstuff.com/forum/pontoon-forum/2916-10-my-p-111-nto-111-n.asp?PN=2

Bamby

It ate my edit so I'll add this post. The above boat is nearly complete and we hope to be using it this spring. Then we won't have to worry about making the locks before they close. And we can sit back and really enjoy the river.
As far as finding this forum I can't recall where I encountered the link. But I'm sure it was the your boating forum and ended up here. I've been doing a lot of research on boating on the net lately.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What a project Gregg. Nice work. I'll keep an eye out for your boat on the Ohio. We cruise the Ohio near St. Marys a couple times a year. Lots of Islands to have fun on. :thumb:

FF member from Australia Daedong (aka Vin) visited the states this fall. He came to our spot on the Ohio River, saw our Houseboat and commented we make them small over here (Gibson 14 x 50). Over in Australia most of their houseboats are built on pontoons but 20+ ft wide. :eek: Plus he said they sit higher (because of the bigger pontoons I suppose).

Here is a link to the thread from our first FF houseboat party. The last page of that thread has lots of pics of our houseboat.
http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=20379

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The reason I asked how you heard of FF is that I have a few cars in the general area wearing the ForumsForums.com license plate frames. I thought you might be one of our first recruits that joined because of the license plate frame.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
All boat clubs we have visited have been extremely friendly. All along the Ohio, from Wheeling to Cincinnati and beyond. They welcome you with open arms. Some have lent us a car to go out to dinner or pick up supplies. Help with gassing up or anything else we need assistance with. Sounds like your club in Zanesville is much the same. The water up there was extra nice and with no barges to deal with that would sure help. Plus you don't have the stronger current to deal with. Another big plus.
Boy, I sure wish gas were cheap this summer like it is now ($1.75 a gallon) ...by summertime it will probably be back up over 3 bucks a gallon. :pat:
Did you get the title an all straightened out with your boat? What a headache that sounded like. :eek:

Bamby

The motor issue is still up in the air. Though I have to admit that we have been off on other things lately and haven't pursued it. As far as that goes we shouldn't have to. And then there is the other issue about boats here its B.O.A. thousand or two. Yea we need the controls and etc. to run from motor to console and they ain't cheap. But the bright side I guess is I've got a few months before the boat will do me any good anyway. Buy the way I live just outside Wheeling so I guess we are sort of neighbors.
Gregg

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Funny but true. I had heard boats were a bottomless hole in the water that you constantly dump money into ...then during one of my major repairs last year someone asked if I knew what BOAT stood for ..... Break Out Another Thousand. :yum: Ya have to laugh about it cause it doesn't do any good to cry. :D

We also visit the Cablela's up your way on occasion. Last time we were up there Brad Paisley and Sugarland were playing at some big ole concert.

Bamby

Looked at your thread about your boat, appears everybody was having a real good time. Have to question weather anyone was tober or not. Looks like it's laid real nice with a lot of fine features. When we were looking to buy I insisted on a pontoon houseboat for my use. The reason being is I'm capable of doing everything myself. It's 8' wide so it can be legally towed should I chose to visit a different pond. If something should happen and I need to pull it out for repairs that's doable to. Also should it rain a lot or anything I don't have to worry about a bilge pump failing for any reason. I've found it far less aggravating in life if I can remain as self sufficient as possible about everything I can control. Should something happen on a Sunday afternoon and I need my boat out of the water A.S.A.P. it's nice to know it's a do it yourself project even 30 miles down the river. To me all of this is peace of mind.
Actually I live just few miles from Cabela's can see the water tower from my house. My favorite part is there aquarium for it's well done.
Gregg