• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

SW64 Question #4

W30bob

Hi Guys,

This may be a two part question, depending on the answer. How was the fuel line originally mounted in the SW's with the Chrysler Industrial 251 flathead six? My mechanical pump is still on the engine, but has been bypassed with an electric pump....and I'd like to get it back to the original configuration. I've rebuilt the mechanical pump and now just need to know how to plumb it. I would assume that originally there was a hard line from the tank that ran down the right side of the hull (with the hydraulic and coolant hoses) to about the midpoint of the machine, where it connected to a flexible rubber line and did a 90 degree turn and crossed over the bellhousing to the left side of the machine. Then it did another 90 and connected to a second hard line that ran back to the fuel pump. But that's just a guess based on how I'd do it and I don't see any provisions or clips to secure a hard line anywhere. In the J5 manual one illustration seems to show a hard line coming from the fuel pump inlet that is clamped to the engine near the top of the oil pan rail, but then the pic gets busy and you can't see where the fuel line goes when it gets near the bellhousing. I don't see any clip for a line on that side of the engine, but it could have been removed. Or maybe the entire fuel line was rubber hose and not hard line at all. Or maybe the fuel line ran all the way down the right side and then crossed under the oil pan and then up to the pump??? Any insight would surely be appreciated.

The second part of this question is..........what is the clip for on the top of the bellhousing that I have circled in the pic below? Could this be where the rubber flexible fuel line crossed over from the right side to the left side? It seems to be pointed in the wrong direction for that, but it could have been moved. It seems to be too small to hold either a coolant or hydraulic hose (and a fuel hose would be smaller). If not, what is this clip supposed to hold to the bellhousing?

thanks,
bob

Attachments

• Forum4.jpg
    Forum4.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 168

W30bob

Ok, from the parts manual I now have my grimey hands on.........that bracket is indeed for the fuel hose. These machines used a single rubber hose from the sender all the way to the fuel pump on the engine. Per the manual there should be one more bracket similar to this one on the engine somewhere as well (that I need to find), and judging by the direction the bracket in the pic is facing it appears the fuel hose runs all the way down the right side of the machine and then must cross underneath the engine at some point adjacent to the pump. Need to go look for that other bracket.

:bolt:

later,
bob