• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

vw alternator conversion

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
looking for info on a alternator conversion my generator took a dump tonight cip has a kit reasonably priced but its made in china i have found several bosch kits for a little more money i know some of you guys have done this wich kits did you go with have to admit i think you get what you pay for if you buy bosch

Albertan

Well Im not commenting cause i know, but i ordered the one from cip and just got it in the other day (non-bosch) so i will find out fairly soon i guess. I'll probly take a look at puttin it together today, we'll see how it goes.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The last couple I insttalled required a special Pedistal, but I think they were the Bosch units. They also required some grinding to accomodate the carb. There's an adapter that lifts the carb about 3/8 of an inch up and to the left. You may want that too.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
mine came with the new pedistal and new backing plates there were no instructions as to how every thing goes to gether so it was some what of a puzzle most challenging was how to get the old breather / filler cap assembly off off the old pedistal after some de greasing i found a spanne nut down the inside the breather wasn't real tight so i was able to make due with a good fitting screw driver to remove and re install it also i'm not knocking the kits sold by cip. you do get a new belt with theirs and i had to wait till the local auto parts store re opened to get a rubber belt that fit properly if you live in canada or the CONUS. where ups is reasonable than there might be a reasonable savings any savings was a wash when you figured in usps shipping vs ups to nome ak. wich made the bosch kiit the same price as the one built in the south pacific

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
also i don't think the bosch road side warnty will be any good between here and white mountain.