• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

CIGARS FROM CUBA????????????

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
So Obama is normalizing relations with Cuba.

How soon can I get some Monte Cristo from Havana, legally?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well if you have someone who travels down there they can bring back $100 worth of them, which should buy you about 4, maybe 5 of them.

But as for a cigar shop being able to buy boxes of them wholesale and then you buying them commonly at retail, that may take quite a while for that to happen, if ever.

President Obama as the authority to dictate foreign policy but he does not have the authority to alter the embargo, which was not only passed by Congress and signed into law, but was actually strengthened by congress and then again signed into law. Most members of the GOP oppose the actions of the President today and quite a few members of the Democratic party also oppose his actions. It is very unlikely that the next congress will even consider bringing up a repeal of the trade embargo. Now the President can allow some sorts of trade, especially on humanitarian/medical grounds, but I don't think that a box of Cohiba, Monte or RyJ will qualify for humanitarian trade.

So the odds of you buying Cubans legally any time soon? Not so good.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Well if you have someone who travels down there they can bring back $100 worth of them, which should buy you about 4, maybe 5 of them.
I'm headed back to the Dominican Republic this Winter, and will again bring back my limit of Dominican cigars right from the factory. I really enjoyed them. I've had Cubans in the Caribbean, and didn't find them extraordinary. I guess my palette lacks any level of sophistication when it comes to cigars. JMHO

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I can get cuban cigars anytime up here.

Yup. Lots of countries but not here in the US. But they are expensive in all countries and if the laws of SUPPLY v DEMAND hold true, if the US market opens up then the prices will rise everywhere.

Me, I will occasionally smoke them, and sometimes love them. But they are so damn strong in nicotine that I often have a hard time enjoying the whole cigar. I love the smoothness and the flavor, but not the nicotine. JMO

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Ah!!! The good old days.

When I worked in Equatorial Guinea, the government received financial aid from Cuba in the form of .... CIGARS. You could walk into a government supplied grocery store and the shelves were basically empty but there were Cuban cigars stacked to the ceiling. Initially they sold for $2 a box but the ex-pats drove the price up to $12 a box. I don't know how long they had been there but they had to go into the humidor for a long time before they could be smoked. To be honest, I smoked my fair share of them but, as a whole, I wasn't overly impressed.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
OK, so why can't I buy a box of cheap $1 sticks of the right size from Thompson, bring the box with me on vacation and declare them. Then buy a box of Monte Cristo Havana, pull the bands and the celophane and onto the MCs, Throw away the crap, and still have a box of "$1 Thompson" when I re-enter?