• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Looking for a new welder....

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
My cheapie buzz box has done well, its 2 years old, and I'm thinking about getting a replacement.

I went down to the welding shop today and asked about stick welders. Got shown a few things.

Once I had stopped drooling over the diesel trailer mounted MIG, and the various other machines that are probably more expensive than a new car I spotted what I was looking for.

Anyway, he showed me a 120A arc, which is exactly what I was looking for. Asked if I wanted to burn a few rods to try it in, but I didnt have time.
Here is the unit.

He metioned the price of £250+VAT (£300), which is maybe a little more that I was hoping for, but about right.

Any thoughts on it?
I was quite impressed by how small and light the unit was, 10x4x8", and weighs 8lb. I thought he was joking when he said it comes with a backpack to put it, but it actually does :yum: The fact that the shop is just down the road is good too, and I know that they look after their customers

When I come across any more units I'll add to this.....

Last edited:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Re: New welder....

Cool Mith. Congrats. :thumb:
I'm still saving up for a welder. With all the unexpected expenses (and some planned ones) here lately it'll be a few months at least before I can get one. :(

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Doc, I made it a little unclear in my post, I havent actually bought one yet, just looking for opinions on that one (and any other that I find)

I can highly recommend a cheapie buzz box. They are dead cheap and seem to last well. There really is no need to get a $x000 machine first time out IMO.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
With them being right down the road from you that would be a big plus in my book.

What are you calling a 'buzz box' and approx how much do they cost?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc, in my amature welding mind, a buzzbox is a tombstone type stick welder. Not really pretty welds since they often throw more spatter than a MIG or TIG, but plenty capable of making strong welds on thick material at a low (relative to MIG or TIG) price.

Mith, I would agree with Doc in that if they are down the road, that is a nice bonus for potential future support needs. BTW, the VAT is a killer! £50 on a £250 purchase. YIKES! Maybe you guys need to throw a tea party in one of your harbors?

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Doc, ebay
$50, and you'll be welding. Even if you outgrow it in a year it'll be 50 well spent. I've been running the 130A version of one of those for 2 years, all the projects I have done have been done with it. It aint glamous (and people think you are joking when you tell them all you have is a buzzer) but it works a beaut!
You can lay as nice welds as a MIG, but nothing lays as nice as a TIG. You can cook steel up to 1/4" with that in one shot. Anything bigger and you'll need to shake hands with the grinder then hit it with a couple passes.

A big plus in my book being just down the road. They have a big workshop with machines ranging from the 120A arc I said about, right up to the diesel MIGs, and also big water cooled TIGs. I know a good couple people who have dealt with them, and they give great after-sales.

Bob, VAT is what kills you. Its 17.5% of the purchace price. Whenever you buy something you ask if it is plus or including. If its plus, that great deal you just spent ages negotiating becomes a whole load less great :(
VAT is the reason I cant afford to buy a new tractor to cut the grass.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Mith. Good info. I just might pick up one of those. :thumb:

daedong

[FONT=&quot]Jim looks like a neat little welder; being so light it would be very convenient. It has some great functions that buss boxes don’t have so I think it would be a handy little welder. Go for it I reckon.[/FONT]

ALLEN PARSONS

I would go a 240V MIG. the deference is like night and day. I have used a cheep stick but the work has to very clean for it to be done right Or it will look like bubble gum. After you use a good welder , you will be be welding everthing togethere, Even a 120V mig is borderline, maby ok for very small jobs. but that is it, I have been welding for the last 30 years, And if you go cheep that will the type of weld you get.

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Allen, I agree that a really small MIG isnt worth a huge amount. The cheap arcs work just like a big arc, but the power and duty cycle is limited. The weld isnt quite as clean, and vert welds take more work. That said, amps for amps it will do practically the same work as a big welder IMO. Obviously, you get what you pay for.

Bob, yes, 240V is the standard amount. 110V is only used for worksite work, 400V for industrial. The welder is 240V, though he did mention a 110V option (no good for me, the shop is 240V).

ALLEN PARSONS

The shop been 240V is great. Because now you can get a welder that will do the job right. And draw half the juice that a 120V unit would on the same weld. I myself like the mig, because it is so eaze to use.

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Allen, MIG is no good to me, I cant justify the expense of the gas. And the cost of a machine big enough to effectively weld 1/4-3/8" material is relatively high.

I got some more specs and prices today. It looks like the TP 1500 is within my pricerange, and that also does DC TIG (which isnt any use to me right now, but might be in the future). The specs are also obviosly better, it will weld at 100 amps with a duty cycle of 100% which is pretty neat really. The TP 1200 will only do about 75 amps at 100%.

I attached a photo of the spec sheet. The 1200 is £293 inc VAT, and the 1500 is £340 inc VAT. (Both those prices are well below the RRP)

Is the DC Tig (and added power and duty cycle) worth the extra £50? I understand DC TIG is only good for steel welding, is that so? Any issues you see with either of the machines (featuers lacking etc?)

Thanks

Attachments

• DSCF0882 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF0882 (Medium).JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCF0884 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF0884 (Medium).JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 45

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
After cost of buying gas bottle,flux cored wire is a lot more expensive than solid wire.I have a Miller 175 amp,240v mig I use for almost everything indoors. A wire welder is a "mig" only when used w/ gas,w/ flux core it is just a wire feed welder. A mig can be used outdoors if there is no breeze blowing as this will blow gas envelope away from arc. Anything over 3/16" I "vee" out to weld w/ mig,since it doesn't get good penetration like a stick.
As for tig,it can also weld stainless or alum. It will also require gas,pure argon for alum.,I believe.Haven't had any experience w/ tig,but would like to get one just to learn how.
Have you checked Clarke mig,wire feed and stick machines. I believe they are made in the UK.
Mike

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Mike, MIG really isnt for me, 90% of my welding is outside, the gas or flux wire is too expensive, it doesnt have the power I want.....

The TIG on the machine I posted about above is DC only, so it will only TIG steel, and yes it'll need the gas. I'm really thinking to the far future with getting a DC TIG machine, I'll only be using stick for a good couple years.

The clarke machines are slightly more expensive it seems. I'm not too conviced they are all that great quality either.