• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

hauling a big orange

does anyone have a suggestion? - I need a 1344 Tucker hauled from North Dakota to SE BC - so far the quotes I've been getting from Uship seem out of line - I've had much cheaper quotes to haul similar items from Alaska or Quebec - I don't want to be cheap about things, but I don't want to be hosed either

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
keep watching u ship they will go down mine dropped from 4 grand to under 1k but I couldn't make the time frame for the cheap one .I settled for a reputable trucking company looking for a back haul and only cost me 1300 I think I may have got a better driver that way to.

thanks - that's similar to what I'm facing - a haul that should be $1500 - $2000 is being tendered at just under $4000

Here's a suggestion: Call Doug at D&P Trucking in South Dakota 605-201-0657 and tell him Mike Smith sent you. I hired him to haul my vintage Tucker 443 from near Sturgis, SD to Idaho. Doug's costs are reasonable and he is trustworthy!

seems strange that I haven't been able to find a trucker, so far, that's willing to haul my 1344 Tucker for anywhere near $2 per mile from North Dakota to south east BC (1000 miles), most wanting well over $3 per mile, some want almost $4 - I hear stories of $1 per mile rates, but I know I'm dreaming when I think about getting that kind of rate, although I know I could haul it myself for that much and pay for motels and food as well - anyone have contacts that might be interested in hauling my new big orange for a price that makes sense?

drscotch

I wonder if you're seeing increased rates due to the border crossing. My experience is that people often don't want to deal with the potential issues at the border and either refuse to ship or jack their rates. The truth is if you don't have your paperwork 100% in order it can be a massive hassle.
Have you considered trying to find a Canadian trucker for a back-haul?

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
did you pm Mike Sieg sounded like he was up for a vacation
don't feel so bad I got my Thiokol moved pretty cheap from ca to seattle but the second leg cost almost 6 grand to move from seattle to western Alaska that was with the good buddy discount

I did phone Mike. Don, even offered to pick the cat up on the other side of the border because of the difficulty he has crossing it - it still came in at about $3.75 - I have it listed on Uship Drsctoch - lots of Canadian truckers there - the bids have been gradually getting lower, with the latest bid fractionally under $3

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I understand sometimes that can be the price of living in paradise. I did find some routs have more back haul truckers than others the first 2100 I looked at was in wisconson .I just couldn't make shipping work cross country than I found the one in ca it seems a lot better for me if I can find something west of the rookies for shipping.

sledhead Ed

GOLD Site Supporter
I had the same problem as far as cost when I got my tucker kitten hauled from Montana to Massachusetts. $3300.00 to $3800. And they wanted it crated. Even uship was a big hassle. It took me over a month to find a very reasonable deal. I just keep searching and calling different places. Found a private deal the person bought a gmc 5500 in Oregon and hauled it back to my door for $1300 he was coming to Connecticut anyways with some other stuff. Alot of b.s. and thought the person I bought it off was going to be pissed He understood. It was getting to the point I thought I was going to have to make the 5400 mile round trip myself. Keep on trying uship a few more times if your not in a huge rush.

I'm not giving up on Uship and I'm still making calls to a variety of people - I'm lucky that between my son and I, I have the equipment in my yard to haul it myself - I begrudge the 4 - 5 days it's going to take me though - although if I can save a couple $thou, it's damn good wages

hauling worked out to $1.95 US ( $2.45 CAD ) - not as good as I'd hoped, but better than I had started to believe it was going to cost - the trucker isn't set up to cross the border, so I had to get a local truck to pick it up on the other side of the border and bring it the last 35 miles - with the rules the US has in place now, I had to hire a broker to deal with the bureaucracy - that was another $125 US - the only thing the Canadian side is interested in is collecting the sales tax - lol