• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

ISO shipping containers?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm thinking of using some ISO shipping containers for temporary storage of equipment. If I do this I'd need a couple of them, preferably 40' or longer.

Does anyone know of a source for these in the midwest? I'd be looking for used/surplus containers, not new units.

Attachments

• big1.jpg
    big1.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 94

mak2

I know a guy who bought an old semi about 20 years ago. dug a hole for the wheels and dorve it into the hole. Just the trailer of course. Filled it in. Now it sits level, he has painted it a couple of times but does not leak and makes a heck of a storage shed.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm looking for the ocean going type containers. They are available cheap on both coasts, but I'm looking for some in the midwest, perferably the great lakes region since shipping will cost as much as an empty container I want to find something close to minimize shipping costs.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Bob...I'd have to think there are shipping companies around the Lake Calumet area.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks guys, I guess when I did my Google search I must have been either too specific or not specific enough :confused2:

AndyM

Charter Member
daedong said:

http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=5369
daedong said:

Vin,
I think Bob needs to hire you as his Assistant Purchasing Manager...
You're half way around the world, but you've managed to find things for him in his area twice lately! :thumb:
How do you feel about commuting every date? :17875:

Last edited:

daedong

[FONT=&quot]I am sure I would not need to commute every day and I am sure Bob wouldn’t mind me staying with him until I find somewhere to live. Any chance of a job for my wife Bob?[/FONT]

Gatorboy

If you lived near a port city (like Baltimore) you could find them easily. Used 40-footers run about $1350-$1600. If you want one that was only used 1-time, it costs about $3200

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Gatorboy said:
If you lived near a port city (like Baltimore) you could find them easily.
Do you even need to live near a port?

I thought a lot of them end up on trains when they come out of port. Once they've reached their destination and unloaded, I would expect a lot of them to end up in Chicago as it's a major hub for the mid-West for being put back on rail to send to the coasts.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Do you even need to live near a port?
From what I can tell living near a port helps a lot. Fortunately I do. We have 2 major international ports here on the south end of Lake Michigan (Lake Calumet & Burns Harbor). Probably the next cheapest place to get them would be near a major transportation rail hub?