• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

need info in my j65

duckscarfer

Im trying to find out history of my j65. I was told it may have been used by the us army. I was told it is a j5 bombardier but the model number on the id plate says j65 anyone know? I can get the serial number also if that helps. Thanks

northeastheavy

The id numbers on J5's are hard to read. I had what I thought was a J8 and needed a magnifing glass to see it was a J5!! Could that J6 be a J5?? Photo sure looks like a J5. Take a real close look.

duckscarfer

The tag says it was built in 1965. Picture of the machine is already posted here. I can get a picture of id tag in a few days and will post it asap. I have been able to track down some pictures on the internet of my very machine pulling some sort of military mobile command office.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
The tag says it was built in 1965. Picture of the machine is already posted here. I can get a picture of id tag in a few days and will post it asap. I have been able to track down some pictures on the internet of my very machine pulling some sort of military mobile command office.

That machine was owned by me and that was my amy mobile unit it was previously
owned by a guy that had a bunch of military vehicles and he had it green.
Previous to that it was used by the Minnesota DNR to fight fires and had tanks mounted on it with a gas pump.

duckscarfer

Thanks for the reply. So was this machine ever used by the military? Is it a rare machine? Is it a j5 or a j65? Do you have any old pictures of it? What's it worth? And last of all am I crazy for wanting to cut it up and change/improve the suspension and drop a chevy small block in it or is it worth more original. If its worth restoring it to original that's what I will do. It runs and drives perfect now. Also do you know any repair history on it. Thanks

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the reply. So was this machine ever used by the military? Is it a rare machine? Is it a j5 or a j65? Do you have any old pictures of it? What's it worth? And last of all am I crazy for wanting to cut it up and change/improve the suspension and drop a chevy small block in it or is it worth more original. If its worth restoring it to original that's what I will do. It runs and drives perfect now. Also do you know any repair history on it. Thanks

No never military,only painted that way. Wheel seals bearings and one tire we redid
we put new steering bands in it. It was bought new by the DNR in 1965 if I recall the
manifold was custom made on 251 Chrysler industrial. When the old one gave out.

duckscarfer

Yep it has a custom stainless steal exhust manifold and intake. So what do you think about the V8 idea. What's it worth? And is it a j65 or a j5 and is it a rare machine

aulen2002

It's a J5. Some ID plates were stamped with J followed by the year (seen a few threads on here about them).

I wouldn't modify the suspension/drivetrain if it's in good shape and a runner!

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Yep it has a custom stainless steal exhust manifold and intake. So what do you think about the V8 idea. What's it worth? And is it a j65 or a j5 and is it a rare machine

I Would not put a V8 in it. Jmo
worth? well all in the eye of the beholder but we have sold 4-5 in the last year for around 4- 5K a little more with blade and cab they are not considered rare yet
that one had a cab a small one?

duckscarfer

Is there a reason why not a v-8 do they have weak diffs if all its worth is about 4-5 k then I don't have much heartburn about cutting it up to make a hot rod out of it. I just didn't want to cut up a rare bird. I plan to give it air ride suspension and more travel. I also want to stretch the cab out to make room
For passengers. I want muddbogg it so that's the reason for the v-8. And last of all maybe/maybe removeable flotation pontoons. (I know im crazy right)

northeastheavy

I talked to a guy who put a 350 in a j5!!! All he would say is "you do NOT want to hit the gas too hard". Just too much power!!!! I also think the differential can only take around 200hp????

duckscarfer

I met a guy that put a 700hp motor in his with no problems except for breaking track fleets. I only plan to put about 250 to 300 hp in mine. Check out his videos on youtube just type in crusher build also type in bombardier j5 and you will see a sdp vw turbo charged j5 with over 500hp in it. Pretty impressive.