• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow Trac replacement BRONZE drive sprockets

Sno-Surfer

Be a bit patient about these sprockets from Norway. There is "movement" going on behind the scenes happening, and they may become available in the future, perhaps the near future.

Also in Wisconsin there will perhaps be some made up to...

We all need to get on the "same page" so to say to make this happen.

Regards, Kirk

I know we have some folks working on this too and I'm glad we may have more than one option. Thank you all for putting the effort into these. I just keep raising my hand and waving it around when I hear of some available.
Thanks all and just let me know when and where to send the check!
We just got hammered with some snow in the upper elevations.

willd

Just checking in to see how things are going with this project. Can't wait to see what you guys get going.

teledawg

Just checking in to see how things are going with this project. Can't wait to see what you guys get going.

The design for the UHMW plastic ones is done and off to the plastics CNC shop for a quote. Here is the 3D CAD rendering of the design:

Attachments

• MG_7267.jpg
    MG_7267.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 656
  • MG_6331.jpg
    MG_6331.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 661

willd

What kind of life expectancy do you see possible from UHMW? I know the stuff is super tough but I would like to use my cat in the sand too.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Jim VT has a photo of the of the high hour plastic sprockets on my machine.. I have had that machine for 4-6 years. and it was run in summers in AK before coming to ID. it was in Idaho quite a while as well.

the speedo is only showing 1900 ish miles so reality is the amount of miles could be very low.

I am a fan of the plastic.

I would not hesitate on reinstalling them. they are much quieter..

Mike

Beartooth

I'm with snowsurfer! looking forward to getting these or something on the snowtrac. It is ashame, as i have the tracks all apart too.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
I can see where the plastic might work with the two band system where there is a drum to take the side loading. I would worry about having the same type on a three band like mine where there is no drum.
Still haven't seen price and delivery from a foundry for 4 sprockets for a 3 band. Just a lot of maybe...

CT

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Just spit-balling here, but would a harder aluminum work, say a 6061 or something?

Or have them hard anodized?

I don't know, but like the uhmw plastic, if you were willing to trade years vs season, I would think it would work OK. If I thought that sandcast playdough would work, I would be willing to give it a try. I need /now/ and replace in couple of years OK, vs someday have "right parts".

Mine are almost sharp triangles
CT

3512b

GOLD Site Supporter
The cad drawing are at the steve's (CAC plastics )supplier they are find tuning the program now
So stay tune

Slinky Pickle

Just thought I would offer up some help to anyone looking for sprocket help. I used to design sawmill sprockets for all sorts of chain pitches and sizes. UHMW is an excellent material for sprockets especially if you back it up with a steel support plate.

I built the sprockets for my Jeep tracks out of UHMW with a steel support hub. To date, they have shown virtually zero where and are standing up great. SnowTrac sprockets would obviously need to be much heavier than mine but the concept has worked on many sprockets I've had built over the years.

Also, CNC machining is not really necessary if you can find a water jet cutter. They can cut out a profile much quicker and cheaper than a milling machine with more than enough accuracy to do the job.

wkqskh.jpg

Anyways, if anyone wants some sprocket patterns made just let me know.

Here's a video of mine in action.

https://youtu.be/fHZTWdPJLdM

SP

SnowTrac Hunter

Does anyone have a vendor and price for the 2 band sprockets? I would like to buy a set for my Snow Trac since the brass ones I currently have are worn out. Please post if you have the info.
Thanks,
Joe

Bombi1

GOLD Site Supporter
I now have patterns for both types of ST4 sprockets.
Have been in contact with two foundries for cost estimates.
One wants around $300 and the other is about $350.
Those quotes are based on a set of four.
Larger quantity may bring it down some, but probably not much.
The foundries are in the Seattle area.

I am going to check with some others to see if they can do better.

willd

I will take 5 sprockets for a 3 belt model as soon as you can get them, at either price. It costs more to ship them to the states than the price difference of getting them cast at either place. If you want to start a thread just for the foundry production run. It would make it easy for you to get orders. I can pay the foundry direct for mine and shipping if you PM me the info.

Thanks. Will.

Bombi1

GOLD Site Supporter
Do you need the Old or newer style.
The hub that they mount to determines which type.
old #ST30A
Newer# ST50

willd

Pretty sure it's the newer style. My machine is a 1968 or so model. I have the 3 belt tracks with inboard brakes.

I tried to find pictures of the two different sprockets but I couldn't tonight. Fairly certain last year I was told it needed the ST50's.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
68 with 3 belts is a franken machine 3 belts were 73 or newer I would suggest putting up some pics

willd

See if this works.

Attachments

• 1403488575445.jpg
    1403488575445.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 459
  • 1403488566987.jpg
    1403488566987.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 458
  • 1403488898820.jpg
    1403488898820.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 446

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think ID is simple..

AB Westermaskiner built machines are two band tracks and require ST30A sprockets.

Aktive ST4's are three band tacked, and require ST50 sprockets. 1970 was the year of transition, as that is when Aktive acquired the rights to manufacture the Snow Trac.

If your track styles don't match this, then some were along the line, it was modified. Two band, require ST30A and three band ST50.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Kirk

Rbenjamin30

Hello - RBenjamin30 back still looking for bronze replacement drive sprockets (number ST52) for ST4 serial number 1962. Need a full set and would like to have a spare set. Please let me know if the ST52s are still available. Will pay whatever going rate is plus shipping.

From my reading it appears that the ST50 and ST 52 are the same but would like to confirm.

Also I have a set (2) of new ST30a sprockets if someone needs them. Purchased them when I first bought machine but they will not fit my machine. Can swap or sell.

Bombi1

GOLD Site Supporter
RBen
ST52 is the correct number for the newer type.
Pattern is at foundry now to make one, to verify the dimensions.

I sent you a PM