• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Cell phone while driving

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Talking on your cellphone is about the dumbest thing anyone can do. Anyone with any shred of sense shouldn't be so stupid as to divide his attention between the road and the sound of someone else's voice when driving on a public or interstate road.

It spells risk for anyone who chooses to be so reckless and blame can be assigned to nobody but them.

Would not that same risk also include talking with your passenger?
Please explain the difference.

Some of us can do two things at once very well. I prove this theory daily when I read the paper as I sit on the toilet.

Gunsrus

Would not that same risk also include talking with your passenger?
Please explain the difference.

Some of us can do two things at once very well. I prove this theory daily when I read the paper as I sit on the toilet.

Well, for me, the difference is that if someone is sitting next to you, they're presidential, which means they're a part of the car you're driving, so you can perceive them as you do the sound of the engine and not be distracted from driving properly.

Now, somebody talking to you on the phone is a distant element. He or she is not with you, but removed from the car. This makes your attention wonder away from where you are. To my mind, this can cause a distraction.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, for me, the difference is that if someone is sitting next to you, they're presidential, which means they're a part of the car you're driving, so you can perceive them as you do the sound of the engine and not be distracted from driving properly.

Now, somebody talking to you on the phone is a distant element. He or she is not with you, but removed from the car. This makes your attention wonder away from where you are. To my mind, this can cause a distraction.

Sorry man, but THAT stretch of logic makes no sense.

The radio is part of the car, yet the announcer is "distant" from me. So I guess by your logic one should not listen to talk radio in the car.

The sloopy cheeseburger in my hand, is In the car, therefore "presidential' though distracting.

If Tiffany Toth was in my car, that would also be "presidential" as she would be part of the car. And very distracting. Yet I am sure I could manage to avoid putting trees, signposts and such on my dashbord.

Distractions are ubiquitous. Drivers who cannot handle distractions are also ubiquitos. Making more useless laws does not change that reality.

It is not the cellophones fault someon ran into you with their car. It is their fault. And possibly yours because you weren't paying attention to the other driver's lack of control.

One should never assume the other driver is competent. Not ever.

Last edited:

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Question for whoever wishes to answer and we're not talking about radios, big breasted hotties, or hamburgers. Just the cell phone.

Do you think you're a "safer" driver if you eliminate the distraction of talking on a cell phone?

Yes/No please...

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Damn ! We must have a lot of members who have switched over to being Democrates ??? They are only folks I know that "think" they have it all figured out and exempt themselves by the fact that they are superior minds to the rest of us .Did'nt Hitler think his race was superior too . I wonder what went wrong there ???:unsure:
I sincerely hope none of you "Hands on" cell phone uses never have a bad or fatal accident to you , a family member, or friend OR cause one , cause you are going to look pretty damn stupid . But by then it will be too late .
Good Luck , You already rolled the dice .

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Sorry man, but THAT stretch of logic makes no sense.

The radio is part of the car, yet the announcer is "distant" from me. So I guess by your logic one should not listen to talk radio in the car.

The sloopy cheeseburger in my hand, is In the car, therefore "presidential' though distracting.

If Tiffany Toth was in my car, that would also be "presidential" as she would be part of the car. And very distracting. Yet I am sure I could manage to avoid putting trees, signposts and such on my dashbord.

Distractions are ubiquitous. Drivers who cannot handle distractions are also ubiquitos. Making more useless laws does not change that reality.

It is not the cellophones fault someon ran into you with their car. It is their fault. And possibly yours because you weren't paying attention to the other driver's lack of control.

One should never assume the other driver is competent. Not ever.

I think it flies just find . You listen to a Radio , you don't talk to it . Maybe you do , but I don't .
I have radios in all my cars and trucks . The one I have in my favorite truck has not been turn on in 10 years at least . I don't need distractions driving down the road . I got to watch out for every other car out there and the people/ animals around me .
If I hear a siren I pull over , not tell someone on a cell phone to hang on while I attempt to figure out what and where that sound is coming from .

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Lets see how long the insurance company keeps you insured when you expose the fact or are convicted that you were talking on a cell phone when you caused the accident .
:yum::yum::yum:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I think it flies just find . You listen to a Radio , you don't talk to it . Maybe you do , but I don't .
I have radios in all my cars and trucks . The one I have in my favorite truck has not been turn on in 10 years at least . I don't need distractions driving down the road . I got to watch out for every other car out there and the people/ animals around me .
If I hear a siren I pull over , not tell someone on a cell phone to hang on while I attempt to figure out what and where that sound is coming from .

I guess by your comments your truck is spotless, radio knobs show no wear, no coffee spill on the rugs or burger wrappers, cigarette butts, because there is absolutely nothing you do when driving but concentrate on the road ahead. Your wife must love the silence of those long drives together.:whistling:

But let us be real here.

You cannot make the case, and tell me that a radio program doesn't take a small percentage of you attention. But, on the other hand, a cell phone conversation takes enough more to warrant being illegal.

It is a question of attention and where it is focused.
Is it on your passenger?
The radio?
The kids'?
The dog?

Again, tell me the difference.

If driving takes 100% of your atention then I sugggest your driving skills will, at some point, be easily overcome by normal traffic conditions.

I seldom talk on the cell when drivng. But when I do, I have yet to have an accident, or even close. And I too pull over for sirens.
How does a cell phone stop me from doing that?

Last edited:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Lets see how long the insurance company keeps you insured when you expose the fact or are convicted that you were talking on a cell phone when you caused the accident .
:yum::yum::yum:

Only if it happens in a state where cell phone use is illegal. If it happens in a state which has no such law. The other lawyer must prove the cell use caused the accident. If i was not on the phone, he could try proving my radio wastoo loud, or my attention was on my wife's titties or the hot coffee i just spille in my lap. But he would have to prove "I diverted my attention from driving to another activity"

In Connecticut, if you were on the phone at the time of an accident, the Legislature simple made it a pre-determination, that the accident was your fault,,,,this despite any other facts. So they made a search of my son's phone use at the time. He was stopped at a traffic light, and not on the phone, when the Fire truck ran into his van. Yet they wanted to pin it on him. Or the driver he was pushed into by the impact.

Had he (or she) been on the phone, the facts suddenly change? No the law suddenly predetermines fault. Which is why they want the convenience of having the law in place.

Kinda like if it was illegal to own a gun, it makes self defense with a gun, illegal. Allen, I suspect you would sing a different tune when that argument is in play. But right now, you are just mad at idiot drivers and blaming it on their cell phone. Idiot drivers have plenty of diversios which take the focus of their minds off of what they are doing. Identify and make all of them illegal.....we will still have idiot drivers.

Last edited:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Only if it happens in a state where cell phone use is illegal. If it happens in a state which has no such law. The other lawyer must prove the cell use caused the accident. If i was not on the phone, he could try proving my radio wastoo loud, or my attention was on my wife's titties or the hot coffee i just spille in my lap. But he would have to prove "I diverted my attention from driving to another activity"

In Connecticut, if you were on the phone at the time of an accident, the Legislature simple made it a pre-determination, that the accident was your fault,,,,this despite any other facts. So they made a search of my son's phone use at the time. He was stopped at a traffic light, and not on the phone, when the Fire truck ran into his van. Yet they wanted to pin it on him. Or the driver he was pushed into by the impact.

Had he (or she) been on the phone, the facts suddenly change? No the law suddenly predetermines fault. Which is why they want the convenience of having the law in place.

Kinda like if it was illegal to own a gun, it makes self defense with a gun, illegal. Allen, I suspect you would sing a different tune when that argument is in play. But right now, you are just mad at idiot drivers and blaming it on their cell phone. Idiot drivers have plenty of diversios which take the focus of their minds off of what they are doing. Identify and make all of them illegal.....we will still have idiot drivers.

Once upon a time seatbelts weren't mandatory either. And drinking before driving wasn't a concern. It comes down to safety. Would you want to live the rest of your life knowing that you either seriously injured or killed someone because you were distracted while driving? I don't think so.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Do 40-50000 miles a year. I drive one hand on the wheel.
Sometimes two.
I use a cell phone for talking, not texting.
I use the radio/audio system
I do lotsa things, like turn signals, wipers, cruise, etc.
I read the street signs
I read the billboards
I look at babes in the car passing me or when I pass them
I look at babes walking (not much of that in Wisconsin, so I guess I'mm a better driver there)
I look at the on/off ramps for radarrangers
I am a "distracted" driver, I guess.

The last accident I had I was 100% committed to driving, as I was in a snowstorm, when a semi blasted by at least 75 mph and literraly blew me off the road. That was around 2005.

No other accidents.

Some of y'all that are so strict on driving "undistracted" must not have your brain connected the same way those of us that can drive distracted do. Im not saying this as an insult or anything like that. I am saying biologically, you are different than us. I can multitask. I can type an email to person x whiole talking to person y on the ohone, and about completely different subjects. I am wired to do more than 1 thing at a time. In fact, I don't like doing one at a time. It is boring.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Question for whoever wishes to answer and we're not talking about radios, big breasted hotties, or hamburgers. Just the cell phone.

Do you think you're a "safer" driver if you eliminate the distraction of talking on a cell phone?

Yes/No please...

NO
There are plenty of other distractions to keep me occupied.
If I'm not on the phone, I am looking at any number of things.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Once upon a time seatbelts weren't mandatory either. And drinking before driving wasn't a concern. It comes down to safety. Would you want to live the rest of your life knowing that you either seriously injured or killed someone because you were distracted while driving? I don't think so.

In 1984 I spent $1,800.00 to put a cell phone in my Mark Cross "K" car convertible.

Some 200,000 miles later, having suffered no collisions, I moved it to my Dodge minivan(280K), then my Ford Ranger (180K) pickup.

Later with pocket size phones I had it in my Dodge Ram one ton (280K), my 99 minivan (220K), My Chrysler Crossfire (50K).

Some 1,170,000 miles.

As a small bussiness Owner, I have made use of those 23,000 hours without one single mishap. Not a one.

I also have not had an accident because of a cigarette in my lap, or a coffee, or a slice of Pizza, or a child misbehaving, or a radio commentary from Mark Levin or Piers Morgan.

I know that is an amazing statistic given the known dangers of cell phones and the apparent certainty that a cell phone's use will be the cause of an accident.

But I seriously doubt the odds are in favor of your suggestion.

If I have an accident, it will most likely be because I fucked up. Cell phone or no cell phone, that is the usual cause of an accident. And your assumption that one cannot responsibly use a cell phone while driving is factualy unsupportable. Unless you include ALL distractions available to ALL drivers in our country.

Do we blame the brewery for drunk driving?
Do we blame the publisher for someone readng while driving?
Do we blame Mabeline?
If a child rockets thru the winsheild, because the parent didn't fasten the seat belt, what law protected the child? Should we hold the designer and manufacturer responsible?

Some do and I believe they also are wrong. Blame the driver. Period.

I am amazed at the number of conservatives here who somehow find behavior control to be an acceptable and superior to authentic assignment of responsibility. Freedom is messy and dangerous.

Live with it or die enslaved. One little controlled activity at a time.

Last edited:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
hey I have to agree with you all on one point or another first if you can't safely operate a vehicle and do something else don't, you have to know your limitations as I have theradio playing in my truck on low , never touch the knobs.I know some folks have to constantly change the station play list or cd those folks will find themselves distracted as for phones to pick up a phone while driving I don't find it to be too much of a distraction. I also keep it short I don't try to talk a half hour while driving. again I go back to know your limitations and exercise common sense all these stupid and mostly un enforceable laws are the result of insurance company's lobbing for laws which will limit their liability so they can make more profit I have yet to see my rates go down as a result of any of these stupid laws. Allen I see your point but the laws against this stuff are stupid and unenforceable, there are al ready laws to cover accident's if you let your self get too distracted why make more. What needs to happen is more awareness of how these things affect your driving kind of like the old Shell commercials remember the look right than left and the 2 second following distance commercial's. just a little something to remind some of our dumb asse drivers out there is more to driving than putting a key into the ignition. by the way I know my limitations if you ring me while driving a truck in town with a road ranger transmission you are sol I'm not going to answer my hands are too busy doing other stuff

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
Squerly, for your survey I have to say "No". Either you brain can multitask or it can't and I don't believe using a cell phone
or two-way radio is any more distracting than all of the other things that I must pay attention to when driving, such as:
Speedometer, mirrors, road signs, other drivers, engine status indicators, etc.. Plus the list Waybomb just posted.

Having been a driver for many years, I have had three accidents: two were cases where an animal decided my
vehicle was the perfect way to commit suicide, and one where I was sitting in a parking area and a damned fool backed
right into me. None of those involved distracted driving, at least on my part.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Well Then ..... That about says it all . Hope I don't see you all arriving first to the accident ,that will eventually happen .:smile:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Well Then ..... That about says it all . Hope I don't see you all arriving first to the accident ,that will eventually happen .:smile:

After more than a million miles, I doubt it likely.

For you concerns and safety, I only drive in the lower 48.
Best stay clear of them.:whistling: As I intend to continue, cell phone handy.

I've seen idiots on cellphones walk into fountains and posts. Until they make stupidity illegal,,,,,,best watch out for them too

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/21/AR2011012103039.html

Last edited:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
OK, cellphones can be dangerous but not as dangerous as the young lady who passed me on I-45 north of Houston a few years ago.

When I watched her go by I thought she was painting her fingernails. Only after a second look did I realize she was painting her toenails. She had her foot up on the steering wheel with the bottle of varnish in one hand and the brush in the other. That scared me enough to slow way down and let her get far ahead of me. Jeez.

I'd take a cell phone user over that any day.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Okay. While a lot of us can probably handle distractions while driving, sadly the laws are designed to protect the ones who can't from themselves and others. While I can handle driving while talking on a cell phone or doing other things, I see many people every single day who should take a 6 month course to drive a bicycle let alone drive a car. Laws are generally designed to protect the idiots of this world from themselves. It boils down to common sense and a lot of people out there lack that capacity therefore laws must be put in place to protect the ones who do have common sense from the ones who don't.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Those are some awesome driving records Franc and Waybomb!

Given everyone is handing out their driving qualifications I may as well get on board too. For the last 12 out of 14 years I participated in numerous driving/racing events each year at Road Atlanta, VIR Raceway, Roebling Road, and Barber Motor Sports. I own a 2002 GT2 Porsche with 19,000 miles, almost all of which were driven at (or trying to get to) redline at the above mentioned racetracks.

I also (until year before last) owned/raced a 930 Porsche which earned me the nickname of “Squerly”. Driving a 930 successfully is a difficult achievement and many have been introduced to the wall in their efforts to learn. In addition to these horsepower monsters I raced a Panoz for several years, a car which few (if any) of you have probably heard of. I've had several "mishaps" but these are the things you know can happen at speed and each time I've learned from the experience. I’m also glad to say all the safety equipment worked as advertised. :biggrin:

I understand the physics of handling a car, I’ve previously held a racing license and I’ve been an instructor for the Porsche Club on numerous occasions. None of this means Waybomb, Franc or anyone else isn't a good driver, but what it does mean is that I know how to drive very well. And as a person with better than average driving skills, I can say with confidence that when I’m on a cell phone I’m not as safe a driver as I would be if I were not on the cell phone.

Anyone who decides to navigate 3,500 lbs of motorized steel down a public hwy has an obligation to the rest of us to apply 100% of their attention to the task. Talking on a cell phone, eating a sloppy hamburger, playing chess or having sex while you drive is a unnecessary distraction that, IMHO, you should not be doing.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter

Given everyone is handing out their driving qualifications I may as well get on board too. For the last 12 out of 14 years I participated in numerous driving/racing events each year at Road Atlanta, VIR Raceway, Roebling Road, and Barber Motor Sports. I own a 2002 GT2 Porsche with 19,000 miles, almost all of which were driven at (or trying to get to) redline at the above mentioned racetracks.

I also (until year before last) owned/raced a 930 Porsche which earned me the nickname of “Squerly”. Driving a 930 successfully is a difficult achievement and many have been introduced to the wall in their efforts to learn. In addition to these horsepower monsters I raced a Panoz for several years, a car which few (if any) of you have probably heard of. I've had several "mishaps" but these are the things you know can happen at speed and each time I've learned from the experience. I’m also glad to say all the safety equipment worked as advertised. :biggrin:

I understand the physics of handling a car, I’ve previously held a racing license and I’ve been an instructor for the Porsche Club on numerous occasions. None of this means Waybomb, Franc or anyone else isn't a good driver, but what it does mean is that I know how to drive very well. And as a person with better than average driving skills, I can say with confidence that when I’m on a cell phone I’m not as safe a driver as I would be if I were not on the cell phone.

Anyone who decides to navigate 3,500 lbs of motorized steel down a public hwy has an obligation to the rest of us to apply 100% of their attention to the task. Talking on a cell phone, eating a sloppy hamburger, playing chess or having sex while you drive is a unnecessary distraction that, IMHO, you should not be doing.

Well .... I think I am the best driver out cause I said so :whistling:.

Maybe ????:unsure: ok...ok...I don't know .
I once slept in a MOTEL 6 so I guess I know damn well I can do anything !!!maybe ...

Who wants me to do Brain surgery on you or your kids while I talk on a cell phone ??? Chances of death should be pretty close to the same thing as driving a car .... Any takers ???? anyone ????

Bunch of blow hard wimpy chickens :clap::w00t2::yum:. I know damn well I can ....maybe :unsure:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter

Cell phone or sex....No contest. I would give up driving for sex.

:clap:

With all due respect Jim, the comparison is unequal.But let us be real here. no one is suggesting that driving in a race one can safely talk on their cell. This despite the fact that NASCAR drivers and other racers talk to their pit crews during 200 MPH racing.

Any road rally I have been in, the navigator,(in my case the Nagravator) is constantly talking, giving updates on what is ahead, a turn to the right, a "T' intersection a decreasing radius or hairpin. Information the driver can compute as they take feedback from the vehicle "they are probably redlining," and process the info into action. But that is a far cry from driving the speed limit on a fairly empty interstate in calm weather. One could also make the argument the 100% concentration on driving is fatiguing and without a minor mental break a dangerous practice.

It is really a question of focus to the conditions. responsible drivers don't use the cell in bad weather or crowded traffic. Or while pulling a trailer or anything that requires added concentration on the job at hand because, truly one can only handle just so much. But why should a responsible driver give up the right to a cell phone because there are irresponsible drivers on the road?

My problem is states that make cell use illegal period. And predetermine guilt in an accident on the use of a cell phone because many accidents are caused by irresponsible drivers, some using their cell. Driving is a responsible task. All the safety equipment, seatbelts, air bags, won't prevent accidents. Because they do not prevent idiots from gaining access to the steering wheel and the gas pedal.

I respect your point of view and thank you for the compliments. But I cannot agree that cell phones cause accidents any more than any other distraction does. Good drivers don't put themselves in positions or conditions that get them hurt. Responsible cell phone use can be included in that behavior.

Last edited:

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
franc said:
Any road rally I have been in, the navigator,(in my case the Nagravator) is constantly talking, giving updates on what is ahead, a turn to the right, a "T' intersection a decreasing radius or hairpin. Information the driver can compute as they take feedback from the vehicle "they are probably redlining," and process the info into action. But that is a far cry from driving the speed limit on a fairly empty interstate in calm weather. One could also make the argument the 100% concentration on driving is fatiguing and without a minor mental break a dangerous practice.
Distraction (in the content we are using it) has nothing to do with 'fatigue'. When your attention is on the subject of the conversation (that you're having on the cell phone) then it's not on the guy next to you, in front of you or behind you. LOL, why is this such a tough concept for you?

franc said:
It is really a question of focus to the conditions. responsible drivers don't use the cell in bad weather or crowded traffic. Or while pulling a trailer or anything that requires added concentration on the job at hand because, truly one can only handle just so much. But why should a responsible driver give up the right to a cell phone because there are irresponsible drivers on the road?
Your statement is an endless loop Franc. A responsible driver on a cell phone is (IMO) an irresponsible driver.

franc said:
My problem is states that make cell use illegal period.
Agreed, but not because of the cell phone but because we have way too many useless laws already.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Distraction (in the content we are using it) has nothing to do with 'fatigue'. When your attention is on the subject of the conversation (that you're having on the cell phone) then it's not on the guy next to you, in front of you or behind you. LOL, why is this such a tough concept for you?

Your statement is an endless loop Franc. A responsible driver on a cell phone is (IMO) an irresponsible driver.

Agreed, but not because of the cell phone but because we have way too many useless laws already.

Your first statement is an opinion. A judgment of behavior based on your experience. I do not intrinsically dispute it. Just what you wish government to do about it.

You are welcome to it. But it should not interfere with my cell phone use. This particularly as I have demonstrated responsible and judicious care in the employment of my cell phone.

I put cell phone banishment in the same bucket and regulation of big gulps and trans fats. Responsible folks are judicious in their consumption lose because the nation is getting fat. Government control is just that. Control.

Ban texting while driving, yep I get that. But not talking. And it is possible to determine that. It is just harder to enforce with a street cop. At which point I bring you to our system of justice which, at least technically, does not allow a cop, or a traffic light camera, to judge your guilt or innocence on the spot.

But he can claim you are driving erratically or in attentively. And then testify in court. But surely it is sooooo much easier to simply predetermine guilt with a little law on the books that just says it is so.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Well geez guys .... All that crap about its just our opinion that cell phones are no worst than listening to a Radio or slurping on a Icee is the same thing , seems to be contested by someone a hell of a lot smarter than me . Its ONLY your opinion its ok . That's not a fact .

THIS is fact unless you don't recognize Harvard College as a 1st rate college to do the study .
Read it here .
You wanted proof . You got proof . Let me know it you want more actual Real life information to back up the facts .

Cell Phone Car Accidents: Driver Distraction, Auto Driving ...

Your Honor ..... We rest our case !!!:clap::shifty:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Well geez guys .... All that crap about its just our opinion that cell phones are no worst than listening to a Radio or slurping on a Icee is the same thing , seems to be contested by someone a hell of a lot smarter than me . Its ONLY your opinion its ok . That's not a fact .

THIS is fact unless you don't recognize Harvard College as a 1st rate college to do the study .
Read it here .
You wanted proof . You got proof . Let me know it you want more actual Real life information to back up the facts .

Cell Phone Car Accidents: Driver Distraction, Auto Driving ...

Your Honor ..... We rest our case !!!:clap::shifty:
I have no problem with the Harvard study. But all it shows is the correlation between cell phone related accidents and the explosion of cell phone use.
Simply put, in 1970 there was virtually no reports of cell phone re;lated accidents.
Today they are ubiquitous.

However, Vehicular accidents are on the decline as a relation to miles driven. What does that statistic mean?
The answer is likely best based on what I want to prove with it.

Statistics are wonderful creatures that properly tortured can and will say anything you want.

Shall we try this theory?.....
Those 200 national auto deaths possibly attributed to Cell phone use in your lauded study, compares to 10, 839 Alcohol related auto deaths in 2009. Fact! Do the math. We have torturous laws on the books condemning alcohol use while driving. Cell phones are blamed for less than .2% of auto deaths by comparison. How effective have the anti alcohol programs been in the mortality statistics. No disrespect to the 200 lost souls but the number is almost a nuisance by comparison.

"If only one child is saved by this comprehensive gun control law,,,,it is worth it"

By the way, I love the comprehensive analysis. "by these pictures it would seem........ yada yada." So scientific.

Sorry Allen, I get it that cell phone distractions causes accidents. No argument. But so do many distractions. However, no Harvard study wants to prove those other 200 or so deaths caused by people being foolish with burgers, makeup, and reading the papers. Here's a statistic for ya....For more than 30 years and over 1,170,000 miles I have demonstrated judicious and responsible use of my cell phone in my car. That was not luck. (BTW, during that interval and before, I also never drove intoxicated. Another responsible choice.)

BTW, Cellphone use, according to some studies, seems to be the cause of brain tumors.... Wooohoooaahhhha! Let's just shut it all down!

Last edited:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
However, Vehicular accidents are on the decline as a relation to miles driven. What does that statistic mean?
The answer is likely best based on what I want to prove with it.

LOL . Now that is funny .
I would really like to see a proven reliable study source for that one or is that your personal opinion ? A study paid for by Cross Fire Owners of America , State Farm Insurance , Or Verizon probably won't be proven as a reliable unbiased source :biggrin:.

Statistics are wonderful creatures that properly tortured can and will say anything you want.

A study conducted by a college that has nothing to gain will mean a hell of a lot more to me than a Oil company paying for a private study to prove it wrong .

Not trying to change your mind as it is obvious you feel that in any situation using a phone while driving seems to be ok .You are a superior driver , I get that , We will just have to agree to disagree until the shit does ,and it will, hit the fan .

Good luck with your theory .:smile:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
A study conducted by a college that has nothing to gain will mean a hell of a lot more to me than a Oil company paying for a private study to prove it wrong .

Not trying to change your mind as it is obvious you feel that in any situation using a phone while driving seems to be ok .You are a superior driver , I get that , We will just have to agree to disagree until the shit does ,and it will, hit the fan .

Good luck with your theory .:smile:

Please Allen, at least argue responsibly.
Oil company? No oil company paid me anything.

Although friends compliment my competitive driving skills at the track, I am hardly and expert. Just competent. As my accident record indicates.

As for "in any situation", I clearly did not say any such thing. I in point of fact said the opposite in post #52. I have simply maintained all along, that proper and responsible cell use, while driving, is appropriate and safe.

My opinion is that;
We should not lose the right to do so out of fear of idiots. Or to well meaning people wishing to do good, with the best of intentions.

If you are so sure it WILL happen....
Send me your cell number. When the shit hits the fan, and I have an accident while texting....... I'll call you from my cell and apologize for my stubborn stand on personal rights.

Don't hold your breath though....I never text. not ever.

Last edited:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Please Allen, at least argue responsibly.
Oil company? No oil company paid me anything.

QUOTE]
I don't think I did say any oil company paid you . Do you do studies?? I was not aware of that .

As far as debating responsibly ,I thought I was . I guess if my opinion ,based on the facts/studies that I have included for all to see , is not the correct way to debate a topic , maybe I should just say I am bigger than you and try to bully my point across :unsure:. Would that be the best way to debate ??

Man I guess I got it all wrong on the college debate team . Wonder why we never lost a debate in all those years ??? Facts can sure fuck up a good debate .:unsure:Sorry

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter

As for conversation, that distraction can happen, if one allows it, with a passenger. Why do you not get that?

"then it's not on the guy next to you, in front of you or behind you."
.Jim,

I feel a need to address this point. Again not trying to argue, or brag, just explain.
What you state here is the essence of a good driver. My driving instructor was merciless. He would cover the mirror briefly and ask, "what color, what make and model is behind you" "To the left of you" etc. Failure to answer meant you had to pull over and did not get any more driving time that day.

My dad always insisted that one should enter and leave traffic unnoticed, having affected no one else's travel by my presence on the road. Except and unless it was to be courteous and helpful. One cannot do that without being cognizant of each and every vehicle in traffic with you, and be calculating and anticipating the intentions of all the other drivers.

I am one of those rare drivers that drops his lights to let truckers know they are clear. Every time. Even if I am on the phone. And always reply in kind when they do it for me when my trailer is along behind me.

That is how I always drive and why I have a very low incident record of entanglements with other vehicles. This despite redline driving any and every chance I get. Most, but not all, of my car repairs have been the result of parking lot incidents by other drivers.