• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Doctor says I need a c-pap machine

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well for a newbie with a Cpap apparently I'm doing pretty well with it.

87% of the time I get over 6 hours of sleep with the unit on.

He says he wants to see me again in 6 months.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
How is it going with your CPAP Bob (and anyone else using one)? Do you still need to use it nightly?
I had a sleep study as my wife noticed my symptoms. I had no idea but I was always tired. Thought it was part of getting older, just life.

I've been using the CPAP since last Thursdy, so one week in. I have the nose one with 'pillows'. The least intrusive the nurse said. It does work well and I'm getting used to it. I can sleep through the night. Before I was up three and four times a night for peeing. Now I sleep through the night or get up once. The study showed I woke up 52 times per hour. Never entered REM sleep. With the CPAP I got REM sleep. I do feel better, but my nose is sore. I've been told that will go away once I'm used to wearing this thing.

My CPAP only needs a little distilled water added. Thankfully no oxygen tank like a coworker had to have.

For those using CPAP, do you travel with yours? Do you use it every night? It is not the nightmare I thought it would be ...actually it is awesome to get a real nights sleep for a change.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
How is it going with your CPAP Bob (and anyone else using one)? Do you still need to use it nightly?
I had a sleep study as my wife noticed my symptoms. I had no idea but I was always tired. Thought it was part of getting older, just life.

I've been using the CPAP since last Thursdy, so one week in. I have the nose one with 'pillows'. The least intrusive the nurse said. It does work well and I'm getting used to it. I can sleep through the night. Before I was up three and four times a night for peeing. Now I sleep through the night or get up once. The study showed I woke up 52 times per hour. Never entered REM sleep. With the CPAP I got REM sleep. I do feel better, but my nose is sore. I've been told that will go away once I'm used to wearing this thing.

My CPAP only needs a little distilled water added. Thankfully no oxygen tank like a coworker had to have.

For those using CPAP, do you travel with yours? Do you use it every night? It is not the nightmare I thought it would be ...actually it is awesome to get a real nights sleep for a change.

I travel all the time with one, I'd be miserable without it. If you get use to it you will NOT want to do a night without it!!!! I actually have 3 machines ..... my bed, nap room (I'm not ashamed I have a nap every now and then when I do work marathons in a upstairs bedroom beside my office) and my travel machine. I use a nasal mask. I haven't used a humidifier in years, only did it a few months and stopped using it. Only time I notice it is when we have long stints of dry weather and it's never too bad.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I travel all the time with one, I'd be miserable without it. If you get use to it you will NOT want to do a night without it!!!! I actually have 3 machines ..... my bed, nap room (I'm not ashamed I have a nap every now and then when I do work marathons in a upstairs bedroom beside my office) and my travel machine. I use a nasal mask. I haven't used a humidifier in years, only did it a few months and stopped using it. Only time I notice it is when we have long stints of dry weather and it's never too bad.
Thanks Dawg. My CPAP has a water reservoir that needs fresh distilled water nightly. I have to rinse it each morning so that it drys completely before using later that night.

Saying no humidifier does that mean your CPAP does not use distilled water?

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Dawg. My CPAP has a water reservoir that needs fresh distilled water nightly. I have to rinse it each morning so that it drys completely before using later that night.

Saying no humidifier does that mean your CPAP does not use distilled water?

I've never seen a CPAP machine that had a permanently mounted humidifier. I think if you look closer it can be removed. I can tell right now you're doing what they recommend but 99% of users don't clean every day and I never did. When I did use it, I just filled it back up (yeah, distilled water). I know that's the biggest reason I quit using it, too much hassle ...............

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

I use it every night. 100% compliance. Average is over 6 hours per night. Home unit has a water tank, which is removable.

As for travel, I actually bought a compact unit (fits in palm of my hand, weighs under 1#), which is somewhat loud and bothers my wife (but not me). So yes, I travel with a CPAP too. Human Design Z1 CPAP.

https://hdmusa.com/product/z1-cpap/

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
My brother died of sleep apnea. No one told him he needed a CPAP. He just stopped breathing. He was 49.
Use the thing!

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
Last July...I woke up about 0200 and knew I needed to get some help...headed to the emergancy room.....they preped me and around 07oo the morning of the 5th I went to sergury.....the morning they took the breathing tube out the doc ask if I was on a cpap......didnt even know what he was talking about...10 minets later I found out what it was and how to use it.....Must admit when I first saw it...didnt think I was going to axcept it......must say that by the time I checked out of the hospital ...I sure made certin it was comming home with me!! I have found that I get along best with a smaller mask....started out with a large and have worked down to a small...as for power out times..the utility we are with brought me a batt..back up and if we have a power outage it switches over on its own....and then back again when power comes back on....thats about it Doc....would not want to be without it ...

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've never seen a CPAP machine that had a permanently mounted humidifier. I think if you look closer it can be removed. I can tell right now you're doing what they recommend but 99% of users don't clean every day and I never did. When I did use it, I just filled it back up (yeah, distilled water). I know that's the biggest reason I quit using it, too much hassle ...............

My water reservoir is also removable. Sorry for the confusion.

My assumption is that the unit will not work without the water reservoir plugged into the machine...because the very first night I used it I did not have the water reservoir plugged all the way into the machine port and the machine error-ed.

If it will work, what is the diff between having the humidifier vs not using the humidifier?

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My water reservoir is also removable. Sorry for the confusion.

My assumption is that the unit will not work without the water reservoir plugged into the machine...because the very first night I used it I did not have the water reservoir plugged all the way into the machine port and the machine error-ed.

If it will work, what is the diff between having the humidifier vs not using the humidifier?

I have to say there is a way to remove the reservoir, may not look like it but I bet there is a way to separate the water reservoir and pump unit. Look for a power inlet on the pump. If there is it can be seperated and you ise the power supply on the pump. Dry nose when weather is dry ..............

Glenn9643

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've been using my CPAP since I retired in 2000 and discovered I had sleep apnea. I think I'm on my third machine... and I use it every time I lie down to rest. Any time I leave the house for overnight travel my machine goes with me. I couldn't handle the pillows in my nose and have a mask that covers my nose. You'll learn to love the thing!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've been using my CPAP since I retired in 2000 and discovered I had sleep apnea. I think I'm on my third machine... and I use it every time I lie down to rest. Any time I leave the house for overnight travel my machine goes with me. I couldn't handle the pillows in my nose and have a mask that covers my nose. You'll learn to love the thing!

YUP :in_love::in_love::in_love:

My head hits the pillow, even on a rainy weekend afternoon, and that mask is on my face.

My water reservoir is also removable.

Personal preference and comfort.

My mouth dries out if I don't have humidity. I wake up with mouth pain. Even if I fall asleep breathing through my nose I wake up with pain from a dry mouth and throat.

So I need the water reservoir to sleep comfortably.

When I use the little travel Z1 unit I take a humidifier sponge unit that is connected between the hose & the mask. They can be purchased from Amazon and other sources. Much more expensive than water, only last for about 7 nights, sometimes less, must be stored in a ZipLock bag when not in use. But they are small and disposable so ideal for travel.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
My cardiologist ordered a sleep study in 2004 (I think) which clearly showed apnea; I've been on a cpap ever since. The current machine is my third, which I've had for less than a month and it's the smallest one yet. It has a built-in humidifier which has to be attached to the machine in order for it to work at all, but it can be run with the reservoir empty; I won't because I feel so much better in the morning with the moisture.

Anyone who has sleep apnea and decides not to get and use a cpap it should be considered suicidal! Cat has given us the ultimate example of why that is true. If you have one, use it every night, and during any naps - your life may depend on it!!

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have problems going back to sleep after waking. One of the nice things about a CPAP is I can cover my head with the covers and it helps me go back to sleep. I couldn't otherwise without a CPAP ................... :sleep:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have problems going back to sleep after waking. One of the nice things about a CPAP is I can cover my head with the covers and it helps me go back to sleep. I couldn't otherwise without a CPAP ................... :sleep:

Ditto

My doctor prescribed Gabapentin for me. Does not put me to sleep initially but helps me not wake up and/or get back to sleep.