Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Off Topic Forums > Computers, Cell Phones & Electronics Forum

Old 01-27-2010, 03:13 PM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Thanked 8,971 Times in 3,633 Posts
Melensdad has a spectacular aura aboutMelensdad has a spectacular aura about
Question Apple's new iPAD > computer, browser, e-reader, etc

iPAD? that just sounds wrong...but it seems to have potential for something, I'm just not sure what? If the screen is glossy then it would probably make a lousy e-reader. With an on screen keyboard it has computer functionality but I question its computing power. I guess I don't understand the niche. Now if the screen is not glossy then it might make for a very nice e-reader, but the battery life is 10 hours, while NOOK and Kindle have a couple days of battery life.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/the-apple-ipad/
After nearly a decade of rumors and speculation, Apple's finally unveiled the iPad. It's a half-inch thick and weighs just 1.5 pounds, with a 9.7-inch capacitive touchscreen IPS LCD display, and it's running a custom 1GHz Apple "A4" chip developed by the P.A. Semi team, with a 10-hour battery life and a month of standby. It'll come in 16, 32, and 64GB sizes, and it's got the expected connectivity: very little. There's a 30-pin Dock connector, a speaker, a microphone, Bluetooth, and 802.11n WiFi, as well as an accelerometer and a compass. The device is managed by iTunes, just like the iPhone -- you sync everything over to your Mac. There's also a 3G version that comes with new data plans: 250MB for $14.99 and an unlimited plan for $29.99 a month. As expected, it can run iPhone apps -- either pixel-for-pixel in a window, or pixel-doubled fullscreen -- but developers can also target the new screen size using the updated iPhone OS SDK, which is available today.

Apple says there's room for a third device between the smartphone and the laptop, and that it has to be better at tasks like browsing, email, photos, e-books, and videos than both -- netbooks, says Steve, "aren't better at anything." It looks just like the leak we saw, with a large touchscreen keyboard that Steve says is "a dream to type on," and an interface that's very reminiscent of the iPhone, although it's significantly expanded and altered. The built-in apps are much more Mac-like than iPhone-like, with versions of iPhoto and iTunes that look like touch-oriented versions of their desktop counterparts. There's also some built-in location services that lets the Map app auto-locate, and the iTunes store is built-in for previewing and buying media.

And the less than serious take is already hitting YouTube:

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion:
the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases,
while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage
of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."
- Ayn Rand
Old 01-27-2010, 03:16 PM
Master of Distraction

PBinWA will become famous soon enoughPBinWA will become famous soon enough
Style: VB_Original_Style
Default Re: Apple's new iPAD > computer, browser, e-reader, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Skurka View Post
iPAD? that just sounds wrong...but it seems to have potential for something, I'm just not sure what? If the screen is glossy then it would probably make a lousy e-reader. With an on screen keyboard it has computer functionality but I question its computing power. I guess I don't understand the niche. Now if the screen is not glossy then it might make for a very nice e-reader, but the battery life is 10 hours, while NOOK and Kindle have a couple days of battery life.
It will be interesting to see the real world reviews and pricing.

I spend all day in front of a computer. I have no real desire for smart phone, iPod, or one of these but I think there is definitely a market for them.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

-Gerald Ford

Old 01-27-2010, 03:51 PM
Now a Published Author

fogtender will become famous soon enoughfogtender will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Skurka View Post

And the less than serious take is already hitting YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eF0y0IfpPU
That youtube version of the iPad is just wrong from a lot of different angles...
Old 01-27-2010, 04:00 PM
Silver Member

Tractors4u is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogtender View Post
That youtube version of the iPad is just wrong from a lot of different angles...
I must be warped, I gave him rep points for the video!!
Old 01-27-2010, 05:18 PM
Gone Flyin'

Av8r3400 will become famous soon enough

Explained to be 1/2 way between the iPhone and a Laptop.

Another overpriced piece of iCrap to fill a nonexistent need that will only siphon off what little money the ignorant, consumer populace has to spend.

I'd rather die trying to live,
than live trying not to die.

-Leonard Perry
Old 01-27-2010, 06:49 PM
Bronze Member

Gina is on a distinguished road

It makes me think of an over-sized calculator:

The video is hysterical and MadTv is going to love that Apple named it iPad. Someone in marketing research should get fired though. That video clip is from 2006. Even if the skit didn't exist, it kind of makes Apple look silly for not avoiding such an easy skewering of it.

I know, lots of products are parodied without harm to their sales, but marketing professionals generally shy away from ready-made embarassments.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,997 Times in 926 Posts
bczoom will become famous soon enoughbczoom will become famous soon enough
Style: T66

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBinWA View Post
I spend all day in front of a computer. I have no real desire for smart phone, iPod, or one of these but I think there is definitely a market for them.
DING DING DING, another with my sentiment.

My cell phone. I don't accept text messages. If I want to call someone, I open it and dial them. To me, IT'S A PHONE, and nothing more.

The rest of the family got iPod Touches for Christmas. WTF, they won't get off of them... At least they leave my alone while I browse FF now...
Old 01-27-2010, 07:41 PM
Bronze Member

Gina is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bczoom View Post
DING DING DING, another with my sentiment.

My cell phone. I don't accept text messages. If I want to call someone, I open it and dial them. To me, IT'S A PHONE, and nothing more.

The rest of the family got iPod Touches for Christmas. WTF, they won't get off of them... At least they leave my alone while I browse FF now...
I text my kids. It's great for short to the point questions and answers. That's all I need from them, not a conversation. I don't text with anyone else.

They all have iPod touches and I have to say they were very cool when we had occasion to sit around a hospital last year. They used the wireless to kill time and ease the tension.