• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tool Deals

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
I would think there are a great number of us here that use tools very frequently. But in order to use them, first ya gotta get 'em. What's the best tool deal you ever got? Where and how do you buy yours? What kind of tools [carpentry, mechanic, electrical, ect]. And finally, do you use them?:whistle:

The best deal ever for me was a Speedglas welding hood. Auto darkening 9-13, top of the line, for [hold onto your hat] FREE! :4_11_9: The plant had bought 6 of them a few years ago, and nobody wanted them!:eek: The toolcrib guy came into my office, and asked what to do with them. He had been told by his boss to trash them, give them away, just get rid of them. I told him to bring them in, we'll take care of them! Nicest hood I've ever used. ;)

That may be a little hard to top, but let's hear about your deal, or near deal.
:beer: :beer:

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Re: Dool Teals

My Brother had a nice AC225C welder (compact version). When he left town, he told me to come get it and "take care of it" for him. He's been gone 2 years now :D

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

4 gallon Devilbiss portable air compressor, finish nailer, 25 foot of hose, 2 pound of nails, googles and case for the nailer.......$110

Lowes clearance

Viking

Site Supporter

So far it has been the Porter-Cable router I bought yesterday at Sears in the clearance bin for $99.95 marked down from $239.95, model 690. And the icing on the cake was the 3x21 Porter-Cable 8 amp belt sander for $74.95 from the Sears clearance bin yesterday as well. I don't know what the regular price was on the sander though, but I think I did pretty well.

Himself

79 Dodge D100 318 A727 FREE needed a bit of fixing up.

IR v-twin compressor FREE (6 bucks for a switch diaphragm)

MIllermatic 210 wire and gas and helmet FREE (dug a foundation and pulled stumps for my BIL)

Sandvik 8 & 12 pt handsaws $6 each 20 years ago when I worked for them, been sharpened three times, best hand saws I ever owned. I should have bought more of 'em.

Bridgeport 220V 1PH complete with Mitutoyo X&Y DRO and shaper attachment FREE definitely a good deal.

Walker Turner 12" radial arm saw, what a beast, Free came with the house. This thing could easily kill me.

What was the question?

All the best,
Martin

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter

Wow....That's a toughie. Mrs C and I try to find deals where ever we can. One I can think of is my 8500 watt Coleman Powermate generator. Was a returned unit with only 40 hrs on it. original price about $1600.....they had it tagged at like $1100 I worked on them for a little over an hr and finally paid $750. Machine runs like a champ. I buy alot of my tools reconditioned at the big box store or at least I used to. Thier prices aren't as good as they used to be. I think they caught on....:whistle:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Not tools but a couple things come to mind.

I just picked up (2) 400 and (1) 250 gallon plastic tanks (the white tanks in the metal cages with a pallet type base. All 3 are brand new with the seals still on. I also got the nice stainless steel fittings to drop the discharge from a 2" down to a hose size. Price... FREE :D

10x20' carport... free

20 4x8' sheets of cabinet grade 1" birch plywood - $20 each.

Department store shelving (the nice heavy stuff). $1 per linear foot for the framework and $1 per 2.5' long shelf that hangs on it. BTW, I have some of this for sale if anyone's interested. Same price.

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$

bczoom said:
I just picked up (2) 400 and (1) 250 gallon plastic tanks (the white tanks in the metal cages with a pallet type base. All 3 are brand new with the seals still on. I also got the nice stainless steel fittings to drop the discharge from a 2" down to a hose size. Price... FREE
Brian.......Here's a picture of what I did with a "free" tank like you just got. I made a diesel fueling set-up from a 12v pick-up tank type transfer pump I had laying around. I made a special lid for the top heavy enough to support the pump & installed a hose & filter assy. 320 gallons of offroad for the tractor when I need it..........just an idea for you...........Tom

Attachments

• 372167-shop diesel tank.jpg
    372167-shop diesel tank.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 30

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Tom,

Nice setup. I hope you don't need that whole cart of batteries (left side of picture) to run that pump...

Actually, I just sold my 550 gallon fuel tank to Big_Dog (and his neighbor). I'm working on switching homeowners insurance and the new company didn't like me having that much fuel around. I have a couple 50'ish gallon tanks for fuel but I don't even use those since I don't go through that much fuel.

Brian

JimR

Charter Member

I've had so many that I lost track of them all. Here are a few of them. The wood lathe, cabinet ad 7 long handle tools was $50.00. The 8" jointer and base (not shown) was also $50.00. Last week I picked up a Milwaukee 1/2" D handle drill for $25.00 and a like new Porter Cable 690 Router and router table for $80.00. I won't even mention the powered backpack respirator system that I bought for $40.00, ooops I did mention it. Then there was a 10 Craftsman Radial Arm saw with base for $50.00 and the guy gave me a 6 foot maple laminated bench top, a Shop Vac wet and dry vac and a 4 wheeled dolly. I've been hitting them real good lately.

Attachments

• DSC00060.JPG
    DSC00060.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC00185.JPG
    DSC00185.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 29

JimR

Charter Member

I do spend a bit of time looking through the WantAdvertiser and watching the ads in the local paper. The drill I say for sale online and that guy also had the PC router/table and the respirator setup. He was in dire need of money from what I could see. The radial arm saw was from the WantAds.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, it's Black Friday.

Just got home after spending 7 hours out shopping (on top of the 8 hours I already worked...).

First stop was Sears to pick up the kids pictures. Arrived a little before 11:00 and saw some nice prices. At about 10:58, they started ripping down all the sales signs. I inquired and they said they're "early bird specials that end at 11:00". So, I grabbed all I could carry by and dashed to the register.
I got 5 of the Craftsman 20' retractable worklights - $9.99 each.
A digitial, full range multi-meter $14.99
A 2 1/4 ton Craftsman floor jack + 2 jack stands - $27.99
Something else but I forgot what it was...

Not too bad at Sears... got everything at 50% off or more.

Crossed the street and went into Lowe's.
Did my normal shopping but found (and bought) a couple things as I was in line at the register.
A Delta 10" compound mitre saw - $59
A 24v B&D cordless drill - $39.

Hmmm. I don't need anything of what I just bought but even though I had my Christmas list in hand, I didn't pick anything for anyone.

What should I do with it all?

JimR

Charter Member

Keep in for spares or in another part of the shop, garage or house so you don't have to go fetch a tool when you need it.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter

I need a compound saw, and that 24 volt drill has a home already here..........oh and the drop lights, need a couple of them too.

Santa knows the address

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Jim,

I thought of that (when buying) because you think you can always use another.

On the ride home (and since being home), I realized that I already have everything in duplicate or triplicate. In other cases, I'll walk 100' to the other shop to use/grab the 12" DeWalt miter saw instead of opening the box on the Delta.

The neighbor's already call me "Brian Depot" as they know whatever tool, hardware, or supply they need, I probably have in stock. In the past 10 years, they've only stumped me about 3 times. Then I went out and bought whatever it was.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

ddrane2115 said:
Santa knows the address
From the North Pole or from W. PA? If the latter, I've forgot it or mixed it up with all the other Santa requests I've received...

You said you already got the drill. Did I get a deal?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
EDIT/PS

I renamed this thread to change "Dool Teals" to "Tool Deals" for future search reference.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
You did get a deal, and I have a home for it here. I only have the 18 volt ones.........cheap skate that I am.